Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

Everything overscaled compared to the satellite imagery?

I've just been "eyeballing" the scale of objects (building, cars, aircraft, and ofc trees) in FS2020 compared to the underlying satellite imagery.

All objects seem to be about 33% too large compared to the satellite imagery. 🤦‍♂️

For example, park the Cub on a bowling green (lawn bowls), switch to the drone camera and go up a 100 feet... the Cub looks way too big for the bowling green.

Also, compare the size of car objects to the image of cars on the satellite imagery... too big.

Buildings (houses) also look too big compared to the satellite imagery.

Ofc trees too, but I don't want to discuss those right now.

When I have some time I'll compare the actual measurements of the Cub to the size of the bowling green on the satellite imagery, but I can see the scale is off, just by eye balling it. 👀 

Surely there are others that have noticed this? 🤔

edit: Ofc I might just be crazy 😱 so I'll do some actual measurements. 📏

edit2: I'm not talking about photogrammetry areas... The photogrammetric buildings/trees/vehicle "blobs" are perfectly sized compared the underlying satellite imagery, ofc.

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 1

Matthew S

Here we go!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ShawnG said:

Here we go!

Where we going?

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 2

Matthew S

What prompted you to land a cub on a lawn bowling green?

5 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Ofc trees too, but I don't want to discuss those right now.

Well I suppose there’s a first time for everything 😂

• Like 1

Yes, I noticed a car that seemed a tad large next to a house, but I was too in awe of everything else, such as the fact I managed to find my street and the park next to it based on visual clues, starting in an approximate location some miles away.

• Like 1

• Like 7

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Philosophical question: if everything is overscaled, then How did you know?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Funniest sight gag ever.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

But the trees are undeniably better in the release version...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yeah no the buildings seem to be in proper dimensions compared to p3d and FSX which had comically large buildings. 

• Like 2

Just now, 2reds2whites said:

What prompted you to land a cub on a lawn bowling green?

I didn't, I landed on the adjacent golf course (Crescent Head NSW Australia), and thought, shoot, this golf course is a lot smaller than I remember, and so taxied down onto the bowling green.  Ofc, it might just be me..🤪

https://webbox.imgix.net/images/wptzjxnkpjhlrkvl/0d84f5ad-84f2-4806-8b62-e444d44d7a71.jpg?auto=enhance,compress&fit=crop

Matthew S

This is a technique used in all sims. For objects, it's easy math. If everything is 33% bigger, you need 33% less objects in total. That is why in X-Plane, trees are 60 meters high, and all tree addons have smaller, and more trees.

• Like 3

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

4 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Try reading my post...  Objects over-scaled compared to the underlying satellite imagery "textures" .... You got it now?

Matthew S

2 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Well as Sheldon would describe it when everything was scaled larger.... "I noticed my pants size was 2 million" (or something like that...it was hilarious, as most of his quips were) 🙂

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 minute ago, Colonel X said:

This is a technique used in all sims. For objects, it's easy math. If everything is 33% bigger, you need 33% less objects in total. That is why in X-Plane, trees are 60 meters high, and all tree addons have smaller, and more trees.

Really? OMG I hope Asobo didn't do this.... what a "jump the 🦈" effort if you're right.

Matthew S