Sign in to follow this  
cooperwarner8

EA or no EA? V5

Hi guys!

Just want to see some opinions on EA inside v5. 

So I have been using v5 for weeks now and have not been using EA. Literally have been using ActiveSky and default clouds. I think they look 10000 times better than v4.5 clouds 

I tried EA for about 5 mins with Active Sky and the clouds seemed quite pixelated even with high resolution. I also noticed the clouds don’t interact with the aircraft the same with EA on (e.g. wings disappearing in dense cloud). I do think EA is going to very impressive when it’s out of beta with ASP3D

So what’s everyone’s preference? On or off? Pros and cons of EA? 

Edited by cooperwarner8

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz Turbo up to 4.2 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM 

1TB Crucial SSD & 1 500GB Crucial SSD

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, CH Products Pro Pedals

EA is bad right now, especially if you're using ActiveSky. There's a huge list of limitations with EA on that HiFi shared when they released ASP3D. And it sucks up VRAM. 

4 hours ago, cooperwarner8 said:

So what’s everyone’s preference? On or off? Pros and cons of EA? 

This is highly subjective. EA is full of new problems we never had before, while not using EA reminds us of all the problems with 2D cloud models and atmospheric lighting that have existed for years and years.  That said, I have opted to run with EA all the time either on Medium or High, depending on other VRAM demands. The swap between the two is quick and easy, so I almost always have it on high for cruise, but lower it to medium before approach to help mitigate the arrival VRAM spike.

Here's the reason I use EA despite all its problems; sunrise over Miami with Envtex + Envshade vs with just EA in v5, plus a real sunrise photo over the bay on approach to SFO for comparison:

8JNMl0k.jpg

7TMa8HQ.jpg

N2qMptr.png

Edited by cwburnett
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Yes.
Although in Alpha phase, EA brings a lot of realism and shaders are really superb.
I for one keep it enabled all the time.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Same here. No v5 without EA.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Hans

Yes. I am done with 2D sprites for ever, There’s a couple of issues with EA - particularly jagged edges when low clouds meet terrain - but I always, always fly with it. It’s a massive improvement over what we had before in terms of ambience.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

57 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Same here. No v5 without EA.

The moment the minisun has a normal size and we can have more than 2 cloudlayers + sharper clouds I will fly with EA only ..

Therefore I have adjusted some files to create a EA look ....😊

Early%20Dusk%204.jpg

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Despite the issues, I can’t imagine flying without EA anymore. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Therefore I have adjusted some files to create a EA look ...

I tried your solution with Envtex. I probably didn't get it right. Thus, I went back to plain vanilla EA. The sun is horrible, but at least you don't look at it all the time. 

Hans

For VFR flights I fly v4.5. For IFR flights in GA aircraft, v5 with EA is absolutely extraordinary. Yes, it uses effectively double the VRAM, but to me it doesn't matter, putting along in hard IMC for 45 minutes and flying an approach to minimums. 

Edited by mtr75