Sign in to follow this  
LarsA

Display too bright

I really like the new sim, but I have a strange problem: The display is much too bright. Not the cockpits, but the whole scenery and especially the clouds. The clouds don't show any details in the distance, it's only a "very white", bright mass and the scenery is "milky, washed out" and bright greenish during flight. I tried everything (Windows settings, monitor settings), but no success. 

My specs are: 8700k (4.8 Ghz), 32 GB, RTX2800 (3840x2160, no HDR), LG 47". 

Any hint or advise? 

Thanks a lot! 

Edited by LarsA
Additional information

Is light bloom on in the settings? HDR?

It's mimicking your eye getting used to light difference.

Edited by Slides
  • Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Yes it is the eye adaption technique that they use that causes this. I personally think it a little overdone.

I would like to see an adjustment to allow for personal preference.

• Like 2

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Light bloom is off. Will try to switch on HDR in Win10, but last time when I tried it, I got a BSOD. The screenshots and videos, made by other users look much better without this white light. Strange....! 

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm struggling now for days checking the calibration of the monitor again and again. I've set the monitor to a very soft gamma to avoid this annoying effect a bit. Additionally everything looks way to 'bluish'. I know that we have to keep in mind the atmosphere, the higher you go the more blue it becomes but I think this is also overdone. Taking off with a C172 and after passing 200 ft ASL everything starts to become blue. No.

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

No, greyed out. It seems switching light bloom off helps a lot.

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

Tip here. If you find the contrast in the cockpit between light and shadows too severe, the best thing (even in the daytime) is to press the L key twice. The lights inside are quite well done, but not adjustable. If you get large black shadows this can cut through the darkness. 

On the OP's subject, I agree the brightness and blindingly bright exteriors are overdone. I have to substantially turn down the standard windows brightness, contrast and gamma values to well below normal to avoid the extreme over brightness.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Its the contrast between outside the cockpit and inside that bothers me. The panel is so dark its almost unreadable and the only way to make it visible is to pan or drop down in the cockpit, and then the outside is almost white. When I glance down at the "panel" in my car it isn't black, my eyes instantly adjust, I don't have to lower my head first. Lots of the graphics are set to be like you are looking at everything through a camera lens instead of your eyes. I don't look at the world through a camera lens unless I am taking a photo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desbean said:

Its the contrast between outside the cockpit and inside that bothers me. The panel is so dark its almost unreadable and the only way to make it visible is to pan or drop down in the cockpit, and then the outside is almost white. When I glance down at the "panel" in my car it isn't black, my eyes instantly adjust, I don't have to lower my head first. Lots of the graphics are set to be like you are looking at everything through a camera lens instead of your eyes. I don't look at the world through a camera lens unless I am taking a photo.

As I said, if you press the default L key twice, the cockpits of most of the aircraft light up and the dark shadows.are then not so bad.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

2 hours ago, robert young said:

As I said, if you press the default L key twice, the cockpits of most of the aircraft light up and the dark shadows.are then not so bad.

Thanks Robert, I did try that but it was in the 172 Analog, so maybe that's one of them that it doesn't work in. It increased the brightness in a gauge only.

I have the same exact problem and my monitor is not an HDR monitor. Not sure what to do, I tried everything from turning off Bloom and changing the Nvidia driver brightness settings nothing worked 😞 It's just too bright for me

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 11:42 AM, EDDB2020 said:

No, greyed out. It seems switching light bloom off helps a lot.

There is a way to fix that, 

workaround:

1. Turn on HDR in Windows display settings (I know, we want to get rid of it)
  2. Launch FS (while squinting)
  3. Go to settings. Now HRD options are available (on / off)
  4. Turn off HDR, save settings, and exit FS
  5. Turn HDR Windows settings back off and enjoy!
Edited by SirDan

I dont own the sim yet but I have used ReShade in other games (and in Dovetails FSW) for precisely the same reasons. Does ReShade work with the MSFS?

I know not everyone is a fan of it but if you got a powerful system you can play around with it and get some great visuals which you can save as presets.

2 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Does ReShade work with the MSFS?

No injection allowed!!!!!