Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Settings than Impact Stutters/Smoothness

Hello, I'm generally getting decent framerates simming in 2k, 40 or so in urban areas.  I'm simming on the high preset despite the suggestion I should use medium.  While my FPS are ok I am getting a lot of stuttering.  I understand from other thread that increasing RAM from 16 to 32 can help greatly with this, but in the meantime (and until I can get my new build to stop imploding on itself, see my thread in the CPU/MOBO forum) I'm wondering if anyone has done any experimenting and has any initial thoughts on what sliders impact smoothness (as opposed to pure FPS) more than others?  

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

RENDER is a big hitter.  Try going from 100 to 90 or 80 and see how it performs

• Upvote 2

Semper Fi 

Well I have tried all night. The stutters seem to be independent from the settings, it's just unoptimized code. It was a rushed release, so there's hope for patches. In this state, VR is completely off the table, probably complex planes too, so Asobo has to work on this.

The RAM theory remains a myth until proven - never has (more than sufficient) RAM improved smoothness in a flight sim.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Just now, joec63 said:

RENDER is a big hitter.  Try going from 100 to 90 or 80 and see how it performs

Improves FPS but doesn't do anything to stutters / pauses.

-

5 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

stutters / pauses

btw - this shows as "in progress" and being worked on in the developers roadmap graphic (among other complaints). So yea, its always possible this will just not resolve itself right now for some users.

Edited by hangar

I agree that there are now stutters in the released version. Changing your graphics settings from Ultra to High or Medium doesn't seem to make any difference at all. FPS improves of course, but the stuttering doesn't improve. What baffles me is that none of the alpha or beta releases were like this on my machine. It wasn't until the final, commercial release that the stutters were introduced. Perhaps this has something to do with their servers being overloaded. I don't know. 

• Like 5

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

5 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I agree that there are now stutters in the released version. Changing your graphics settings from Ultra to High or Medium doesn't seem to make any difference at all. FPS improves of course, but the stuttering doesn't improve. What baffles me is that none of the alpha or beta releases were like this on my machine. It wasn't until the final, commercial release that the stutters were introduced. Perhaps this has something to do with their servers being overloaded. I don't know. 

Good assessment.

-

5 minutes ago, hangar said:

again...noone seems to be testing the offline theory yet, to see if stutters go away due to poor streaming issues.

While in theory that would be path worth proceeding, who wants an offline FS? There is no point. Get X-Plane, it beats the tar out of the offline FS2020.

• Like 2

-

13 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Hello, I'm generally getting decent framerates simming in 2k, 40 or so in urban areas.  I'm simming on the high preset despite the suggestion I should use medium.  While my FPS are ok I am getting a lot of stuttering.  I understand from other thread that increasing RAM from 16 to 32 can help greatly with this, but in the meantime (and until I can get my new build to stop imploding on itself, see my thread in the CPU/MOBO forum) I'm wondering if anyone has done any experimenting and has any initial thoughts on what sliders impact smoothness (as opposed to pure FPS) more than others?  

There have been stutter issues with both P3D and XP...and tons of threads etc. And not just flight sims....train simulator, race sims and other PC games.

I was always able to solve this issue by locking fps to my tv refresh rate @30. As long as I could achieve 30fps...I got smooth performance.

You say that you get 40 fps....then are you able to lock your TV Monitor refresh to 30hz (through graphic option or Nvidia setting through the desktop right click option)? Then set vsync / 30fps limit cap in MSFS settings.

This has always worked for me, for any game...to get a smooth experience. I set higher graphic settings to get me at least 30 fps, but the same can be done for 60. I am fine with 30 fps in every sim / game on my pc. I haven't tried MSFS yet, but I imagine that the same holds for this sim...worth a try anyway.

• Like 1

If you're using anything external that uses SimConnect, avoid it for now. Anything that uses SimConnect will currently cause large stutters.

AI aircraft refreshes and ATC window refreshes seem to sometimes cause stutters also. Sometimes the ATC will start doing a lot of refreshes (you'll see the window blinking a bit) and that will cause some stutters as the window display updates. Closing the ATC window in those cases reduces or eliminates those stutters.

Very large flightplans cause framerate decreases right now.

Aside from those items, I did a flight back to back between X-Plane, P3D, and MSFS. I get much better framerates in MSFS compared to X-Plane and P3D, and similar stutters when things load from each platform. MSFS doesn't seem like it suffers from excessive stutters.

Setup: Threadripper 16 Core, 2080TI, 32GB RAM

Edited by MattNischan
Add hardware specs

13 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

While in theory that would be path worth proceeding, who wants an offline FS?

Because we're talking about testing all the variables to find the truth about what could be causing the stutters. We're not worried about liking or disliking the result. It's a test.

Edited by hangar
  • Upvote 1

Stutters differ. I turn off hyperthreading on my 3600X because it helps to avoid microstutters in simulations a lot. But I do not know if you have microstutters (only 1 or 2 frames lost) or if you are talking about bigger hickups (multiple frames lost during scenery loading, etc ...).

Since I turned off hyperthreading I have no microstutters in sims like Iracing, IL2 or DCS at all. With hyperthreading on I notice single lost frames now and then.

Edited by Gomoto

Same, my stutters are setting independent. Even if I put everything low it still stutters. Can 't enjoy it.

Dunno why...must be unoptimised for certain hardware. Running at 1080Ti and i7 8700.

The issue is the utilization of the GPU. Right now a lot of us including me are getting 50% in the cockpit when it should be 99%. It needs to be 99% for the sim to be fluid and stutter free.