Sign in to follow this  
avhpilot

planes TRAINS and automobiles

funny movie with the late John Candy. Check it out !

But seriously. We need TRAINS in this sim as well. X-plane can do it so why not

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

More seriously: We DONT NEED Trains or cars or whatever. We need well simulated aircraft and weather in a nice looking world and a realistic navigation environment. Thats a flight simulator.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Well, the environment of a flight simulator consists of trains and cars. So in my opionion they need to simulate that as well.

Edited by CallsignDE
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 11

There are trains.  They don't move.  Some are even 3D. 🙂 

Hook

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

It could not be done in FSX/P3D because of the way the simulator does the railway lines, which is not sufficient to allow it to replicate a train journey. dunno whether the new sim will do things any differently and make it possible, but it seems doubtful.

Basically the tracks are not one long line, but lots of small lines which are not linked up. This is sometimes the case with the road network too, which is why if you've ever followed a car in FSX/P3D, you will have observed that it can completely disappear at a road junction and other stuff can appear at that same junction. Most of the time that doesn't really matter, so long as there are a ton of cars going along the roads, it's not very noticeable that they occasionally vanish, but for a single train on a line, it would be very apparent if it appeared to go 300 yards, then disappear, then appear again coming the other way 200 yards up the line, then disappear again. Not forgetting the fact that it would not easily be able to replicate the flow in two directions properly either, or the signalling system which controls the sections of track in much the same way that cars don't stop at junctions in the sim or brake for obstacles etc.

If I want to mess around with choo choo trains, I have a massive Norfolk Southern OO scale model railway layout in my loft and a few train simulators on my PC, so I'm not @rsed about seeing them in a flight simulator.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

21 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

nice looking world and a realistic navigation environment. Thats a flight sim

I thing you are contradicting yourself then. Train are part of realistic navigation environment. Just like boats. 

Edited by aleex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

It could not be done in FSX/P3D because of the way the simulator does the railway lines, which is not sufficient to allow it to replicate a train journey. dunno whether the new sim will do things any differently and make it possible, but it seems doubtful.

Basically the tracks are not one long line, but lots of small lines which are not linked up. This is sometimes the case with the road network too, which is why if you've ever followed a car in FSX/P3D, you will have observed that it can completely disappear at a road junction and other stuff can appear at that same junction. Most of the time that doesn't really matter, so long as there are a ton of cars going along the roads, it's not very noticeable that they occasionally vanish, but for a single train on a line, it would be very apparent if it appeared to go 300 yards, then disappear, then appear again coming the other way 200 yards up the line, then disappear again. Not forgetting the fact that it would not easily be able to replicate the flow in two directions properly either, or the signalling system which controls the sections of track in much the same way that cars don't stop at junctions in the sim or brake for obstacles etc.

If I want to mess around with choo choo trains, I have a massive Norfolk Southern OO scale model railway layout in my loft and a few train simulators on my PC, so I'm not @rsed about seeing them in a flight simulator.

I could live with those flaws of disappearing trains, just as i can tolerate the odd behavior of the cars and boats or the ground crew. It's just nice to see a train moving for a brief moment. Doesn't need to run via time schedule of course. But in the future generic world trains could perhaps get a regional flavor as well. Trains in USA differ from European trains and so on.

Next thing on my agenda is people. tiny little creatures in the sim. we need about 7 billion of them crawling around. 

And I need to see a full working planetarium as well. I expect to see the planets behave like they should all taking data from StarWalk app or something like that

They still have 13 days so that should be a piece of cake 🙂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

1 minute ago, avhpilot said:

They still have 13 days so that should be a piece of cake 🙂

Yup. Loads of time. Not a piece of cake, but on the subject of food, if the US military can manage to cook and serve enough Turkey to offer it to 1.3 million people serving around the globe in less than a day, including in war zones, then two weeks is practically a lifetime with which to get all those features into the final product. 🤣

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

22 minutes ago, aleex said:

I thing you are contradicting yourself then. Train are part of realistic navigation environment. Just like boats. 

As i expected: Ridiculous arguments for such a nonsense in a flight simulator.

Differentiate between eyecandy and more important stuff a flight simulator needs.

Or do you navigate by night over the atlantic by following the sailing boats or a train?

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

1 hour ago, Paladin2005 said:

As i expected: Ridiculous arguments for such a nonsense in a flight simulator.

Differentiate between eyecandy and more important stuff a flight simulator needs.

Or do you navigate by night over the atlantic by following the sailing boats or a train?

Despite my best efforts to follow trains across the ocean, I've never been able to pull that off, however, I'm willing to give it a go. 😈

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

It would be nice to see trains in MSFS, but I would rather they use the new technology to make a new train simulator.

• Like 2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

1 minute ago, Pugilist2 said:

It would be nice to see trains in MSFS, but I would rather they use the new technology to make a new train simulator.

I'd put money on that happening at some point.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'd put money on that happening at some point.

Yes, I agree!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

1 hour ago, aleex said:

Train are part of realistic navigation environment. Just like boats.

Train tracks are, actual trains not so much.

How do you navigate by boats?

These are part of the environment, not the navigation.  And you will already see trains.  I've seen several.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you show me one professional full motion flight simulator for commercial pilot training that shows moving trains and car traffic, then you changed my mind, that trains and cars are a NEED for a flight simulator. 🙄

I bet this will not happen. 🤪

But i love suprises!  😃

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast