Sign in to follow this  
diegus011

Orbx Boulder City Airport Not Found

Hi!

I just did my first flight using Orbx’s new Boulder City airport and was unable to find it in the 530. I tried under 61B (old name which Orbx kept for technical reasons), and the current airport code KBVU. It just thinks neither waypoint exists.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? 

Thanks!

Try KBLD or BLD which is the International Air Transport Association (IATA) designation for Boulder City.

Todd

Okay.  I have had this happen before.  Here is the method to use.  First, in the simulator, use World, Go To Airport.  Look up the airport by Airport Name.  Ignore the airport code the sim reports.  Have the sim take you to and position you at that airport.  Then when sitting at the airport use the GNS (or GTN for that matter) and look at the NRST page (nearest airports).  You will see the airport as the Garmin sees it.  In this case it is KBVU.  Confirmed.

image.png.02179dc58502510508c32c98a39f98b2.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

Okay.  I have had this happen before.  Here is the method to use.  First, in the simulator, use World, Go To Airport.  Look up the airport by Airport Name.  Ignore the airport code the sim reports.  Have the sim take you to and position you at that airport.  Then when sitting at the airport use the GNS (or GTN for that matter) and look at the NRST page (nearest airports).  You will see the airport as the Garmin sees it.  In this case it is KBVU.  Confirmed.

image.png.02179dc58502510508c32c98a39f98b2.png

Thanks for that suggestion! Just went through that and the airport is not showing on mine. A while back I got a database update file for the 530 which brought it up to a 2019 air data update, and I am thinking that’s why it’s not in my database. 

58 minutes ago, diegus011 said:

Thanks for that suggestion! Just went through that and the airport is not showing on mine. A while back I got a database update file for the 530 which brought it up to a 2019 air data update, and I am thinking that’s why it’s not in my database. 

Post a screenshot of your NRST Airport page while positioned at Boulder City.

I also get KBVU on my GNS530.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 3

Bert

3 hours ago, diegus011 said:

That update is exactly what I have in use. And if I were a betting man I would bet that it has been that in the database since around 2012.  That based on a quick look around the web. It was a brand new airport at that time, replacing a previous airport that had ceased service.

" FAA Airport Master Record for KBVU (Form 5010 PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012"

Check your RXP GNS startup screens and verify the date of the database in use.  Just to confirm you put the update in the right location.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 4/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, fppilot said:

Check your RXP GNS startup screens and verify the date of the database in use.  Just to confirm you put the update in the right location.

So GNS Shows a 08/04/2008 obstacle database, and a 08/15/2019 navigation database. Software versions are 3.00, 2.04, and 2.04. I just found out today though that Orbx Siletz Bay (S45) is also missing! 

On 4/29/2020 at 10:41 AM, Bert Pieke said:

I also get KBVU on my GNS530.

I just looked again, from the ground in what P3DV4 calls 61B, and on my NRST page, the top result (closest) is KHND airport, 13.5 NM away! I created a user waypoint based on coordinates just to be able to navigate to it, but it sucks not to have access to the airport's only instrument approach: RNAV (GPS) RWY 27. 

Hi,

I've just quickly looked it up and I can see:

KBVU
BOULDER CITY MUN
BOULDER CITY NV
SW USA
N  35° 56.85'   ELEV
W 114° 51.67'   2201ft

This was using the following DB:

ODB 08APR2010
ADB 22OCT2009

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

21 minutes ago, diegus011 said:

I just looked again, from the ground in what P3DV4 calls 61B, and on my NRST page, the top result (closest) is KHND airport, 13.5 NM away! I created a user waypoint based on coordinates just to be able to navigate to it, but it sucks not to have access to the airport's only instrument approach: RNAV (GPS) RWY 27. 

This is strange... sent you a PM.

Bert

19 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

I've just quickly looked it up and I can see:

KBVU
BOULDER CITY MUN
BOULDER CITY NV
SW USA
N  35° 56.85'   ELEV
W 114° 51.67'   2201ft

This was using the following DB:

ODB 08APR2010
ADB 22OCT2009

Hi!

I just found out there is another airport missing (another Orbx product) Siletz Bay (S45). Any ideas on what may cause 2 airports to not be findable in the database suddenly?

7 minutes ago, diegus011 said:

Any ideas on what may cause 2 airports to not be findable in the database suddenly?

Error in the DB file itself? DB file not for the GNS? All seems to point to your DB file so far.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

This was an issue for me when i installed the Jeppesen International DB and ALL US airports did not appear on the GNS. I then installed the US Garmin database and I was able to input US airports. If you're not able to buy a new DB, try reinstalling the Garmin trainer and delete the old DB. The GNS trainer will reinstall the DB keep in mind the GNS Trainer DB is from 2009.

Edited by arwasairl