Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Prepar3d v5 to the Max - These Sliders go Up to 11!

11 hours ago, SolRayz said:

I finally pulled the trigger on a 3090 the other day. Can't take my 2080 anymore, which is sad, because it performs just fine other than the vram limitations. 

I agree, my main reason for upgrading was video ram also. The 2080 was a nice card. If anyone is interested read my forum topic about going from my 2080 to 3090 and I have comparison results included. I expect my 3090 to be my longest kept video card in a long time, plenty of vram and it maxes out every game I own. And for the first time in my life that includes Prepar3d (5.1).

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Except you chose one of the most fps friendly (and one of the best addon airliners for P3D in general) airlienr addon available for the sim, if you exclude Majestic Q400 🙂
Take FSLabs or NGXu for a spin, and you should count frames with fingers. 😛

Edited by Pe11e

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

19 minutes ago, Pe11e said:

Except you chose one of the most fps friendly (and one of the best addon airliners for P3D in general) airlienr addon available for the sim, if you exclude Majestic Q400 🙂
Take FSLabs or NGXu for a spin, and you should count frames with fingers. 😛

I don't know about that. I get between 25-30 frames sitting in the NGX at Flytampa KLAS with my 2080, so I'm expecting a solid 30 or more with the 3080. Maybe when you start maxing out settings, that's another story. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

23 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

I don't know about that. I get between 25-30 frames sitting in the NGX at Flytampa KLAS with my 2080, so I'm expecting a solid 30 or more with the 3080. Maybe when you start maxing out settings, that's another story. 

This thread is all about maxing out settings, so yes, probably another story. 🙂

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I DON'T GET IT!!!  When I first read this thread about maxing out settings in P3dv5, I thought, "how crazy is this guy?"  I cannot believe these results because I have been so diligent and careful with my settings. I tweak this setting and that setting and lower this setting and that setting, and every day I think about what I can do to make things smoother and crash proof in this sim. AND this guy maxes out everything and flies successfully?

I have a 2 year old Jetline system that was loaded for 2 years ago, and I really enjoy it for just about everything.  V5 did cause some problems initially because of DX12 I presume, so I've had to play with the settings much more than any previous versions.  I have an Nvidia 1080ti which has 11gb.  From time to time, my sim stutters, pauses, crashes occasionally, and sometimes near the end of a flight, the scenery might "blur up".  All of these things happen...but not on every flight.  Why?  I don't know. Anyway, I live with it, and like many others, I look forward to the next P3d hotfix or version change.  I'm satisfied and realize that from everything I read on these forums, I'm not alone.  I still enjoy flying V5 every single day, and some days are much better than others.  I delete shaders from time to time, change Nvidia drivers and even delete the CFG when I get to a certain point.

Max out the sliders?  Really?

Well, I did that today.  I maxed out every one except resolution which I kept at 2048.  Even though I have a 32" LG 4K monitor, 2048 seems to be more fluid for me in this sim. I still kept my 30 fps in Nvidia Control Panel but set my frames to Unlimited in the sim.  Everything is turned on...FXAA, VSync, Triple Buffering, 8 MSAA, etc.  All sliders are to the right, all traffic is to the right, water, special effects, EVERYTHING!

My GB reading got as high as 5.7/10.1 (it usually stays in the 4's), but guess what? NO CRASHES, NO BLURRIES, NO PAUSES, and NO STUTTERS.  I couldn't friggin' believe it!  Why is this happening?  It doesn't make sense in the sim world.  It's crazy, and I would have never done it unless I read this thread.  What a rush!  The sim looked beautiful and the scenery was amazing.  All was right with the world.  I saved my settings under the title "Max Out" and I can't wait to keep trying this insane approach.  I sincerely thank you for this idea, and I really hope that this wonderful experience continues.  If it does...what does that say about VRAM crashes?  

Thanks, OZWhitey!

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Upvote 1

Screenshot-2021-01-29-151715.png

That's what I'm talking about!

• Like 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2 hours ago, spilok said:

If it does...what does that say about VRAM crashes?  

Thanks, OZWhitey!

Stan

It means a lot of the crashes are, for example, Trueglass/ReaLight related.

I know with my 1080ti that was definitely true, but now seems to be working great.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

31 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Screenshot-2021-01-29-151715.png

That's what I'm talking about!

Show-off !!

I may have to get one of those 3090's but I'm trying to hold off until next year.

How are the gpu temps with that 3090 and "P3Dv5 to the Max"?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

12 minutes ago, Mace said:

It means a lot of the crashes are, for example, Trueglass/ReaLight related.

I know with my 1080ti that was definitely true, but now seems to be working great.

I don't have Trueglass/RealLight activated in my setup.  Still I had crashes occasionally before the "MaxOut" attempt.

Stan

11 minutes ago, Mace said:

Show-off !!

I may have to get one of those 3090's but I'm trying to hold off until next year.

How are the gpu temps with that 3090 and "P3Dv5 to the Max"?

Max-cropped.png

EA at ultra with all sliders to the max at 4096 texture resolution and 100% AIG traffic and ASPD3 weather. Temps seem nominal. 

Only modification in p3d.cfg is MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000  

I would normally run only 2048 texture and no dynamic reflections. Also would scale back autogen settings for study level sims to keep the fps up.  

Pretty happy with the performance at this point, and no vram hung crashes. 

• Like 1

As OzWhitey said "This has been a moment that I've waited for for years. A sim where you can literally turn up every setting to the max in the default program, and it still runs pretty well. Even challenging Active Sky weather and a complex airliner fail to defeat it." 

That has been my experience exactly. on a new Intel 8core 16 thread chip and the NVIDIA RTX 2070 (8GB) rig with SSDs and only 16GB of RAM - Smooth as silk no matter what. For a decade plus of FSX it is the moment I hope for as well. No more endless tweaks and chasing down mysterious problems - gosh what are all going to do now with a sim that works? No matter where I take it too it looks great, I have tried  a jet running at simulated M2.0 at sea level,  a biplane at 80 knots at 10 ft, any altitude or combination inbetween, same smooth as,the dynamic waves are great and even thought lots of folk complain about True Sky when I look out the window and then at the sim for comparison it is pretty word not allowed good with real time weather as well. The graphics and shading are excellent and it gave some very old birds a facelift and look I never expected to see. 

There are still some bugs in the submenus (flight planner) area they need to iron out and the Sim Director as well but overall I now just use not worry about what the hell has happened now!

Now all we need is for some of the developers to drag themselves into 2020 and DX12 and 64 bit and we might be really going places!

9 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Max-cropped.png

EA at ultra with all sliders to the max at 4096 texture resolution and 100% AIG traffic and ASPD3 weather. Temps seem nominal. 

Only modification in p3d.cfg is MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000  

I would normally run only 2048 texture and no dynamic reflections. Also would scale back autogen settings for study level sims to keep the fps up.  

Pretty happy with the performance at this point, and no vram hung crashes. 

So I think you did not regret to "pull the trigger" on that card right? 😉

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! These cards are really great. With some more performance optimizations from LM this can get even better indeed.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Marcus

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Re. DXGI Hung error, with a 2080ti the only I get it is if I pause the sim for say half an hour while I have a meal.  Behaves perfectly up to pause, come back and there's the error so it's restart P3d time 😞

18 hours ago, mpo910 said:

So I think you did not regret to "pull the trigger" on that card right? 😉

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! These cards are really great. With some more performance optimizations from LM this can get even better indeed.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Marcus

Yeah, so far so good. P3D has never been this good. It's just sad that it takes a kidney. 

• Like 1