Sign in to follow this  
thegeneral101

Confirmation Three Monitor Setup?

Just now, wan2fly99 said:

Stupid question.  Can somebody tell me what is Nvidia Surround and how do you switch on

Not stupid - it works if you have an NVIDIA graphics card.  It sort of "tricks" the GPU into thinking/behaving like multiple monitors are actually one giant monitor.  For example, I have (2) 24" 1080p monitors - each has a resolution of 1920x1080.  When I turn this on, my computer thinks that I have an ultrawide single monitor at 3840x1080.  Then you rescale the FS2020 in settings to this resolution and it looks pretty good.

If you want to enable this, in the icon tray (by the time on the task bar) you should have a green NVIDIA icon - go into NVIDIA Control Panel, then under 3D Settings, then Configure Surround.  Go through the settings and this will give you "one" monitor of a larger size.

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

4 minutes ago, wan2fly99 said:

Stupid question.  Can somebody tell me what is Nvidia Surround and how do you switch on

"NVIDIA Surround combines multiple displays to act as one larger display to allow a panoramic view of full-screen games or your desktop."

From the Nvidia Site:

To configure my displays for Surround

1. From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under 3D Settings, select Configure Surround to open the associated page.

Depending on the graphics cards installed, the link and page title may also include SLI, PhysX, or multi-GPU.

2. Click the Span displays with Surround check box, then click Configure to open the NVIDIA Set Up Surround window.

3. Configure your displays as needed using the NVIDIA Set Up Surround window.

Is there a way to fix the NVSURROUND  fisheye effect like in P3D with one wide stretched view icw 2 displays ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Is there a way to fix the NVSURROUND  fisheye effect like in P3D with one wide stretched view icw 2 displays ?

there is a lens correction option in the graphics settings way at the bottom but it didn't do much IMO. Worth a shot for you to check out tho

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Unfortunately the lens correction option has no effect in that regard. Surround is not really useful whatsoever for us triple screen simmers. I actually rather use just the center screen for the sim and the rest for undocked windows and other utilities than deal with the supersized windshield pillars.

This is how this should look when we get proper support for multiple perspectives. This is P3D, where it is a bit cumbersome to set up but it works well with any combination and size of screens. XPlane has a very slick menu for getting this set up quickly and easily.
I hope this is on the top of their list and perhaps part of the VR support work.

y4mlbghFtYLnaUlM5ripZ0lJMZG065wYZAiabLWG

Matthias - KCOS
         Sim: P3D 4.5, UTX V2, ORBX Base openLC NA EU, ASP3D, TOGA, RealityXP, SPAD.neXt, Carenado GA
          PC: i9-11900k, RTX 3090, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E
Home Cockpit: Honeycomb AFC, Thrustmaster T.Flight, RealSimGear GNS530, Logitech FIP FMP FRP FSP FTQ*2, 3x55" 4K TVs (View), 26" 21:9 (Gauges)

15 minutes ago, Matthias1231 said:

Unfortunately the lens correction option has no effect in that regard. Surround is not really useful whatsoever for us triple screen simmers. I actually rather use just the center screen for the sim and the rest for undocked windows and other utilities than deal with the supersized windshield pillars.

This is how this should look when we get proper support for multiple perspectives. This is P3D, where it is a bit cumbersome to set up but it works well with any combination and size of screens. XPlane has a very slick menu for getting this set up quickly and easily.
I hope this is on the top of their list and perhaps part of the VR support work.

Yeah Surround is definitely not perfect, lens correction didn't hep either. But I don't mind it for now even though it does stretch the edges. With TrackIR it makes it a bit easier to bear. 

Really hopeful we see the P3D capability or addon in the future. I'm sure someone will get that working. 

PS - had to edit my post to comment on your IBM keyboard. That is awesome! 

Edited by thegeneral101
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthias1231 said:

I actually rather use just the center screen for the sim and the rest for undocked windows and other utilities than deal with the supersized windshield pillars.

yup this is ultimately how I fly as well, I just finally had a powerful enough setup to try it out

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Do undocked windows within FS2020 (Garmin 1000 for example) move outside of the bounds of the FS2020?  For example i have (2) 24" monitors - if FS2020 is running on Screen 1, can I move the undocked instruments to Screen 2?  Or must I run surround and just "cover up" the one side?  Does it make sense what I am asking?  I loved flying last night, but don't think I realized how hard it is to view 3d panels (compared to the old 2d when I played FS last)

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

11 minutes ago, zihmer001 said:

Do undocked windows within FS2020 (Garmin 1000 for example) move outside of the bounds of the FS2020?  For example i have (2) 24" monitors - if FS2020 is running on Screen 1, can I move the undocked instruments to Screen 2?  Or must I run surround and just "cover up" the one side?  Does it make sense what I am asking?  I loved flying last night, but don't think I realized how hard it is to view 3d panels (compared to the old 2d when I played FS last)

yes, the game handles fullscreen mode extremely well on multiple monitors (even click off the window when fullscreen doesn't minimize or otherwise affect it) which is what gives me hope for eventual extra views. If you popout a window you can move it to another monitor

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

19 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

yes, the game handles fullscreen mode extremely well on multiple monitors (even click off the window when fullscreen doesn't minimize or otherwise affect it) which is what gives me hope for eventual extra views. If you popout a window you can move it to another monitor

Awesome, thank you for the heads up!  I think i'm going to give that a whirl tonight and see if that makes flying a little easier for me.

I've been flying with triple monitors, but it is definitely annoying to have the stretched Nvidia Surround. 

I'll likely be getting a 3080 or 3090, so graphics power won't be an issue...but what I am curious about is if I should go for a 4k 120hz LG tv like a 49" or 55" single monitor and use the other monitors as breakouts for instruments? 

Or do we think someone can solve for the triple-monitor issue as payware or freeware? 

I have triple 27s configured with nVidia surround but noticed all of the lighting seems really big and blurry, as well as the view out the front window being blurry.  Does anyone else notice this too?  Once I disabled surround and went back to a single monitor, the view was perfect, with lighting appearing to the be correct size and no blurriness at all.  I set my resolution properly to 5760x1080, which is 3-1920x1080 monitors.  Any thoughts?

Hi, I did not have any of this problems here. Maybe a little fisheye but nothing you can´t handle.

Lights are proper also 😉20200908_222818%20(Gro%C3%9F).jpg

Stephan from Germany

My System

On 8/18/2020 at 9:08 PM, 177B said:

Imt will be great when AiManager works for 4th monitor instrument panel, like I do in XP,.

You can try Air Manager 4 Beta. Works fine. 

And the stretching at the edges of side displays is not a fisheye, but the result of the geometry: currently MFS can only project on a flat screen, so to have undistoreted view you should set your displays in one flat row (like a super ultra wide flat display). In such setup (not satisfactory for most cockpit builders) you will be looking at the far edges of side displays at a big angle, compensating the apparent stretching of the image at the edges. 

If you set the displays at an angle, you distort the geometry of the projection, and you end with the apparent distortion. 

The more you zoom in, the less apparent the distortion at the sides will be. 

As this is the geometry of the projection, there is no way around it, until Asobo will implement Simultaneous-Multi Projection (check for nVidia video on YouTube on the subject). 

I'm using 3 displays in flat row (angled just slightly, to not make the geometry distortion at the edges so apparent) plus TrackIR to allow me to look sideways. I'm also using Air Manager 4 Beta on separate 10 inch touch display, this allows me to see all my C172 instruments. My view point is moved high and close to the windshield (magnetic compass still in the field of view) and zoomed in to make the edge distortion less apparent (there is however limitation how much you can zoom as you need to have the vertical field of view big enough, especially when turning to final). There are calculators on the web, designed for car racing simulators but also applicable to flight simming, allowing you to geometrically align the real view to the exact geometry of your displays and your real eye location. The closer you put the displays to your eye, the more of your field of vision will be covered by the image and the result will be more akin to real world, important especially when landing light plane and judging the flare height (even more important for real world pilots to not destroy the real world landing model in your brain) . Typically you will need to unzoom a bit vs. the recommendation of the calculator to have more vertical field of view (no issue with the horizontal one, with 3 displays set on a flat or just slightly angle plane). 

Edited by Steku