Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Beech Baron Altitude Select

I think I’m going to feel really dumb when someone answers this question, but where is the altitude select knob on the Baron (G1000)?  I can’t find it or figure out another way to set the altitude.

Thanks

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I haven't flown the Baron yet, but I'm fairly sure it uses the same layout as the Bonanza. If so, there's an ALT knob in the lower left corner of the right G1000 display's bezel (the MFD). 

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Thanks that’s where i expected to find it but it’s missing.  I’ve submitted a bug report.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I thought I was losing my mind last night! I don't feel like it had any AP functions - the KingAir glass avionics looked surprisingly much more different than the Baron.  I'm not thinking it would be identical, but not as different.  Not a real pilot, so I have no actual idea what i am looking for.  My 2 cents.

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

There is no altitude set slider either by bug or design.  The work around is to use the VS mode to set your climb or descent speed, and then once you get to desired altitude, click on ALT hold.  

So to gain the ALT knob is it possible with a panel,cfg edit to replace the MFD in the Baron with the MFD in the Bonanza?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just now, fppilot said:

So to gain the ALT knob is it possible with a panel,cfg edit to replace the MFD in the Baron with the MFD in the Bonanza?

I worked on that a litlle with no luck. Of course, I had very little idea what I was doing using the old FSX panel/file cfg. Not quite figured out the "Gauge" system.

Edited by Adrian123

5 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I worked on that a litlle with no luck. Of course, I had very little idea what I was doing using the old FSX panel/file cfg. Not quite figured out the "Gauge" system.

I just looked and the Vcockpit entries are the same, character for character.  I do not know .xml other that to apply edit instructions from others, so no clue if the answer lies within the panel.xml file. Somewhere lies the difference between the G36 and the G58.  One has the ALT tuning knob, the other does not, and the panel.cfg calls the same file.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Is it perhaps only a difference in a texture file?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Is it perhaps only a difference in a texture file?

No, No I dont think so. Textures or 'Pictures" are added to a gauge. It would be in the gauge coding. XML I assume. Before someone who chimes on her, I admit I'm a 30 yr sim amature. Father Bill knows his gauge stuff! The old FS panel studio days. Miss that! 🙂

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

No, No I dont think so. Textures or 'Pictures" are added to a gauge. It would be in the gauge coding. XML I assume. Before someone who chimes on her, I admit I'm a 30 yr sim amature. Father Bill knows his gauge stuff! The old FS panel studio days. Miss that! 🙂

Fr. Bill is indeed amazing....  A fellow Hoosier.  Only wonder about his roundball skills....

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Just now, fppilot said:

Fr. Bill is indeed amazing....  A fellow Hoosier.  Only wonder about his roundball skills....

Ernie Alston is another great gauge programmer. Quality Wings and Integrated Simavionics. Ernie is was always very willing to help a fellow simmer.

Edited by Adrian123

On 8/31/2020 at 12:23 AM, wthomas33065 said:

There is no altitude set slider either by bug or design.  The work around is to use the VS mode to set your climb or descent speed, and then once you get to desired altitude, click on ALT hold.  

Remember, too, that if you have a few spare switches or buttons on your joystick/controller/gamepad, etc. you can assign the "Increase/Decrease Autopilot Reference Altitude" to those.

The altitude capture feature still works whether in VS or FLC but, obviously, you need to be able to set your altitude first.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 42" LG C3 OLED 4K TV/Monitor

Just now, erickrueger said:

Remember, too, that if you have a few spare switches or buttons on your joystick/controller/gamepad, etc. you can assign the "Increase/Decrease Autopilot Reference Altitude" to those.

The altitude capture feature still works whether in VS or FLC but, obviously, you need to be able to set your altitude first.

I have a DIY Leo Bodnar autopilot that I built. Really not an issue. Just twist the ALT encoder assigned to Alt rotary.

Edited by Adrian123