Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silentsage

P3D V5 - Core 0

Uuuuhhhh, makes the fact that ASOBO based their MSFS2020 on FSX somthing .... uhm .... interesting. 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

17 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Uuuuhhhh, makes the fact that ASOBO based their MSFS2020 on FSX somthing .... uhm .... interesting. 

Actually they did not. They simply examined the raw code for ESP so they could determine what elements they would need to include in MSFS to make it complete. Then proceeded to write their new sim around that framework.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 4/9/2020 at 10:47 PM, Dirk98 said:

I can't remember the details exactly but somebody from the software gurus on these boards had explained why all flight simulators would always be very much dependent on a single thread performance, it's like a law of the universe. 

This is not fact. It's just how it has been with some sims up til now.

There is no reason it has to be like that in future.

14 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Not true. They are using their own, in-house developed engine for MSFS and merely salvaged parts of FSX they could use, mostly for the legacy mode which is supposed to provide backward compatibility for aircraft. That's a huge difference.

2 hours ago, threegreen said:

Not true. They are using their own, in-house developed engine for MSFS and merely salvaged parts of FSX they could use, mostly for the legacy mode which is supposed to provide backward compatibility for aircraft. That's a huge difference.

Sounds exactly like what LM did with P3d.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Beg to differ... as best I can tell, LM started with the MS ESP code base and incrementally worked their way forward.

Bert

15 hours ago, SledDriver said:

This is not fact. It's just how it has been with some sims up til now.

There is no reason it has to be like that in future.

This is a fact up til now and on

(until proven by a future alternative one) 

))

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Beg to differ... as best I can tell, LM started with the MS ESP code base and incrementally worked their way forward.

Parting ways with MS ESP but leaving some legacy compatibility is how I read jabloomf

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I’m glad that you can tell. The only obvious feature that P3d shares with anything else is its file formats. Whatever else is "under the hood" could be totally different from any of its predecessors for all I know. MSFS could have been built in that same fashion, only so far just in one large increment. I guess we'll never know. This whole discussion of internal workings, engines and codebases is not only tiresome, it's also unproductive. Maybe someone will post in this thread that all P3d aircraft fly "like on rails". I always enjoy those dialogs.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I’m glad that you can tell. The only obvious feature that P3d shares with anything else is its file formats. Whatever else is "under the hood" could be totally different from any of its predecessors for all I know.

Really... :huh:

There is no mystery about the fact that P3D in its earliest release was MS ESP touched up.  LM announced that they had purchased the ESP code from Microsoft for "non-Entertainment" purposes..

Since then, much has been improved upon, and in its current release you may well be right :happy:

There is also no mystery about the fact that Asobo started with their own code base.. which is a different approach for sure.  Whether that will prove to be a wonderful thing.. I do indeed not know.  Lets see when it ships.. :smile:

Bert

On 4/12/2020 at 6:38 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

Asobo have always been pretty clear that their simulator is running on their own, in-house engine that was developed for earlier games and is now being utilized for MSFS after MS liked what they saw. What they salvaged from FSX in terms of backward compatibility is code to provide a legacy flight model so that older aircraft might not need a lot of work to be used in MSFS if the developer doesn't want to use Asobo's new flight model. That's all in terms of backward compatibility and by no means anywhere near the level of backward compatibility we are seeing with P3D.

If you say that sounds exactly like what LM did with P3D you're suggesting LM developed a new engine and a new simulator, P3D, based on that. By all accounts from people in the know of the "under the hood-stuff" that's far from what happened. LM are optimizing and continuing development of the ESP engine from FSX and while P3D is certainly a lot different now from FSX, I would say it's still clear where it comes from, which is FSX/ESP.

Pardon my astonishment at your comment, but there is a world of difference between what LM did with P3D and what Asobo are doing with regards to MSFS. This isn't based on inside knowledge but on what both developers have officially announced, and unless they're telling a different story from what's actually true for whatever reason, I see a lot of difference.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.