Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sesquashtoo

The stutters, no matter how powerful your rig is..

The reason that so many people are frustrated with lousy FPS,  bad stutter..with state of the Art innards...is this:

(and even on my modest system) is that there definitely is a bug in the sim engine that has the MAIN THREAD pegged at overload.  If you have unlimited FPS (not locked down by an external app such as the nVidia Control App...,  you will indeed have stutter and if you run the internal FPS meter...it will show a constant RED  LIMITED BY THE MAIN THREAD.  This is an engine bug, that is not using (when there is no limiter) all your cores, equally. 

Now, I suggest you try this...go into your nVidia control app, and set the FPS lock to 30 FPS...for a reason...never mind that you might not want to run with that...this is an experiment---->and then set vsync to 1/2 Adaptive, press APPLY and then go fly.   Make sure you have the in house FPS meter running, and you will now see that any LIMITATION could be showing as the Main THREAD, the CPU, or ...the GPU.  But...I'll bet dollars to donuts, that your stutter...no matter how minimal or beefy your system is...will be gone. You will have smooth animation, even at a locked 30 FPS ceiling.  Try that...and see if YOUR FPS meter now shows any of three possible bottlenecks and not the RED MAIN THREAD..pegged solid.  Try that...and make your decisions on that basis.  I was getting near 50 FPS not locked down...and I had terrible stop and start stutter...really bad sim performance...load times...switching between screens..etc. As soon as I dropped out of MSFS,  re-set my two locks...FPS at 31, and vSync mode to 1/2 adaptive...I once more went to dead smooth animation...no stutter...fast switching between different aspects of the sim....and my FPS meter showed me that there was at any time, a bottleneck from any of the Main Thread, CPU, or GPU...but did not affect smooth animation performance. That was ONLY when I had no external limiter holding the FPS to a ceiling of 31.   FYI!

And again the same story. And no, I am NOT going to limit my 144Hz monitor down to prehistoric Hz numbers. So far I am pretty happy to have almost no stutters compared to what I had at the beginning with FSX and P3D. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4 minutes ago, AnkH said:

And again the same story. And no, I am NOT going to limit my 144Hz monitor down to prehistoric Hz numbers. So far I am pretty happy to have almost no stutters compared to what I had at the beginning with FSX and P3D. 

I suggested only for the 'test' to lock it down to 30 FPS.  Of course anybody is open to running it however they wish...but I'll bet your FPS readout has your MAIN THREAD locked red and solid!

I could not care less about what this window or overlay reads out as long as the sim runs smooth, no?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Are you talking about the NVIDIA Profile inspector to limit the frames? 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

8 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

Are you talking about the NVIDIA Profile inspector to limit the frames? 

Yes...for the 'test', put that to 31...and then go down and put the vSync to 1/2 adaptive...that will work in conjunction with your locked 30 FPS.   Dead smooth animation...and no more MAIN THREAD pegged at the top...causing all sorts of visual problems. If your monitor runs at 60Hz...this will be the trick until ASOBO looks into the MAIN THREAD having a heart attack.. FPS unlocked...

Mitch, take a chill pill, you're tilting at windmills again.

I see CPU loads spread pretty evenly across all 10 cores.  No significant stuttering with sim's limiter maxxed at 60, VSync on and hardware refresh rate set to 30 fps.

No NVI, no tweaks, running Ultra at 4K with 452.06 MSFS-optimized drivers on Win 10 v2004.

If there's a MAIN THREAD issue (capitalized, underlined, AND italicized for extra-hypermanic emphasis), it's not apparent.  All 10 cores are plugging along at an average 25% core load.  GPU at 65-85% and around 9GB VRAM in use.

MSFS released with a lot of issues, but in my experience performance is not one of them.  MSFS has been stable and stutter free right out of the box.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

And If I got 165hz screen whats the solution? I pretty much got a smooth experience except that odd stutter every once in a while when flying some distance and also sometimes when panning around. I think its some data load bug.

Roi Ben

47 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

The reason that so many people are frustrated with lousy FPS,  bad stutter..with state of the Art innards...is this:

Without any rolling cache it's most of the time really smooth 🙂

André

I had to cap my frames to 30 in game to get the visuals I want without having my GPU go over 70c. Is it best to set 60 and vsnyc in game but limit my FPS in inspector to say 35 or 40? Right now in game vsnyc is off. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

2 minutes ago, awf said:

Without any rolling cache it's most of the time really smooth 🙂

I have not tried this yet. I was under the impression that rolling cache keeps the sim from having to download the same area over again that I just visited, keeping it from getting those long pauses seen when entering a new area. 

20 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Mitch, take a chill pill, you're tilting at windmills again.

I see CPU loads spread pretty evenly across all 10 cores.  No significant stuttering with sim's limiter maxxed at 60, VSync on and hardware refresh rate set to 30 fps.

No NVI, no tweaks, running Ultra at 4K with 452.06 MSFS-optimized drivers on Win 10 v2004.

If there's a MAIN THREAD issue (capitalized, underlined, AND italicized for extra-hypermanic emphasis), it's not apparent.  All 10 cores are plugging along at an average 25% core load.  GPU at 65-85% and around 9GB VRAM in use.

MSFS released with a lot of issues, but in my experience performance is not one of them.  MSFS has been stable and stutter free right out of the box.

Well, W6, I report cause and effect.  On my system, my four core system,  the Main Thread was pegged and the sim was running very badly, not capped.  I capped, and once more went to absolute smoothness of animation.  If others are having problems...it doesn't hurt to try this offered solution at least...

I get good performance but have a 4 core i5-7600k. I mostly see the limited by GPU, sometimes both now with the  limiter. Looks like 4 core are showing age with this sim for sure.  

At least for now I find myself not being bothered by the stutters in FS2020. I see them if I want to but I dont notice them when I fly because I'm so immersed. It was a big issue for me in previous sims but now for some reason I just feel like it flows. Maybe I'm still star-struck by the scenery and the stutters will come back to take over my head and my hobby. And I'll be back in the eternal struggle for smoothness that has no end.

But for now I'm good 😎

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.