Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Settings than Impact Stutters/Smoothness

On 8/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, cwburnett said:

So, I'm really interested in nailing this down and have been doing some testing. I'm curious what others are experiencing, though, because I think we might be talking about a few different things. BTW, I'm looking to compare solutions and settings, not bash the sim. Each sim has required settings finesse to get a smooth experience. It took literally years to understand P3D well enough to run smooth with good visuals. I hope for a shorter learning curve here!

So, I'm experiencing periodic stutters, maybe 5 minutes of smooth and then 5 seconds of stutter, that feels like a version of what we experienced in P3D v4.5 - the so-called Orbx scenery loading pause... So for most of the time, I have smooth 30fps performance. When watching the FPS counter in developer mode, I can see that normally my FPS is solid at 30fps and limited by the GPU, which is expected on vsync at 30 hz. However, when I encounter the period of stutter, it shows in the low/mid 20fps and indicates limited by the main thread.

I *think* that this is actually impacted by the Terrain LOD setting, but could be the objects LOD also...I was surprised that Terrain LOD was CPU intensive, but it appears to be... below is what the stutter looks like from a performance perspective....curious if this is what anyone else is seeing... don't mind the screenshot quality, it is an HDR issue I guess...

XSTyQIq.jpg

Hey pal,

Did you find a solution for this? I have an almost identical system as you, same exact CPU (also overclocked @ 4.9Ghz) and an RTX 2060 (instead of a 2070) and I also suffer from the exact same issue you have/had (we are not that many with these symptoms). The performance is fine and what I would expect like 90% of the time, but the other 10% is heavy stuttering which drops me to single digits and all 6 cores shoot up to 100% utilization (it normally stays at around 50% average). I have screenshots that show an identical behavior:

fs2020cpu.png

Could it be something specific to the 9600k? I have tried everything short of going back to stock clock speed (which I'm seriously considering) but the fact that every single other game I have doesn't exhibit this issue makes me think it's simply FS2020.

Wondering if you found something? I haven't. Even potato low settings don't help. It happens less, but still happens.

5 hours ago, egon_cr said:

Hey pal,

Did you find a solution for this? I have an almost identical system as you, same exact CPU (also overclocked @ 4.9Ghz) and an RTX 2060 (instead of a 2070) and I also suffer from the exact same issue you have/had (we are not that many with these symptoms). The performance is fine and what I would expect like 90% of the time, but the other 10% is heavy stuttering which drops me to single digits and all 6 cores shoot up to 100% utilization (it normally stays at around 50% average). I have screenshots that show an identical behavior:

fs2020cpu.png

Could it be something specific to the 9600k? I have tried everything short of going back to stock clock speed (which I'm seriously considering) but the fact that every single other game I have doesn't exhibit this issue makes me think it's simply FS2020.

Wondering if you found something? I haven't. Even potato low settings don't help. It happens less, but still happens.

The periodic CPU spikes are eliminated when using the Process Lasso trick. Search it on the forums.

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

I believe FS 2020 needs at least 8 threads to work properly and the lack of Hyperthreading on your CPU causes it to get to 100%.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

8 hours ago, Colonel X said:

The periodic CPU spikes are eliminated when using the Process Lasso trick. Search it on the forums.

Did you find that this needs to be combined with the low priority and background tasks tweaks, or that this replaces those? 

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

3 hours ago, cwburnett said:

Did you find that this needs to be combined with the low priority and background tasks tweaks, or that this replaces those? 

I did this INSTEAD of the background task tweak. I have to agree with Colonel X on this one. It really did work for me. I can't speak for everyone but Process Lasso works.

I first tried the background services tweak (after trying a billion other tweaks) and it actually worked pretty good. I would be flying along at over 55fps then after a few minutes, (CPU spike GPU drop) it would drop to below 10fps for like 5-15 seconds and then back. The background services tweak helped to reduce the length of the drop and the fps would drop to around 30 fps insteed, but it was still pretty stuttery. 

Then today I tried the "Process Lasso trick" and it all but eliminated the period CPU spike/GPU drop "stutterfest" that would normally occur every few minutes as new scenery loaded during a flight.

Don't get me wrong, I still can't fly jets or have traffic and still maintain happy smoothness. BUT I can now comfortably fly anything up to the TBM anywhere in the world and smile! 

I really hope ASOBO can sort this out, because it seems as though it would be a fairly easy fix. There is definitely something wrong with process priorities and data being loaded into the sim.

4790k / 16gb / 1080ti / lotsa ssd's / 1440p / TM Warthog & Tflight Pedals 

10 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

A tech alpha insider gathered 50 tips that that apparently helped others to reduce stuttering.

Not trying in anyway to take anything away from the Alpha testers but a lot them have no clue about flight sims. Just read this today 

To quote a Tech Alpha insider tip " Since alpha when I had set my rudder axis to be the same as the roll axis to be able to steer the plane on ground with the yoke, I have had a terrible yawing effect during hand-flying rolls and couldn’t get my head around the issue"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SirDan said:

Not trying in anyway to take anything away from the Alpha testers but a lot them have no clue about flight sims. Just read this today 

To quote a Tech Alpha insider tip " Since alpha when I had set my rudder axis to be the same as the roll axis to be able to steer the plane on ground with the yoke, I have had a terrible yawing effect during hand-flying rolls and couldn’t get my head around the issue"

In all fairness my rudder and throttle are doing some weird cross controlling... 

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:16 AM, Colonel X said:

I found that very same post shortly after posting here and installed Process Lasso, which completely got rid of the stutters. Those claims that this sim should run on 8+ core CPUs are clearly not true since it can perfectly run on a 9600k, the software is just badly optimized at this point for some processors.

PD: I didn't have to set Windows to prioritize background processes nor change the flight sim task to low priority. Process Lasso is enough. Just stick to the instructions in that post.

Thanks all for chiming in. Hopefully we won't need this after a future patch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egon_cr said:

8+ core

MSFS needs a 4 Core HT CPU. 

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20