Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Any Disadvantages buying MSFS from Steam?

This shouldn't be any debate. Third party developers will have to be compatible with the in game launcher marketplace if they want to reach their audience. That has nothing to do if you get the launcher from Steam or the MS Store.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Rewriting this, just to make sure it's updated and correct. 

The Microsoft Store version is UWP and Sandboxed. However, that only goes for the sim's core files, which includes the .exe 

That means nothing is able to use the .exe directly and you will be required to change ownership of the folder, to even view its contents. However, all the content is contained within another folder; C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_<String>\LocalCache. That's where you'll find all the packages, config files and the likes. Also shows a sensible approach to individual packages of every component, with two different folders for official and unofficial packages. Great approach. This folder is open and does not require permission changes. 

In terms of hooking into the .exe as previously mentioned, with applications like RTSS, I discovered that can easily be done by holding down 'ctrl' when you press add. Has to be done while it's running but this allows RTSS to add UWP applications as specific profiles. 

So the overall difference between the two will just be a more convoluted placement of the sim's files, compared to Steam, including having access to the .exe. I think the main applications a lot of simmers use would be ReShade, that will be difficult to use on the MS Store version (by difficult I mean not possible, I don't believe they support DirectX UWP yet). But, as the game is now Freestyle and Ansel compatible, Nvidia users could potentially bring ReShade features through that instead. 

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. The MS Store version is a bit more convoluted with a fairly cumbersome placement of core files but that can easily be avoided with a shortcut. 

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Will the in-game marketplace require a Microsoft account?  How will payments be handled?

I'm wondering if the workings of the in-game marketplace are a reason to go MS Store vs Steam - i.e. if you need to have a MS Store account for the in-game marketplace, does it make sense to go with the MS Store from the start...

2 minutes ago, prowler5150 said:

Will the in-game marketplace require a Microsoft account?  How will payments be handled?

I'm wondering if the workings of the in-game marketplace are a reason to go MS Store vs Steam - i.e. if you need to have a MS Store account for the in-game marketplace, does it make sense to go with the MS Store from the start...

It's an internal store in either case and you need a Microsoft account to log into Xbox Live once you fired up. So there's zero difference in that regard. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I have lots of games in Steam and I usually have problems with Microsoft Stores.

My PC is a Gaming PC where I always try to optimise it, disabling services and changing the Registry. Yes, risky, but I know what I'm doing. For example, Microsoft Stores doesn't work if you deactivate Windows Firewall, you need to tweak it.

Also, I took long time to fix an issue right now here, I couldn't login to XBOX Live, I had to update the Xbox identity Provider.

Given the bad history Microsoft Store has with me (and in general), I think I will buy through Steam. I signed for Game Pass so 3.99/month is not bad. I will wait what people will say about Steam x Microsoft Store.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 3:38 AM, G-RFRY said:

PS if i want to link my MSFS to steam i can even though i purchased from my MS account, i have done this with some disc games in the past F1 2015 was on disc but i linked it to my steam catalogue.

This is only available if the developer allows it, and is not guaranteed to work for all games. Typically is was used for cases like the one you described where you are going from a disc based version to Steam, not going from one online storefront to another. And note that this is also not the same as Steam allowing shortcuts to games purchased outside Steam either.

5 hours ago, Matheus Vallim said:

I have lots of games in Steam and I usually have problems with Microsoft Stores.

My PC is a Gaming PC where I always try to optimise it, disabling services and changing the Registry. Yes, risky, but I know what I'm doing. For example, Microsoft Stores doesn't work if you deactivate Windows Firewall, you need to tweak it.

Also, I took long time to fix an issue right now here, I couldn't login to XBOX Live, I had to update the Xbox identity Provider.

Given the bad history Microsoft Store has with me (and in general), I think I will buy through Steam. I signed for Game Pass so 3.99/month is not bad. I will wait what people will say about Steam x Microsoft Store.

I have bought it on Steam but also have Xbox games pass so its already downloaded and installed it for me on the C Drive. You probably have it too.

Its only 991mb according to Programs & Features so perhaps it will add more when I run it at midnight? 

I also notice more options in Programs & Features than I have seen before, an addons area and a button labelled Move which lets me move it from the C Drive. Once the Steam version is available at 4am I will uninstall. Maybe this is part of the windows update and perhaps MS have finally made the Store less awful. 

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

10 hours ago, Sethos said:

Rewriting this, just to make sure it's updated and correct. 

The Microsoft Store version is UWP and Sandboxed. However, that only goes for the sim's core files, which includes the .exe 

That means nothing is able to use the .exe directly and you will be required to change ownership of the folder, to even view its contents. However, all the content is contained within another folder; C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_<String>\LocalCache. That's where you'll find all the packages, config files and the likes. Also shows a sensible approach to individual packages of every component, with two different folders for official and unofficial packages. Great approach. This folder is open and does not require permission changes. 

In terms of hooking into the .exe as previously mentioned, with applications like RTSS, I discovered that can easily be done by holding down 'ctrl' when you press add. Has to be done while it's running but this allows RTSS to add UWP applications as specific profiles. 

So the overall difference between the two will just be a more convoluted placement of the sim's files, compared to Steam, including having access to the .exe. I think the main applications a lot of simmers use would be ReShade, that will be difficult to use on the MS Store version (by difficult I mean not possible, I don't believe they support DirectX UWP yet). But, as the game is now Freestyle and Ansel compatible, Nvidia users could potentially bring ReShade features through that instead. 

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. The MS Store version is a bit more convoluted with a fairly cumbersome placement of core files but that can easily be avoided with a shortcut. 

Very good summary and good tip on the RTSS support for UWP but I listed a few additional differences that are pretty important 

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

6 hours ago, Sethos said:

It's an internal store in either case and you need a Microsoft account to log into Xbox Live once you fired up. So there's zero difference in that regard. 

Will the internal store accept Steam Wallet funds or Xbox Gift Cards?

6 minutes ago, prowler5150 said:

Will the internal store accept Steam Wallet funds or Xbox Gift Cards?

microsoft store does not accept steam wallet, just microsoft $$$$$$

2 minutes ago, Martin Byrde said:

microsoft store does not accept steam wallet, just microsoft $$$$$$

Is the internal "Marketplace" within the game the same as the MS Store?