Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Prepar3d v5 to the Max - These Sliders go Up to 11!

37 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

But try this with add-ons and watch that vram skyrocket.

Hi @SolRayz 

As I said, I’ve yet to be convinced that running out of VRAM is behind this irksome error. More likely something else is responsible. The fact that some drivers seem more vulnerable than others suggests, to me at least, that their operation under DirectX 12 is the key. Someone, prove me wrong!

Mike

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 3

In P3D v5, without addons, flying in a very dense scenery area, I could max-out all settings without hitting VRAM limit. However, when trying certain settings beyond those set by the Display Settings pages, I could set all things to higher values with no problem, but I would always get device hung with setting "OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE" to higher values such as 8192. Maybe setting this to 1024 or 512 might help with addon scenery.

However, some systems might show problems without P3D. For example, check the Administrative Events for problems such as "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." which could indicate other causes of the problem such as Internet Browsers operating.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

However, some systems might show problems without P3D. For example, check the Administrative Events for problems such as "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." which could indicate other causes of the problem such as Internet Browsers operating.

This is a very good point Steve! Because Nvidia has currently issues with their drivers since RTX series cards came out (+6 months now).

We, VR users, do see very strange frametime spikes and drops when using P3D and having a browser (chromium) open. If this browser has some Ads running as well......my Frametimes will fluctuate as I did never see this before.

This indicates that there are issues between nvidia drivers, intel cpu and windows op-systems. 

Others may not use VR, but the driver, gpu (nvidia) and windows op-sys, which is used, is often the same.

I hope nvidia will sort this out.

If I use the current HF driver 461.33 from nvidia, I get almost immediately DXGI Hung errors. Reverting back to 460.79, and no ctd anymore. 

Good observation!

Marcus

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

16 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi @SolRayz 

As I said, I’ve yet to be convinced that running out of VRAM is behind this irksome error. More likely something else is responsible. The fact that some drivers seem more vulnerable than others suggests, to me at least, that their operation under DirectX 12 is the key. Someone, prove me wrong!

Mike

For my 1080ti system, the cause was Trueglass.dll + vsync on + rain.    If those three criteria were met, it was an instant crash.  It wasn't vram as far as I could tell.  

It's possible that the new version of Trueglass.dll (you know, the new version that is supposed to solve the crash problem), actually does solve it, but I haven't tested.  I don't even know how to acquire that version of TrueGlass.dll or Reallight for that matter.

A change for my 1080ti with v5 (vs. v4) -- Vsync OFF is smoother on my 1080ti @ 4K res, so I haven't really had any need to run vsync on anymore.  Under P3Dv4.x, it was required that I run with Vsync ON if I wanted any kind of smoothness. 

As was mentioned by Spencer on the previous page -- I can now run 60hz refresh and the sim is STILL smooth -- and this is the biggest change I have noticed with v5 as it relates to performance with my 1080ti card.  That's huge.  In v4 if my frame rate dropped below my refresh I was in stutter territory.

@SolRayz vram hasn't been an issue for my 11GB card unless I run something like 4096 textures + LatinVFR KMIA + Leonardo Maddog + a lot of sliders right.  That is a hell-scenario and not my typical P3D settings scenario.  Usually if I'm flying the Maddog or Milviz King Air into a high-vram airport, I'll be running 2048 textures, and it's not been a problem.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

11 hours ago, Mace said:

For my 1080ti system, the cause was Trueglass.dll + vsync on + rain.    If those three criteria were met, it was an instant crash.  It wasn't vram as far as I could tell.  

It's possible that the new version of Trueglass.dll (you know, the new version that is supposed to solve the crash problem), actually does solve it, but I haven't tested.  I don't even know how to acquire that version of TrueGlass.dll or Reallight for that matter.

A change for my 1080ti with v5 (vs. v4) -- Vsync OFF is smoother on my 1080ti @ 4K res, so I haven't really had any need to run vsync on anymore.  Under P3Dv4.x, it was required that I run with Vsync ON if I wanted any kind of smoothness. 

As was mentioned by Spencer on the previous page -- I can now run 60hz refresh and the sim is STILL smooth -- and this is the biggest change I have noticed with v5 as it relates to performance with my 1080ti card.  That's huge.  In v4 if my frame rate dropped below my refresh I was in stutter territory.

@SolRayz vram hasn't been an issue for my 11GB card unless I run something like 4096 textures + LatinVFR KMIA + Leonardo Maddog + a lot of sliders right.  That is a hell-scenario and not my typical P3D settings scenario.  Usually if I'm flying the Maddog or Milviz King Air into a high-vram airport, I'll be running 2048 textures, and it's not been a problem.

I set my monitor to 144hz (the default setting) and this caused flickering. Not sure if this is related to p3d or something else. I'll try reducing it down to see if this helps.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

I have a fresh install of P3D V5 w/ORBX true earth entire west coast and the QW787 all paired with my new 3090 and to be honest, its AMAZING!

Its really smooth and I have had zero crashes for any reason. I will install DD Seattle, KPDX and KSFO and give it another rip to see how it does and report back.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 1/24/2021 at 8:09 PM, mpo910 said:

Here I post some issues which can lead to DXGI Hung error

With the nvidia driver 460.79 I did not have a single CTD. I tested this with stock and 4 addon planes and all my addons are active. Have tested this round about 100+ hours!

All the drivers after 460.79 did bring me more stutters or the last one, HF 461.33, which should solve stuttering in VR, does bring me the device hung error.

So this DXGI error is not motivating at all if you are not knowing what exactly does cause it.

I have found the following issues which CAN cause them:

1) VRAM spikes (playing with settings in P3D) after starting a flight in P3D

2) Out of VRAM after starting a flight in P3D (never bin an issue for me with 24GB)

3) older trueglass.dll - disable any trueglass.dll/reallight.dll within P3D-Root "gauges" directory by renaming them "trueglass.dll.off"/reallight.dll.off or delete them. Use the newest installers which you can get via ORBX central (partner tab) or ask directly at TFDI design

4) older reallight.dll - See previous bulletpoint

5) Bathemetry on - turn it off. LM is aware of this one

6) Vegetation shadows casting on - very rare. LM is aware of this one too. Turn it off (unchecked=off)

7) Nvidia Driver - 460.79 is very stable

Having so much causes can drive someone really insane.

I do hope you get sort it out. LM is still working on VRAM management, as they stated in one of their feedbacks here at the support forum.

Above works for me very well but must not work for you. But at least this are some well known "work arounds" and hopefully they will work for you too!

Hang on guys! I am sure things will get better! P3D is indeed a very stable platform. But I am aware off having CTD can indeed make someone very unhappy.

Marcus

Marcus just one question: Do you use Nvidia Game Ready Driver or Nvidia Studio Driver? Because i only use Nvidia Studio Driver right now and i always activate Debug Mode in NCP...no more DXGI Crashes ever since.

Greets,
Markus

• Like 1

Win11Pro - i713700KF - RTX3080Ti

24 minutes ago, MäxliBäxli said:

Marcus just one question: Do you use Nvidia Game Ready Driver or Nvidia Studio Driver? Because i only use Nvidia Studio Driver right now and i always activate Debug Mode in NCP...no more DXGI Crashes ever since.

Greets,
Markus

Hi Markus. I use GRD driver. The latest 461.40 is working fine on my end now. 

Thanks for your hints. I will check this with the disabled debug mode in NCp. 

Edit: debug is disabled. 

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

7 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Hi Markus. I use GRD driver. The latest 461.40 is working fine on my end now. 

Thanks for your hints. I will check this with the disabled debug mode in NCp. 

Edit: debug is disabled. 

Just for information: You have to ACTIVATE Debug Mode (so it must be checked) in NCP after every Win Start again!

Greets,

Markus

Win11Pro - i713700KF - RTX3080Ti

1 minute ago, MäxliBäxli said:

Just for information: You have to ACTIVATE Debug Mode (so it must be checked) in NCP after every Win Start again!

Greets,

Markus

Ok. Well....thanks again then I will try that IF I get a DXGI Hung again....which will hopefully not come back again 🙂

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

The latest 461.40 is working fine on my end now. 

Hi Marcus,

I am wondering whether we are approaching the point where we can say with some confidence that specific drivers are at the root of this problem? Following your error-free experience with 460.79 I now have them installed. So far so good but, as yet, have not had time for extended testing.

It may just be that Nvidia, in common with other Developers, are still finessing the marriage of their complex GPU drivers with the nooks and crannies of the DirectX 12 coding environment.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 3

I agree Mike.

With recent drivers, I've been getting device hung error in P3D v4, in the Scenario builder screen, right at the moment the model view window is populated. I can prove it by replacing the aircraft sim model in the default flight file with no name and the view window shows without the 3D model and no crash. These drivers work across all versions of DX.

• Like 4

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

32 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Marcus,

I am wondering whether we are approaching the point where we can say with some confidence that specific drivers are at the root of this problem? Following your error-free experience with 460.79 I now have them installed. So far so good but, as yet, have not had time for extended testing.

It may just be that Nvidia, in common with other Developers, are still finessing the marriage of their complex GPU drivers with the nooks and crannies of the DirectX 12 coding environment.

Regards,

Mike

Yes indeed Mike. I am also very confident with saying that there is indeed a relation to some nvidia drivers. The other findings I summed up are also reasons and must be checked when having issues. This is what it is making such a hassle to find out what the reason(s) are for getting DXGI Hung CTD. I do understand lots of users are getting frustrated because they do not (want) to spent the amount of time we are spending here to find out all of this. 

460.79 was without one CTD for me (all other reasons I took care off prior testing of course).

Now I am on the latest 461.40. This is indeed also stable for me (at least with 1x 6 hr QW787 flight and 1x 4 hr QW787 flight). Not one CTD so far.

I have

• Windows Build 20H2 fully updated OSBuild 19042.746
  • only my CPU is OC. GPU is stock!
  • installed the nvidia GRD 461.40 just by running the installer without the installation of Nvidia Experience and other driver parts - custom install of only the driver
  • DebugMode in NCP "disabled", so not checked
  • still used Trueglass and Reallight (latest updates)
  • all my addons active
  • cleared my P3D shaders before starting P3D
  • not build a new P3D.CFG file
  • not used any shader tweaks and addons (only the one LM gave us as a work around for Objects shining through clouds/fog within the ShaderHLSL FuncLibrary.fxh.)

Seems fine here. Stable, also within VR they solved my Frametimespikes (Magenta Spikes which causes stuttering in VR).

What should I say........what do I do if I had nothing to fiddle with in P3D? 😉

Answer:

I did some interesting and smooth flights......waiting for P3D to update.....I would love to see Truesky evolving and bringing us super nice atmospherics....

Marcus

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

22 hours ago, TurboKen said:

I have a fresh install of P3D V5 w/ORBX true earth entire west coast and the QW787 all paired with my new 3090 and to be honest, its AMAZING!

Its really smooth and I have had zero crashes for any reason. I will install DD Seattle, KPDX and KSFO and give it another rip to see how it does and report back.

OK so I tried a flight from KPDX to KSFO in the QW787 and everything on MAX settings. This would have been a instant crash with my 2080. Now with the 3090 I am able to perform the flight without issue. I was getting 30FPS in Portland 50 FPS in the air and 25FPS in San Francisco with everything maxed out. A few minor tweaks and its much higher.

Visually it looks amazing. Never has P3D looked so good. Still no crashes. However there was one test which always produced a crash and that was landing into KMIA (FlyTampa) so that will be the next test.

Hopefully LM is hard at work on improving the lighting and weather for the new version. 

Edited by TurboKen

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

10 hours ago, TurboKen said:

OK so I tried a flight from KPDX to KSFO in the QW787 and everything on MAX settings. This would have been a instant crash with my 2080. Now with the 3090 I am able to perform the flight without issue. I was getting 30FPS in Portland 50 FPS in the air and 25FPS in San Francisco with everything maxed out. A few minor tweaks and its much higher.

Visually it looks amazing. Never has P3D looked so good. Still no crashes. However there was one test which always produced a crash and that was landing into KMIA (FlyTampa) so that will be the next test.

Hopefully LM is hard at work on improving the lighting and weather for the new version. 

I finally pulled the trigger on a 3090 the other day. Can't take my 2080 anymore, which is sad, because it performs just fine other than the vram limitations. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor