Sign in to follow this  
cwburnett

CJ4 Community Mod by Working Title Released

I found the link to the CJ2 Mod :

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

55 minutes ago, vonmar said:

My question was basically about continued Support by the Community.

After a while family problems and home life / other obligations can get in the way of continuing Mod (product) support as Flight Sim updates are released.

If your question is whether there is guaranteed indefinite future support of this unpaid project, then unfortunately I would have to answer that there is not. This is a labor of charity, so I suppose nobody can make any guarantees about how all our lives will proceed. We're doing this out of an enjoyment for the sim, and hopefully not as a second job. We're all very dedicated and excited, but nobody is getting paid, and sometimes life is life.

That being said, the code is all open source and on GitHub, so if it turns out that things fall behind, you and others are always welcome to take up the mantle and contribute to the code. 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

My question was basically about continued Support by the Community.

As Matt said, who knows whether today's team will still be working on the CJ4 or the G1000 at some undefined point in the future. Also as Matt said, the reason we're using Github and developing completely in the clear is that this is a community mod - meaning anyone in the community can work on it, fork it, branch it, make their own mod from our mod, etc. There are no secrets or hidden keys - it's all in the open. A lot of what will determine what we work on is whether we're still having fun, whether we've found something new to work on, whether we decide to build a new panel or plane, etc. If I or another member of the team gets hit by a bus tomorrow, there's nothing stopping anyone else from continuing the work. I'd say as long as there's interest in the CJ4, someone will continue to support and enhance this project - if in a year there's a great batch of payware planes that take the sim to a new level, there may not be much continued interest. Who knows what the future will bring.

For now, it's free and it's an improvement over the default, so there's really no risk to drop it in your community folder...or not...totally up to you 🙂 But nobody can answer whether support will exist in the future. I don't expect it, but Asobo could completely lock up all the default planes in the next update and kill every mod out there. Can't know the future.

• Like 3

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Can one of you experienced CJ4 sim pilots recommend someone to build the CJ4 Aircraft Performance data file and add it to Little NavMap?  LNM now has a stable beta available for MSFS but, the CJ4 has not been added as one of the aircraft.

I can contribute captured performance data from my flights using the CJ4 and LNM.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Hi,

Thanks Guys for this special work.  As mentioned by a few I also can not take off without a sharp up pitch after getting airborne as well as a sharp bank to the left.  In about 5 seconds after lifting off the ac is stalling.  Tried the suggestion to change the flight model file (earlier post), the pitch is less, in fact the ac sinks to the rwy and one need to apply more back pressure but the left banking remains.

Are you using full power and rotating at the computed VR speed?

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Yes, full power and correct VR speed as per FMS.  Need to mention this only starting to happen after installing this mod.

Edited by Willem Clack

2 minutes ago, Willem Clack said:

Yes, full power and correct VR speed as per FMS.  Need to mention this only starting to happen after installing this mod.

Did you set elevator trim to take off position?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Yes, I do.  I am now going to uninstall this mod and see what happens, are you experiencing the same or not.

Edited by Willem Clack

I am also in the "WILD TAKEOFF" gang and this issue existed for me before and after any mods to CJ4.  I have flaps 15 - trim in green - and rotate at VR speed.  My issue is more lateral than vertical.  The wings immediately begin a "WIG WAG"  uncontrollably, then within a few seconds it begins to "porpoise".  By the time I get YD on - Gear Up and Flaps up, she starts to smooth a little around 500 ft AGL.  Once I get the AP on she calms down pretty much.

WAT1460.png

@cwburnett Is there a way to get the HSI now?  I think before one would press FRMT.  There seems to be a difference between the TUN page and what is shown when I turn on BRG pointers.  Essentially, I cannot tune a VOR and use the HSI anymore.

Note that I have GEP VORTAC 117.30 tuned in the FMS but the BRG pointers say 108.000

50372309961_1824ebac36_o.pngCJ4rmi by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am at a lost of words now, the same is happening now even with the mod uninstalled.  I truly never had it before.

30 minutes ago, Willem Clack said:

Yes, I do.  I am now going to uninstall this mod and see what happens, are you experiencing the same or not.

Our mod doesn't contain a flight model file at all, so nothing about the flight characteristics are currently affected by the mod. We do include an engines.cfg, which removes reverse thrust, lowers power (Asobo had accidentally doubled power by specifying the total thrust as single engine thrust) and adjusts fuel consumption to allow for a somewhat more realistic experience, but this has not been our primary focus. We're waiting on better documentation in the SDK docs prior to embarking on any real flight model work. (you can see my note about this here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/585354-flight-model-improvements/?do=findComment&comment=4354243

That doesn't help you or others though...I'm honestly not sure why some people are experiencing this and others aren't. I don't have either a lateral or pitch stability problem. If those of you that are having this problem are in a position to make and post a video, it might help us better understand.

I will shoot a video a little later today of what my takeoff looks like with the yoke visible and maybe we can compare notes and see what's what.

36 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Is there a way to get the HSI now?  I think before one would press FRMT.  There seems to be a difference between the TUN page and what is shown when I turn on BRG pointers.  Essentially, I cannot tune a VOR and use the HSI anymore.

Looks like a bug! Would you mind adding it to our issues list and we'll take a look at it? We discussed our plans for bug fixes and feature rollouts, and I think we'll be shooting for weekly batched bug fixes, with feature updates spread out a bit more based on when we have new features to share. So, in the next day or so, we'll go through the accumulated reported bugs and try and bang out fixes where possible for this coming weekend....

EDIT: I should clarify that this isn't a firm commitment to roll out weekly bug fixes, just that we've generally discussed that as a cadence for the near-term as we work on this project.

Edited by cwburnett

1 hour ago, raymar said:

Can one of you experienced CJ4 sim pilots recommend someone to build the CJ4 Aircraft Performance data file and add it to Little NavMap?  LNM now has a stable beta available for MSFS but, the CJ4 has not been added as one of the aircraft.

I can contribute captured performance data from my flights using the CJ4 and LNM.

Regards,

Ray

Ray, I was thinking that once we get to do a bit more work on the flight model, fuel consumption, etc that we'd do a simbrief and LNM performance profile. I'm not sure it's worth doing it now since the performance is still a ways off from reality...