Sign in to follow this  
jzimmermann

Stunning Alps And Sloped Runway - 1st Successful MSFS Flight

My first attempt to fly from EGLC to LOWI yesterday was unfortunately cut shot on final approach by a bug with the MSFS Pause Button aka Game Freeze function, as I pressed that the aircraft literally fell out of the sky, just spiraled to the ground.

I've always had an affinity towards the larger business jets, so I decided to give that route another try today with the Cessna Citation Longitude. The aircraft is far from hardcore, some would argue it isn't even up to the very basic "Carenado" standards, yet it is certainly stunning visually both externally and in the VC, plus it is actually quite functional and easy to get "flight ready" from cold & dark.

GSuwE6S.jpg

Cold & dark at EGLC, the weather was certainly much better yesterday here in London!

RgVYPrv.jpg

Unfortunately again no push-back service, I hope this bug gets fixed.

yZCQNRq.jpg

There was really absolutely not enough space to turn, I decided my best option was to use reverse thrust to exit the parking position. As they say in German, Not macht erfinderisch!

GVdjBDY.png

Imagine someone had shown you this image 30 years ago, when the first flight simulators were available, and told you that sometime in the future we will be able to enjoy such imagery on a PC!

asFxhNW.jpg

A RWY 09 departure today, straight out east over the Thames!

cy7yOOm.png

The clouds certainly look interesting, the lighting is very impressive.

AyAqk7a.jpg

Climbing out towards the UK coast, the flight plan has the route set for FL 410.

DVj2eyI.png

The weather over the Channel was pretty murky, there was nothing eventful enroute, just a permanent cloud cover below most of the time.

XS5sOu2.jpg

Arriving over the Alps, the weather seemed a lot better than yesterday.

iwLLiUj.jpg

Heading towards the RTT VOR at FL 130. The very buggy ATC kept asking me to descend to 9500 ft, that would have been guaranteed CFIT.

O3v0U7K.png

Very close to Innsbruck now, the weather again being grey and murky in patches.

pZhSTcO.jpg

There is a lot of room to improve the overall mesh, nevertheless the Alps are certainly stunning!

PeloJ4u.jpg

Close to the RTT VOR turning point now.

wHGu085.jpg

Turning south and then west to intercept the Innsbruck localizer.

dVeLrpt.jpg

This is going to be a visual approach, autopilot off, flaps and gear down.

51VgO6w.jpg

The hand flown approach was much smoother than I expected, the aircraft handled very well and was not too twitchy.

Fvv8mty.jpg

The wind kept pushing me to the left, trying to correct and stay on the glideslope.

5w3plPM.jpg

Welcome to Innsbruck, touchdown right on the centre line, the reverse thrusters doing their job to slow the Cessna down.

XbpZUhu.jpg

The sloped runway is subtle and so much more realistic than the standard fully level runways we've had for so many years in FSX and P3D.

5z2bHx6.jpg

Quite mind-blowing that the grass in a flight simulator can look that good!

• Like 10

Great flying, Jan (is it Jan?) and superb pictures. I think that the Longitude, despite the occasional issues with the AP, will become one of my favourites. When you fly her by hand, she is not difficult to handle 

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Gorgeous shots!

6 hours ago, jzimmermann said:

Imagine someone had shown you this image 30 years ago, when the first flight simulators were available, and told you that sometime in the future we will be able to enjoy such imagery on a PC!

That pretty much sums it up for me, and puts much of the negativity being thrown around right now into perspective.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I see you took my jet all the way from John Wayne hahah!  They really need to release some new liveries!  Something in red....

Great shots!

p.s.  does F2 still work for reversers?  I don't have a way to map that to my joystick

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I see you took my jet all the way from John Wayne hahah!  They really need to release some new liveries!  Something in red....

Great shots!

p.s.  does F2 still work for reversers?  I don't have a way to map that to my joystick

Hi Ryan,

Thanks and yeah, you were way too busy tucking into a burger, you didn't even notice! 😁

F2 is still mapped to "decrease throttle", I haven't tried the reversers through the keyboard, as I just assigned a switch on the joystick to "toggle reverser thrust", this one:

avnihEI.png

When that switch is at the forward position the reversers are on, if I then push the throttle full forward I have full reverse thrust.

Cheers,

Jerome

3 minutes ago, jzimmermann said:

When that switch is at the forward position the reversers are on, if I then push the throttle full forward I have full reverse thrust.

Cheers,

Jerome

Ooooh....ok I'll try something like that thanks!  

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

27 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Great shots!

I got this jet set up the best I could figure out last night...just one plane that I could get up and fly like in P3D or XPlane in a reasonable way.  I found that some of your comments about the FMS were true...needs some serious focus.  Also, the G3000 is low res.  Lots and lots of potential.  Gorgeous to fly, though, right? 

Yeah, reverse thrust is a little weird in MSFS.  I don´t think the F2 method works anymore which is too bad.  If you map the toggle reverse thrust then you push the throttles forward like an airliner instead of backward.  They should create some more control commands.

• Like 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM