Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Rockliffe

3080 compatible MB advice

Recommended Posts

I'm in the throws of compiling a list of components for a new sim build, they are:-

  • i7 10700k Comet Lake CPU
  • Noctua NH-U12A Cooler
  • MSI Z-490 MB
  • Corsair Vengeance 32Gb DDR4 2666Mhz (3200?) RAM
  • Corsair Pro PLatinum 1000W PSU
  • Be Quiet Silent Base 801 Case

Feedback on my choice of components would be very much appreciated, but my real question is, will the Z-490 be compatible with the RTX3080? I currently have the 1080ti, which I want to use until which time I can afford the upgrade to the 3080.

Advice always greatly received. Thanks fellas.

 

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 5ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Western Digital 1Tb HD + Storage, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, PFC Yoke, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, CPlight MCP, Virtual Fly TQ.



Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

will the Z-490 be compatible with the RTX3080

Yes shouldn't be any compatibility issue.

I'd probably go for faster RAM if possible - see what deals you can get for 3600 CL16 RAM as RAM prices should continue to fall throughout the year.

The Noctua U12A is a good air cooler and think it'd be ok for overclocking the 10700K. There shouldn't be any RAM height clearance issues with the U12 as opposed to the larger DH-15. Personally, I'd rather go with an AIO like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 which will give you a bit better performance at a bit less noise for the same price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

Yes shouldn't be any compatibility issue.

I'd probably go for faster RAM if possible - see what deals you can get for 3600 CL16 RAM as RAM prices should continue to fall throughout the year.

The Noctua U12A is a good air cooler and think it'd be ok for overclocking the 10700K. There shouldn't be any RAM height clearance issues with the U12 as opposed to the larger DH-15. Personally, I'd rather go with an AIO like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 which will give you a bit better performance at a bit less noise for the same price.

 

Thanks matey, that's very helpful and much appreciated. Like this...   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK32GX4M2D3200C16-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B072FLGN4V/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=3600+CL16+RAM&qid=1599320529&s=electronics&sr=1-12 

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 5ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Western Digital 1Tb HD + Storage, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, PFC Yoke, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, CPlight MCP, Virtual Fly TQ.



Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that you should consider some better RAM.  The Corsair link above is 3200 MHz CAS 16, which is average consumer-grade stuff.  3600 CAS 16 would be a better choice.

I'd also recommend, if you've decided to stick with air cooling, considering the NH-D15S dual-tower cooler over the U12...and you have the option of adding a second fan to it.  My portable simming rig has an 8-core 9900K and a dual-fan, dual tower NH-D15, and it is just adequate for sim loads at 5.0GHz HT Off.  The NH-D15S version comes with a single fan and uses an offset heat sink to avoid crowding out the taller memory DIMMs, which is a good idea these days, as most performance memory comes with taller heat sinks on the DIMMs.  You may well find that the second fan is needed.  The NH-D15 won't keep up with a heavy all-core stress test using Prime95--it quickly climbs past my personal threshold of 80 deg C during tests, which prompted me to change my testing methodology, and I now use RealBench as a more realistic stress test for simming machines.

  • Like 2

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, faster RAM. I just recommended that John (in a separate thread) go with this kit:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627422/gskill-trident-z-neo-series-rgb-32gb-(2-x-16gb)-ddr4-3600-cl16-dual-channel-memory-kit-f4-3600c16d-32gtzn---black

The Noctua will hold you back if you decide to overclock in the future. Go with a good 360mm AIO cooler like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting-Software/dp/B0829S536D

Basically, Tektolnes was right on. Just a different opinion from me on component selection. Otherwise, enjoy!

-Elliot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

45 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Like this...

I'd probably go for 3600 CL 16 with sub 10ns latency. This 32GB Gskill Ripjaws set linked below is a reasonable deal at £134 I think. You can get RAM with some tighter timings but you'll have to pay considerably more for it. 

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232907

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3080 is a PCIe 4.0 graphics card, and although it shouldn't pose a bandwidth problem plus as Intel is looking right now i would definitely go the AMD way. It features PCIe 4.0 motherboards with superior performance on which newer, more modern SSDs can be added for incredible performance (for example the insane Samsung 980). Intel is on the backburner for now and it doesn't seem to be getting out of it anytime soon with refreshes of the same silicon and increasing power consumption/temperature. I'm there after the 8700K and don't regret it one bit.

