Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

99% GPU Usage?!

I noticed on some videos that the GPUs are running at near full speed. I have never played a game where it ran further than 50-60% power. 99% seems like a stress test! 

I usually play at adaptive half refresh 30 FPS so I can enjoy a smooth experience and not tax the GPU hard. I know my machine could run it faster but to the expense of burning out the card?

Indeed with most of the videos that showed frame rates and GPU load info the load was a constant 98%, even with 1920x1080 displays. Be prepared for a lot of fan noise ... and high electricity bills.

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Just now, RudyB24 said:

Indeed with most of the videos that showed frame rates and GPU load info the load was a constant 98%, even with 1920x1080 displays. Be prepared for a lot of fan noise ... and high electricity bills.

yeah it seems a bit high. I remember when il-2 cliffs of dover came out. It was hitting 99% GPU. My fan was loud!! I am hoping since my rig can do ~45 FPS at 1080p , limiting the frames to just 30 FPS will cut the load down to 70-80%. 

You're not playing Call of Duty Warzone then! Plenty of games will max my GTX980 if I get the sliders enough to the right.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

You're not playing Call of Duty Warzone then! Plenty of games will max my GTX980 if I get the sliders enough to the right.

Ive done COD warzone and BF V...But i cap my FPS at vsync of 60 for those games so the power only hits about 50% or so. 

This video woulds seem to indicate aorund 70% GPU load at 1080p high settings with a mid-range GTX 1070 churning out approximately 30 fps when over dense areas.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

12 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

You wont even notice the increase in electricity bills. But just maybe more of us will be water cooling our graphics cards.

Edited by martin-w

6 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Yep, been very toasty in the UK lately. Was playing Warzone the other day and the outside temp was close to 30C. In my room, playing Warzone, it was like a sauna. 🙂 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

*Laughs in jerry-rigged 120mm Noctuas on my 1070

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

The Sea Hawks have been out for a while. There is also GPUs with a water block that is attached to a radiator that sits in a slot next to the GPU sort of like SLI, except it adds cooling to the card. I was considering one of these for my next computer upgrade, but only if they come out for the new RTX3000 or Big Navi.

51 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Oh yeah, I've got quite a lot of hot air blowing out of my rig, that's for sure. 😄

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

This video woulds seem to indicate aorund 70% GPU load at 1080p high settings with a mid-range GTX 1070 churning out approximately 30 fps when over dense areas.

I like that. Seeing that makes me feel a little better about cooking my gfx card lol. I dont have liquid cooling just the 3 fans. 

Even a 2080 Ti is absolutely pegged at 100% at 1440 on many titles with everything turned up. It’s very common. My card with a little extra overclock holds at 82 degrees Celsius. It’s nothing to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hyperfocal said:

Even a 2080 Ti is absolutely pegged at 100% at 1440 on many titles with everything turned up. It’s very common. My card with a little extra overclock holds at 82 degrees Celsius. It’s nothing to worry about.

I like the video posted in this thread. My system is quite a bit faster and he still gets the FPS that I am targeting. I tend to stay away from the highest density cities like NYC, LA, SF, etc... 

I'm wondering how my EVGA 980 Ti Classified will handle this at 1080P. 😌