Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Airport where buildings are missing??

This is my local airport in MSFS.  KESN, Easton-Newnan Field, Easton, Maryland, USA.  This is the only airport I have found where the buildings/hangars are missing, only blotches where they would be.  Buildings in the community that surrounds the airport are present as you can see.  The only structure at this airports is a tower.   I have looked at somewhere between 40 and 50 other GA airports and this is the only one that does not have at least some mildly representative buildings.  Have any of you discovered other airports like this?  Even the nearby tiny W29, Bay Bridge airport is populated with buildings.

image.png.283d6635366d19d9c81ef7a93c238fc0.png

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

KBDL is missing a terminal so has stand alone jetways.dDAuzer.jpg 

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Most of the stock medium to small sized airports are like that. It's fun to use developer mode and add in the buildings, but given the present state of the SDK, the learning curve is a bit steep. Once one gets the hang of it, it's fairly easy to embellish a stock airport, as I've already done with KFGL and KSCH. Since  at present, it is not possible to import an MSFS stock airport with the SDK, I find it easier to start from scratch, since even the runways, aprons and taxiways may be inaccurate when compared to the RL airport. We can hope that steady progress is being made on a version of Airport Design Editor for MSFS.

• Like 1

The following airports in my area are missing buildings:

KCEY (my home airport), KVIH, KVJI, KEOD, KCKV, KSLO, KDYR, KSME, KCPF, KEKY KTWT, 4M7, KEKX, KGLW.  These are airports that I normally fly to and it is disappointing that they don't have buildings. Maybe this will be corrected in the coming update for the USA.  It is funny that KCEY doesn't have any buildings but little 42KY does have which is a private airport near the lake. The same is true of KVIH in Vichy, Mo. which in reality has many buildings but in the sim has none, but the little private strip Cat Belle, Mo. (My home town) does have a building.  Can't figure that one out. 

Anyway, let's hope they improve these things as time goes on. 

Ron

On 9/1/2020 at 11:58 PM, fppilot said:

This is my local airport in MSFS.  KESN, Easton-Newnan Field, Easton, Maryland, USA.  This is the only airport I have found where the buildings/hangars are missing, only blotches where they would be.  Buildings in the community that surrounds the airport are present as you can see.  The only structure at this airports is a tower.   I have looked at somewhere between 40 and 50 other GA airports and this is the only one that does not have at least some mildly representative buildings.  Have any of you discovered other airports like this?  Even the nearby tiny W29, Bay Bridge airport is populated with buildings.

Hi;

LTBA and especially LTBJ have also missing buildings.

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

The following airports in my area are missing buildings:

KCEY (my home airport), KVIH, KVJI, KEOD, KCKV, KSLO, KDYR, KSME, KCPF, KEKY KTWT, 4M7, KEKX, KGLW.  These are airports that I normally fly to and it is disappointing that they don't have buildings. Maybe this will be corrected in the coming update for the USA.  It is funny that KCEY doesn't have any buildings but little 42KY does have which is a private airport near the lake. The same is true of KVIH in Vichy, Mo. which in reality has many buildings but in the sim has none, but the little private strip Cat Belle, Mo. (My home town) does have a building.  Can't figure that one out. 

Anyway, let's hope they improve these things as time goes on. 

Ron

Ron,  I am just down the road from you.  Learned to fly at M25. I have flown in and out of KCEY a few times.  I actually created KCEY in P3D.  Its in the library here.  I am trying to learn the new SDK and will probably be bringing my P3D version over to MSFS.

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=KCEY&CatID=root&Go=Search

• Like 1

You can add KTOC and KCEU to the list.  I live betwixt both of these small airfields and they r nekkid.  I'm hoping ORBX will do a freeware global airport pack similar to what they did for fsx and p3d.

Edited by SmokeDiddy

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

On 9/1/2020 at 6:28 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

Most of the stock medium to small sized airports are like that. It's fun to use developer mode and add in the buildings, but given the present state of the SDK, the learning curve is a bit steep. Once one gets the hang of it, it's fairly easy to embellish a stock airport, as I've already done with KFGL and KSCH. Since  at present, it is not possible to import an MSFS stock airport with the SDK, I find it easier to start from scratch, since even the runways, aprons and taxiways may be inaccurate when compared to the RL airport. We can hope that steady progress is being made on a version of Airport Design Editor for MSFS.

Is there any way to view the scenery objects such as airport buildings and hangars in the SDK to see and identify the best matches for adding to a familiar airport??

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Is there any way to view the scenery objects such as airport buildings and hangars in the SDK to see and identify the best matches for adding to a familiar airport??

Unfortunately not yet. I saw that someone was trying to create a library of thumbnails for all the MSFS general hangars, but there hasn't been any further word on this. The only way to see what to use is to check the "one click" checkbox in the Scenery editor when you add scenery objects. At least that shows a WYSIWYG version of the model, which also can be rotated and scaled before placing. ADE for MSFS is still under development, but it may eventually add the ability to include thumbnails for scenery objects.

There are also a large number of scenery objects that have no names and are referred to only be their GUID. Many of these appear invalid in the scenery editor and lack a placeable model. But some appear to be airport building "LEGO" blocks which can be used to create terminals. Also the models used for autogen buildings are in encrypted files and presently are not available in the MSFS SDK Scenery Editor.

• Like 1

I'm surveying MD right now and there are several with missing buildings. I've surveyed all of NJ/NY/PA/DE and found it's fairly common, sometimes even only just 2-3 missing while the rest are there. Even some major airports are building-less. Nothing's perfect at these general airports but they are close enough 95% of the time

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

On 10/5/2020 at 4:05 PM, awreaper said:

Ron,  I am just down the road from you.  Learned to fly at M25. I have flown in and out of KCEY a few times.  I actually created KCEY in P3D.  Its in the library here.  I am trying to learn the new SDK and will probably be bringing my P3D version over to MSFS.

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=KCEY&CatID=root&Go=Search

Great. Glad to hear from a neighbor. I wish I had known about your Murray airport when I was using P3D. I hope you can make one for fs-2020. That would be great! Thanks for the reply.

Ron

Edited by W4ET

On 9/1/2020 at 4:58 PM, fppilot said:

Check your private messages. (Not sure if the forum software notifies you when someone sends you a private message...)

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

KDNS (Denison, Iowa, US) is missing all of its buildings.

I know Iowa is flat, but not so flat that even its buildings are 2-D!!!  This is the airport that I took my private pilots certificate checkride at, so needless to say, there's a lack of immersion in the experience of flying back there.