Sign in to follow this  
jschall

VFRMap - a moving map for MSFS 2020

As an alternate and a super simple click you can use the vfr map with NRST, DIR, flightplan, etc from the ICON A5.  the Right ALT key and left Mouse Click with pop it up into a window that can be sized and moved around.  You then have the basic VFR map but with the additional features along the right side of the map.

611884651_alternateVFRmap.thumb.JPG.d953d5fb42202077b172d0395f16218b.JPG

• Like 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

22 hours ago, ark said:

Does VFRMap offer some advantage over Little Navmap?

Al

I was wondering about this too. I dont have MSFS though - does LNP work with the sim?

In 632438562_vfrmap.thumb.JPG.36165102e323d8114ae55dd2638b6d5d.JPG to the basic vfr map you can have a HUD overlay of sorts with speed, heading, altitude.

I downloaded the github folder, unzipped it and started MFS20.  I don't see a black console to open the exe file?  Where should I be looking for it?

On 8/29/2020 at 11:35 AM, ark said:

Does VFRMap offer some advantage over Little Navmap?

Al

Yes. It has a "teleport" feature that allows instantaneous relocation of the aircraft to any point on the planet, which is amazing. As far as I know, LittleNavMap does not have this capability.

2 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Yes. It has a "teleport" feature that allows instantaneous relocation of the aircraft to any point on the planet, which is amazing. As far as I know, LittleNavMap does not have this capability.

You are correct, LNM does not have that capability as far as I know, although I did request a move aircraft feature be added to LNM a while back. So I wrote my own "Move Aircraft" Lua script to do that.

Al

• Like 1

I'm using it more for a "what is this city I'm Flying over?"

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

21 hours ago, ark said:

You are correct, LNM does not have that capability as far as I know, although I did request a move aircraft feature be added to LNM a while back. So I wrote my own "Move Aircraft" Lua script to do that.

That is amazing, I use LNP with XP11 and have wished it had such a feature. 

On 8/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, raymar said:

I downloaded the github folder, unzipped it and started MFS20.  I don't see a black console to open the exe file?  Where should I be looking for it?

The exe file opens the black console. Once open it can be minimized, and then you can open your browser and put in the IP address that's listed in the instructions.

Thanks, but I still can't locate the black console. Can someone post an image showing the location?

On 8/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, ThrottleUp said:

I dont have MSFS though - does LNP work with the sim?

It works just fine, with two caveats.  First, there's an issue with Simconnect that causes stutters when a client retrieves information on AI aircraft.  You can work around that in LNM for now by unchecking the "fetch AI aircraft" option in the settings.   And, second, it cannot yet read the MSFS scenery library (but it sounds like the author is making pretty rapid progress on that).  If you have an existing P3D/FSX/X-Plane install, you can just use that one's library to get some data in in the interim.  Alternately, if you have a Navigraph subscription, you can tell LNM to use that for *all* its data.   This would give you all the navaids and basic airport info, but you'll be lacking information like surface type and won't have any taxiway/parking diagrams.

I'm still using LSM in preference to everything else, it's a great tool.  VFRMap looks like a nice lightweight alternative if you just want to see where you are, but its features are pretty limited other than that.

(You can also get Google maps and satellite info into LNM using add-on maps in the forum here on Avsim, as well as US VFR and IFR charts.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

(You can also get Google maps and satellite info into LNM using add-on maps in the forum here on Avsim, as well as US VFR and IFR charts.)

Could you please explain this a bit more -- I don't know what you mean by "...using add-on maps in the forum here...". Are you saying there is a way to get Google Earth info into LNM? If so, how is that done?

Thx,

Al

1 minute ago, ark said:

Are you saying there is a way to get Google Earth info into LNM? If so, how is that done?

Yep!   Just go to this post in the LNM support forum, it has a download and instructions.

34 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

It works just fine, with two caveats.  First, there's an issue with Simconnect that causes stutters when a client retrieves information on AI aircraft.  You can work around that in LNM for now by unchecking the "fetch AI aircraft" option in the settings.   And, second, it cannot yet read the MSFS scenery library (but it sounds like the author is making pretty rapid progress on that).  If you have an existing P3D/FSX/X-Plane install, you can just use that one's library to get some data in in the interim.  Alternately, if you have a Navigraph subscription, you can tell LNM to use that for *all* its data.   This would give you all the navaids and basic airport info, but you'll be lacking information like surface type and won't have any taxiway/parking diagrams.

I'm still using LSM in preference to everything else, it's a great tool.  VFRMap looks like a nice lightweight alternative if you just want to see where you are, but its features are pretty limited other than that.

Thanks very much for this info, I didnt know it was possible to add Google Maps & VFR charts into LNM, that is really a neat feature!