Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Upgraded to 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM, nothing changed

1 hour ago, Slides said:

Some great tips for you to try 

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/performance-tips/10998

This stated that rolling cache is buggy and can cause frame drops/spikes. Is this really true?  I thought it was good to have rolling cache on...if you fly the same area over and over, isnt rolling cache storing that data? 

these threads are helpful for us planning a new (but budget) computer...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 minutes ago, atlflyer said:

This stated that rolling cache is buggy and can cause frame drops/spikes. Is this really true?  I thought it was good to have rolling cache on...if you fly the same area over and over, isnt rolling cache storing that data? 

If you only ever fly over one area (and the rolling cache is set high enough) it will keep the data for that area. As soon as you fly somewhere else, the rolling cache will be overridden with new data. So it will help if you're circling an area for a while, but if you come back later it will be streaming from scratch.

Potentially -- I have no idea -- the rolling cache is emptied as soon as you exit the flight back to menu, or the sim back to desktop, which makes sense for a temporary cache. I would presume that's how rolling cache is handled by the software, which is why it would be pointless setting it too high (mine is 32GB).

The manual cache (underneath rolling cache in the menu) is intended for permanently storing data for particular areas you visit often. This is something I haven't set up yet.

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

If you only ever fly over one area (and the rolling cache is set high enough) it will keep the data for that area. As soon as you fly somewhere else, the rolling cache will be overridden with new data. So it will help if you're circling an area for a while, but if you come back later it will be streaming from scratch.

Potentially -- I have no idea -- the rolling cache is emptied as soon as you exit the flight back to menu, or the sim back to desktop, which makes sense for a temporary cache. I would presume that's how rolling cache is handled by the software, which is why it would be pointless setting it too high (mine is 32GB).

The manual cache (underneath rolling cache in the menu) is intended for permanently storing data for particular areas you visit often. This is something I haven't set up yet.

thats the way I thought it worked as well. Thats why its strange that rolling cache could cause issues with frames...I figured it would make them better?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atlflyer said:

thats the way I thought it worked as well. Thats why its strange that rolling cache could cause issues with frames...I figured it would make them better?

The cache will reduce pop-in of scenery objects/textures, but frame rates are determined by so many other factors and largely down to clock speeds and VRAM, as far as my understanding stretches. I'm not entirely sure why the cache process would adversely impact frame rates, I just know it won't make them better. My guess is the actual process of accessing the cache is drawing resources away from something else. It might be a bug or an optimisation issue, which could be fixed in a patch.

Computer specs are I my sig line below and here are my observations with those specs.  

first of all the performance monitor (Windows + g) shows all of my in game stats. Secondly, with the exception of motor and boat traffic, everything else graphically is set to the right.

in heavy scenes like Chicago, Los Angeles, and Especially New York, my FPS ranges from 39 to 45.  You can pretty much count on it.

cpu is utilized about 35%

memory at most uses 24 gb

the gpus, which performance monitor reports as one big gpu, can go as high as 185% !  That is two 2080ti cards, so I think some of you are asking quite a bit from your 1070 or 1080 cards.

Hopefully Asobo can give some additional performance, and Nvidia can offer more tuning, but nothing fixes capacity, except more capacity.

I remember what a stuttering mess FSX was in the beginning, and it really never got great for me until the steam version came out, and I installed a Titan X to help fix it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Thank you all for your contributions!

Going full offline has increased the average framerate overall but did not solve the stuttering. 

Disabling the rolling cache has stopped the HDD activity and the stutters. Now I have 10 fps stutters only in the first 2-3 seconds after spawning and then the framerate is stable.

I recommend you to disable it unless you have a limited data plan.

I will continue experimenting with the other options at the link (https://forums.mudspike.com/t/performance-tips/10998) provided by Slides.

BTW the resolution I am using is 2K and I have HAGS enabled.

Thanks again!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

19 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

It seems that the sim runs perfectly fine on 16GB ram.  This benchmark report goes into more detail.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/microsoft-flight-simulator-(2020)-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,5.html

Yes, only rarely it exceeds 16 GB of RAM. But considering that DDR4 will be around for a while, I will reuse the 32 GB also for the new PC so they are an investment.

BTW disabling the rolling cache has also shortened the loading times, what a buggy feature!

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

15 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Yes, only rarely it exceeds 16 GB of RAM. But considering that DDR4 will be around for a while, I will reuse the 32 GB also for the new PC so they are an investment.

BTW disabling the rolling cache has also shortened the loading times, what a buggy feature!

Interesting!

Thomas Derbyshire

1 hour ago, MrFuzzy said:

Thank you all for your contributions!

Going full offline has increased the average framerate overall but did not solve the stuttering. 

Disabling the rolling cache has stopped the HDD activity and the stutters. Now I have 10 fps stutters only in the first 2-3 seconds after spawning and then the framerate is stable.

I recommend you to disable it unless you have a limited data plan.

I will continue experimenting with the other options at the link (https://forums.mudspike.com/t/performance-tips/10998) provided by Slides.

BTW the resolution I am using is 2K and I have HAGS enabled.

Thanks again!

I can confirm disabling the rolling cache has decreased my stutters significantly. I get better load times and the framerate is much more stable. I get occasional dips here and there but sim is completely flyable. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, atlflyer said:

I can confirm disabling the rolling cache has decreased my stutters significantly. I get better load times and the framerate is much more stable. I get occasional dips here and there but sim is completely flyable. 

I might give that a try later.

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

I might give that a try later.

definitely helped my sim...now the frames dont jump all over the place. Smoothed out the sim significantly. I think my CPU might be a bottleneck because around KLGA I get 40- 45 FPS. Around KDXR (Danbury CT) I get 40-45 FPS. EGLC 40-45 FPS. Strange that NYC would have the same FPS in same aircraft on same settings as Danbury CT!! 

Oh well I guess I have to factor in consistency! 

Do we have an explanation (from asobo) as to how the rolling cache even works? 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith