Sign in to follow this  
donet

FPS - framerate conflicted. 30, 60, 90 or what?

Removed

Edited by jaydor

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

2 minutes ago, jaydor said:

Seems no matter how someone tries to explain it in simple terms, you still wish to make it an argument, to which I will no further get involved.

No reason to argue. It's very simple. Read this article and you will see that I'm correct. https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/

This quote from the text should give you a clue: "Common display refresh rates include 120hz, 60hz and 30hz, and there are all divisible by 30 so you won’t get screen tearing"

Edited by TheRandomGuy

37 minutes ago, brassalley said:

Hi Guys

This is my view of this new flight simulator. Its terrible!

Yes the graphic candy of the landscape is good, but the graphic engine is terrible. It looks like it was done in the eighties and has an awful display. However, this is my problem. I am getting wild FPS fluctuations ie 3 - 44fps and it happens no matter what settings I use. It appears to alter every few seconds and it makes the sim unplayable.

I have  FX 9370 4.4ghz 8 core processor CPU, and a GTX 970 GPU.

Yes I know its not stae of art but it still runs most software at 1080 easily at 30fps or more...60 in world of tanks etc

Anyone got any ideas?

Maybe FSX is OK after all.

I mean that was hardcore bashing of the sim lol, remember this is a new gen simulator which require up to spec systems to run and very decent settings.

Have you not seen the videos of the 2080ti's struggling at 4K, yes a 2080ti a flagship card, if that struggles then everything underneath it will take a bigger hit.

I dont get why people bash it like mad, what do you expect ? the requirements was clearly stated. Heck even i upgraded my CPU as i knew my previous one would struggle.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Why oh why anyone would downgrade a monitor to 30hZ is completely beyond me in the year 2020. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Why oh why anyone would downgrade a monitor to 30hZ is completely beyond me in the year 2020. 

I don't think anyone does lol. You'd either set your monitor to 30Hz, lock fps to 30 or have 60 Hz native refresh rate and run at half V-sync.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomGuy said:

I don't think anyone does lol. You'd either set your monitor to 30Hz, lock fps to 30 or have 60 Hz native refresh rate and run at half V-sync.

Setting a 60hz Monitor to 30hz, is just insane. 
And this is assuming most people use 60hz, when let’s face it these days, most monitors are 100hz +...... 

1 hour ago, brassalley said:

Hi Guys

This is my view of this new flight simulator. Its terrible!

Yes the graphic candy of the landscape is good, but the graphic engine is terrible. It looks like it was done in the eighties and has an awful display. However, this is my problem. I am getting wild FPS fluctuations ie 3 - 44fps and it happens no matter what settings I use. It appears to alter every few seconds and it makes the sim unplayable.

I have  FX 9370 4.4ghz 8 core processor CPU, and a GTX 970 GPU.

Yes I know its not stae of art but it still runs most software at 1080 easily at 30fps or more...60 in world of tanks etc

Anyone got any ideas?

Maybe FSX is OK after all.

Please, don't let us hold up your return to FSX.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Setting a 60hz Monitor to 30hz, is just insane. 
And this is assuming most people use 60hz, when let’s face it these days, most monitors are 100hz +...... 

As I said earlier you're not usually changing the actual refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor (you can do this on some monitors though), you only lock your framerate. In a sense it can be quite crappy if you're used to higher framerate. But, if you can't keep a steady, constant frame rate the image will be a bit stuttery.

I personally very much prefer to have a constant locked 30 fps instead of fps that's jumping from 35-45 for example. This is all very subjective ofc. 🙂

Edited by TheRandomGuy

Thanks for that reply Jaydor. 

So to be clear, with the appropriately CPU & GPU powered setup,  anything above 30 FPS with a 60hz monitor will not improve the fluidity of Flight Sim 2020.  Correct?

9 minutes ago, donet said:

Thanks for that reply Jaydor. 

So to be clear, with the appropriately CPU & GPU powered setup,  anything above 30 FPS with a 60hz monitor will not improve the fluidity of Flight Sim 2020.  Correct?

Do yourself a favor and read these articles:

https://www.technologyx.com/featured/understanding-frame-rate-look-truth-behind-30v60-fps/

https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/whats-the-difference-between-30fps-and-60fps/

🙂

Edited by TheRandomGuy

Let me try again.
I was not asking about FPS in monitors or other games just Flight Sim 2020.  What I simply wanted to know is with optimal Monitor, CPU & GPU, is there anything to be gained by setting frame rates higher than 30 FPS in Flight Sim 2020.  Not the monitor or anything else.  A fairly simple question.

3 minutes ago, donet said:

Let me try again.
I was not asking about FPS in monitors or other games just Flight Sim 2020.  What I simply wanted to know is with optimal Monitor, CPU & GPU, is there anything to be gained by setting frame rates higher than 30 FPS in Flight Sim 2020.  Not the monitor or anything else.  A fairly simple question.

Short answer: Yes, the image will appear smoother with a higher framerate if you can keep it steady (which you can with appropriate hardware).

52 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Maybe it's because people such as myself cannot afford the latest tech in processors but I/we have a monitor capable of 30htz.

Which works well for myself.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donet said:

So is there a framerate that is generally agreed to be the ideal?

Sure, more is better 🙂 30fps is usable minimum and 60fps is much more better. And 90 fps is still better, than 60, but visual difference not so big, as 30->60. And more than 90 isn't necessary.