 

If you do go the Intel way (or AMD for that matter), skip the DDR2666 RAM and get 3600, it's the sweet spot. Oh and a very good CPU cooler as well, you'll need it.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.7GHz · 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3800 14-15-12 · nVidia RTX2080Ti · Gigabyte x570i WiFi PRO · Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2 SATA · BenQ Designer PD3200Q VA 32" QHD · NZXT H210i · Fully Watercooled · Seasonic Core 650W 80+ GOLD

38.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

 

I'd probably go for 3600 CL 16 with sub 10ns latency. This 32GB Gskill Ripjaws set linked below is a reasonable deal at £134 I think. You can get RAM with some tighter timings but you'll have to pay considerably more for it. 

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232907

 

Would this be similar?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK32GX4M2D3200C16-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B072FLGN4V/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=3600%2BCL16%2BRAM&qid=1599320529&s=electronics&sr=1-12&th=1


Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 5ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Western Digital 1Tb HD + Storage, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, PFC Yoke, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, CPlight MCP, Virtual Fly TQ.



Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Would this be similar?

It would be a littler slower so you'd get a few less FPS but not a massive difference. Guess it comes down to budget in the end. If you're building a PC and the roughly £60 difference between 3600 CL16 and 3200 CL16 is an issue then go with the 3200 and don't worry about it. You'll get more benefit simply from having the 32GB. However if the price difference isn't all that big a deal then I think you'd be better off opting for the 3600 CL16 as it's the sweet spot right now. 

Also I made a mistake with the RAM I linked up above as it's actually closer to £160 including shipping. I haven't heard great things about buying internationally from Newegg either so I'd probably avoid - especially if there's a problem with the sticks and you have to RMA them all the way back to the US. Maybe something like this but again comes down to your budget as it is 50% more than what you linked and the differences when it comes to your FPS will be relatively small: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083VN3CP1?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

No, that's still 3200 MHz RAM at CAS 16, which is 10ns Joe-average stuff.  3600 @ 16 is 8.9 ns latency, 3200 @ 16 is 10ns latency, or about 11% slower.

Faster RAM doesn't really translate into better FPS, but I find it does make a difference w/r/t smoothness in areas with heavy autogen and AI in P3D. 

  • Like 1

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, w6kd said:

No, that's still 3200 MHz RAM at CAS 16, which is 10ns Joe-average stuff.  3600 @ 16 is 8.9 ns latency, 3200 @ 16 is 10ns latency, or about 11% slower.

Faster RAM doesn't really translate into better FPS, but I find it does make a difference w/r/t smoothness in areas with heavy autogen and AI in P3D. 

Thanks Bob, I'll pay more attention in future :blush:


Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 5ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Western Digital 1Tb HD + Storage, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, PFC Yoke, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, CPlight MCP, Virtual Fly TQ.



Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

It would be a littler slower so you'd get a few less FPS but not a massive difference. Guess it comes down to budget in the end. If you're building a PC and the roughly £60 difference between 3600 CL16 and 3200 CL16 is an issue then go with the 3200 and don't worry about it. You'll get more benefit simply from having the 32GB. However if the price difference isn't all that big a deal then I think you'd be better off opting for the 3600 CL16 as it's the sweet spot right now. 

Also I made a mistake with the RAM I linked up above as it's actually closer to £160 including shipping. I haven't heard great things about buying internationally from Newegg either so I'd probably avoid - especially if there's a problem with the sticks and you have to RMA them all the way back to the US. Maybe something like this but again comes down to your budget as it is 50% more than what you linked and the differences when it comes to your FPS will be relatively small: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083VN3CP1?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 

Hmm, to be honest, this PC build is starting to get out of control! £180 is more than I was going to pay for RAM. I will have to put my thinking head on, thanks for the advice  :huh:

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 5ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Western Digital 1Tb HD + Storage, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, PFC Yoke, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, CPlight MCP, Virtual Fly TQ.



Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep budget can add up pretty quickly unfortunately. If you wanted to adjust your budget to get the better RAM you could maybe consider dropping down a level in your case selection. Something like the Lancooll II Mesh, Phanteks P400S, Be Quiet 500DX could save you a good chunk of the difference between the 3200 and 3600 RAM. Or check around for a used case to save a bit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice and support guys. I have today dusted off my credit card and ordered all the components, including the 32Gb 3600 CL16 RAM that ha sbeen recommended :wacko: I just have to wait for the release of the 3080 and then we'll be all sweet!

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 5ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Western Digital 1Tb HD + Storage, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, PFC Yoke, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, CPlight MCP, Virtual Fly TQ.



Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure the Z-490 motherboard you are planning to buy is PCIe 4.0 compatible, my MSI Carbone Wifi is and I can recommend it, I also use Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz memory and MSFS runs smooth as butter for me.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

| I9 10900K | 32Gb 3200MHz | RTX 2080 Ti | 1TB M.2 SSD | BenQ EX3501R | TM Hotas Warthog | VKB-SIM T-Rudder Pedals |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    39%
    $9,930.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...