Sign in to follow this  
namelessmonster

Icing effect not affecting aerodynamics

Just now, SirDan said:

I may have or have not crashed due to it

I plead the same!  But regardless....when you've been head down in the 'pit as you fly thru a wet cloud at altitude and notice your airspeed dropping as you're trying to figure out Direct To on the GPS.....the initial reaction of looking up and seeing your windscreen icing up is really quite ....uhhh......exhilarating? 😲  (yeah I'm a bad virtual-rated IFR pilot with a horrible instrument scan, but my IFR rating lessons were at a great price!) 🙂

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

6 minutes ago, namelessmonster said:

But I did try the other Aircrafts btw such as the Cessna 172 with the same result. At least for me, I don't notice anything adverse when flying with Ice Effect "On". I even switched it to "Visual Only" to see if the Boolean got swapped somehow in a software bug but that didn't affect anything either

Hmm....wonder if any other "Pilot assist" options also negate the effects of ice.   Have not played around with it much...we'll see if it hashes out when folks way more crafty than me look under MSFS's hood and can either mod it up or tell us how. 🙂

I only know that when I broke out on top in this pick, I did notice initial performance degradation before I flipped on all the icing options on the TBM (I couldn't find a switch to turn on the boots, I believe they are automatic.  And not sure if the spinner also gets ice treatment when you flip on Prop De-Ice on, but it was quite frosty for the rest of the trip at 25k in the clouds.

And if you haven't seen my post on icing (threads here vanish off the front page in minutes) the boots on the TBM are actually animated! (It was a very cool site to see)

XUokBt.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Was flying the turbo 182 the other day and got into ice,cloud no longer maintain altitude,there is a setting for icing effects

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It's modeled. 

Because of icing I had to perform a standard prop-first landing. (The procedure is in your Emergency Checklist under CFIT)

Edited by WestAir
  • Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

is it worth a purchase from your POV?

It's a bit overpriced for what it is if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's not so vastly different from the default 172 to justify forking out 24 quid for it.

If 24 quid is no big deal to you, then go for it, at least you'll then have a plane on which the doors open lol.

But I would say a more realistic and indeed sensible price for it would be £15 to £19, given that it is not significantly different from the aeroplanes you already have in the sim, and this lower price would make people more inclined to stump up the cash to buy it, meaning it would probably make Carenado even more money from sales through volume.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I can also confirm, I was affected by ice... in the cirrus just recently.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1 minute ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I can also confirm, I was affected by ice... in the cirrus just recently.

What do you think of the Cirrus? How does it fly -- any concerns?

Thx,

Al

Just now, ark said:

Thx,

Al

what weather conditions did you use? I just cant get the plane to produce an observable affect. Maybe I am simply word not allowed of what the affects may be. But I definitely didn't crash because of it, and I had some pretty radical conditions set. But enough people have said there is an affect that I believe there should be.

Wish I could notice it. 

9 minutes ago, ark said:

Thx,

Al

I’d say it’s ok, not great by no means. Biggest issue I have so far is right after getting off the ground the wings dip left and right pretty severely until I get to a certain height. Some dipping is expected, but it’s too excessive in the cirrus. I flew a 600 mile flight yesterday, flying Vor to vor airways while using DME, handled it no problem, used a couple ADF’s which again worked as it should. autopilot kept me on track and level. 

I got iced up while on autopilot and lost  all altitude which is expected, however After I disconnected autopilot to recover and shed the ice. When I went to re-arm the autopilot it was then broken. Nothing I could do would seem to fix it. Glad it was on the last 80 miles of the trip.

If your wondering if the extra cost for the premium deluxe is worth it to get it, I’d say definitely don’t upgrade for the cirrus.

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

The effects in this game are too overdone.  If you go though a cloud for 1 minute your airplane looks like its been sitting on the ground for hours in a blizzard and you can't see anything out the window.  I was hoping there was a way to turn the effect OFF.  but there is only visual only and ON.  Anyone know how to turn it OFF?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I’d say it’s ok, not great by no means. Biggest issue I have so far is right after getting off the ground the wings dip left and right pretty severely until I get to a certain height. Some dipping is expected, but it’s too excessive in the cirrus. I flew a 600 mile flight yesterday, flying Vor to vor airways while using DME, handled it no problem, used a couple ADF’s which again worked as it should. autopilot kept me on track and level. 

I got iced up while on autopilot and lost  all altitude which is expected, however After I disconnected autopilot to recovery and shed the ice. When I went to re-arm the autopilot it was then broken. Nothing I could do would seem to fix it. Glad it was on the last 80 miles of the trip.

If your wondering if the extra cost for the premium deluxe is worth it to get it, I’d say definitely don’t upgrade for the cirrus.

Thanks for the info -- much appreciated.

Al

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, namelessmonster said:

what weather conditions did you use? I just cant get the plane to produce an observable affect. Maybe I am simply word not allowed of what the affects may be. But I definitely didn't crash because of it, and I had some pretty radical conditions set. But enough people have said there is an affect that I believe there should be.

Wish I could notice it. 

I was on real weather so I’m not too sure the exact report at the time for that area, What I do know is The radar on the cirrus showed some pretty big cells around me , temp was about -10c I believe...and I was at 15,500 feet. Plane was covered in ice and I was dropping altitude, I was just able to maintain altitude but If I’d tried to climb I would stall. Stayed down low for a bit in warmer weather with anti ice on and it eventually went away. 

9 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I was on real weather so I’m not too sure the exact report at the time for that area, What I do know is The radar on the cirrus showed some pretty big cells around me , temp was about -10c I believe...and I was at 15,500 feet. Plane was covered in ice and I was dropping altitude, I was just able to maintain altitude but If I’d tried to climb I would stall. Stayed down low for a bit in warmer weather with anti ice on and it eventually went away. 

Well I had this set to "Snow" and increased cloud coverage to 100% and lowered temperatures even lower than the preset option.

This is as much ice as I could get to accumulate. It doesn't seem as if performance was affected. So I am not sure what is causing the difference in our experiences. If you notice anything giving a way a sign of the possible cause in the screenshots, please let me know

FRsDtkd.png

jfY86lm.png

2 minutes ago, namelessmonster said:

Well I had this set to "Snow" and increased cloud coverage to 100% and lowered temperatures even lower than the preset option.

This is as much ice as I could get to accumulate. It doesn't seem as if performance was affected. So I am not sure what is causing the difference in our experiences. If you notice anything giving a way a sign of the possible cause in the screenshots, please let me know

FRsDtkd.png

jfY86lm.png

The only difference I can see is in my case my front windscreen was almost completely covered in ice..A lot more than what you have if I remember correctly. 

I agree, it’s odd that i can achieve adverse flying effects and you get nothing.

Edited by flyinpilot212121

22 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

The only difference I can see is in my case my front windscreen was almost completely covered in ice..A lot more than what you have if I remember correctly. 

I agree, it’s odd that i can achieve adverse flying effects and you get nothing.

What the heck lol. Look closely at my wing. It looks like there's more than 1 inch of ice on it 

d1ypEfi.png