Sign in to follow this  
Mischung

P3DV5: Default-Mesh vs FS Global 2010 Mesh

Hi!

Now that V5 is out with updated mesh and airport data I wanted to check for the need of a 3rd party mesh addon or any elevation corrections (like Vector provided).

This was my setup up to V4.5:
- Mesh: FS Global 2010
- FTX Vector to provide the AEC (Vector therefore had its own set of airport BGLs, which was horrible regarding updated navdata!)
- Herve Sors updated stock airports in combination with FSAerodata to update other navdata (Again: It was a mess regarding the Vector and some LC airports!)

My plan for V5, which may come true:
- No need for an addon-mesh, or if using one, no need for airport elevation corrections (airport position should be correct now!)
- Future possibility to update the stock navdata using Herve Sors updates (I know he is working on that already).
- In short: less addons and keep it more simple 😉

So to start with, I did a comparison of the default mesh with my old FS Global 2010 mesh for several airports which are prone to elevation problems.
I put them together as animated GIFs, so you may just scroll down an see the differences.

Settings:
mesh resolution: 5m (for me this is enough and higher resolution causes some strange effects sometimes)
texture resolution: lowest possible setting (just because of the loading time when switching through all these airports 🤣) -> looks horrible I know
addons
: ORBX Global and all available LC-addons installed, but of course it's just for mesh comparison!

Conclusion:
My conclusion is, that the default-mesh and updated airports are pretty good now and I maybe will not use my (of course) quite old mesh-addon for now.
On the other side it did not cause severe elevation issues, so enabling it does not hurt (did not test all 24000 airports 🤪).
But see yourself and make up your own mind!

EKVG

8SZvbPD.gif

FHSH - St. Helena is included! 👍

2lawo0l.gif

GCLA

weJwEkU.gif

KTEX

C4fddOK.gif

LFLJ

gT8afTo.gif

LOWI

GYOS8Rp.gif

LPMA

8Ht4VbM.gif

LXGB

5zl6Hl3.gif

MGGT

NvX3lZE.gif

MHTG

GqFRjzv.gif

NZMF

rBx0iPi.gif

SBSP

OMeEUD2.gif

SEQM

bNMyJR6.gif

SKPS

p6FDCAD.gif

TFFJ

QFjwSuO.gif

TNCM

0J2lsZ1.gif

TNCS

8v6YrGq.gif

VHHH (Kai Tak) - not there anymore 😉

JdJzpKT.gif

VILH

Tp6vMcO.gif

VNLK

U1BMgrw.gif

VQPR

81PBlzh.gif

• Like 7
  • Upvote 8

Marc Weber

Thanks for doing this, I have the FS Global HD mesh from about 2014 and I was wondering about installing it.  I am actually pleasantly surprised as to how detailed the default mesh is relative to the FG Global product.  Might just stay with default.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Excellent post, thank you for taking the time to post this, as far as 5m mesh is concerned looks like the default is a winner. 

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

Rather puzzled by all those thinking that the default mesh is a winner. Perhaps you don't realize that these screenshots show a comparison between default vs. a low 5m resolution mesh, when a vastly superior 1m mesh resolution has been available for a few years now with the more recent mesh products from PILOT'S.

For that very reason FS Global 2010 is deprecated and not recommended for P3Dv4 and P3Dv5, nonetheless this comparison clearly shows regions with intricate mesh will greatly benefit from a higher resolution mesh!

In case you weren't aware, FS Global Ultimate – NG 2020 with full support for Prepar3d v5 has just been released by PILOT'S with attractive upgrade discounts for owners of previous PILOT'S mesh versions.

Edited by jzimmermann

7 minutes ago, jzimmermann said:

In case you weren't aware, FS Global Ultimate – NG 2020 with full support for Prepar3d v5 has just been released by PILOT'S with attractive upgrade discounts for owners of previous PILOT'S mesh versions.

Shame, would definitely have bought it at that upgrade price, but purchased my Next Generation mesh from FlightSimStore that went belly up. So that was almost $90 down the drain. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

5 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Shame, would definitely have bought it at that upgrade price, but purchased my Next Generation mesh from FlightSimStore that went belly up. So that was almost $90 down the drain. 

Even more of a shame then actually that you didn't take advantage of PILOT'S offer to all FlightSimStore Next Generation mesh customers to migrate their FSS purchase to simMarket.

Just now, jzimmermann said:

Even more of a shame then actually that you didn't take advantage of PILOT'S offer to all FlightSimStore Next Generation mesh customers to migrate their FSS purchase to simMarket.

Yeah, unfortunately those mails went into my spamfilter and by the time I was told it was a thing, the codes had expired. Though I do think it's silly to put a time limit on it in the first place. Oh well, live and learn. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Yeah, unfortunately those mails went into my spamfilter and by the time I was told it was a thing, the codes had expired. Though I do think it's silly to put a time limit on it in the first place. Oh well, live and learn. 

Well it's not like the offer was only valid for a week or so, I think it was almost 3 months.

I believe PILOT'S is also offering FlightSimStore customers who did not migrate their original FlightSimStore purchase to simMarket a special deal on their new FS Global Ultimate – NG 2020 mesh, perhaps you're not aware of this?

I can't seem to get the discount to work.  My product is registered on the FS Global website but when I click on purchase and get redirected to FlightSimStore the price is still the full price.  I am still not sure if I will upgrade or just install my current mesh into v5.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

26 minutes ago, jzimmermann said:

I believe PILOT'S is also offering FlightSimStore customers who did not migrate their original FlightSimStore purchase to simMarket a special deal on their new FS Global Ultimate – NG 2020 mesh, perhaps you're not aware of this?

I certainly wasn't. Anywhere I can find some information on this, so I know what steps to take to get the discount?

20 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I can't seem to get the discount to work.  My product is registered on the FS Global website but when I click on purchase and get redirected to FlightSimStore the price is still the full price.  I am still not sure if I will upgrade or just install my current mesh into v5.

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I certainly wasn't. Anywhere I can find some information on this, so I know what steps to take to get the discount?

There is an email address indicated on the contact page at the PILOT'S website, I suggest you contact Stefan at PILOT'S via email and ask him directly, I'm sure he'll find a solution.

I rather use the default mesh, to many times I saw weird elevated airports 

I also decided to stay with the default-mesh for now.

Not willing to pay so much money to deal with new elevation conflicts after all 🙄

The strange update/upgrade path is also not very customer friendly IMO.

Marc Weber

I have to say I received excellent service from Stefan.  Following this thread I decided to see what type of upgrade discount I might get on my DVD version purchased at least three years ago.  In less than 10 minutes I received a very nice reply with a 40 Euro discount.  Quite fair in my mind.

Joe

Joe Lorenc

9 hours ago, jzimmermann said:

Rather puzzled by all those thinking that the default mesh is a winner. Perhaps you don't realize that these screenshots show a comparison between default vs. a low 5m resolution mesh, when a vastly superior 1m mesh resolution has been available for a few years now with the more recent mesh products from PILOT'S.

For that very reason FS Global 2010 is deprecated and not recommended for P3Dv4 and P3Dv5, nonetheless this comparison clearly shows regions with intricate mesh will greatly benefit from a higher resolution mesh!

If you do the upgrade to the 2020 version do you have to download the volumes of data again?

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler