Sign in to follow this  
Mr_LoL

16GB Vs 32GB Ram Video Comparison

I went from one stick (single channel) 16GB to dual channel 32GB and noticed a better smoothness / less or no stutters in comparable scenarios. Don't know if it was the extra bandwidth or was it more memory that made the difference. I did this with no real expectations but the end result feels like something has been "debottlenecked". I am using Kingston value RAM DR2666, nothing fancy. The above video shows lower CPU usage with the higher RAM config.

My config: i5 9600 K/F at 4.4 GHZ, nVidia 1660 Ti, Standard HD resolution.

56 minutes ago, Ultra Hog said:

I went from one stick (single channel) 16GB to dual channel 32GB and noticed a better smoothness / less or no stutters in comparable scenarios.

Single-channel RAM can create a big bottleneck, so that's definitely where most of the performance increase comes from.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

I don`t think the vid shows MSFS in 4K ULTRA he would have gone through the 16gb barrier.

Even with the C152 at 1440p / High if you spawn in JFK you have 17 GB in use.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I think what we are saying then is if you only have 16GB of RAM like me, MSFS can run, but don't expect to push it too hard with the settings (Ultra/4k etc).  

A few of the direct CTD's I have had, happened when my hard disk that is assigned with the windows swap file was thrashing about.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I would think VRAM is going to be a lot more important moving forward than system RAM especially when VR is added or using 4K textures with add-on airports and AC!

Chris Camp

I want to upgrade the CPU / Mainboard and RAM

Right now, I have 32 GB DDR4. Do you think it's worth to get 64 DDR5 instead of 32 ?? 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

9 minutes ago, Sphynnx said:

Right now, I have 32 GB DDR4. Do you think it's worth to get 64 DDR5 instead of 32 ?? 

As far as I know, DDR5 is very expensive still. And the first modules to hit the market are either the slow / high latency type, or you can fork out a lot more money for faster variants.

For a next generation system, I think I would go for 32 GB faster DDR5 rather than 64 GB slow DDR5.

But that's up to your budget. You could always add more later.

Edit: And keep in mind that it could be more difficult to get 64 GB to run at XMP speeds than 32 GB, depending on the quality and specs of the chips.

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

27 minutes ago, Sphynnx said:

The 12th gen Intel runs ONLY with DDR5..so..no choice there.

Asus Z590 P, Intel i7 10700k, 64gb RAM(3200), nVidia RTX 4070 FE,  Windows 10 (21H1), 2tb M.2 nvme ssd,

Samsung QN43QN90BA 43" 4K@120hz, Bose Companion 5 speakers, Velocity One Flight Yoke/Quad.

28 minutes ago, michaelst7 said:

The 12th gen Intel runs ONLY with DDR5..so..no choice there.

Are you sure ????

https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-alder-lake-12th-gen-core-cpu-launch

Motherboards will feature either DDR4 or DDR5 memory slots, not both "

Edited by Sphynnx

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Correct, 12th gen supports both DDR4 and 5, you just need the motherboard to support it, as the memory slots aren't identical.

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

To Clarify.  The new Alder Lake CPU's can run with EITHER DDR4 or DDR5.  That is, the motherboard will support ONLY ONE type, not both.

So, if you get a motherboard that supports DDR4, you CANNOT upgrade to DDR5 without buying a new motherboard.

Asus Z590 P, Intel i7 10700k, 64gb RAM(3200), nVidia RTX 4070 FE,  Windows 10 (21H1), 2tb M.2 nvme ssd,

Samsung QN43QN90BA 43" 4K@120hz, Bose Companion 5 speakers, Velocity One Flight Yoke/Quad.