Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Locked Frames?

Just now, Will Fly For Cheese said:

What's CPU have you got?

i9-9900K OC to 4.7ghz

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

and how much and what speed RAM?

Please take a look at my signature 🙂

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Oops - sorry 🍻

You've got a good rig there. MSFS seems to like our 1080Ti's. I'd leave your frames unlocked and let it run.

When you look around and see what problems others are having with high end equipment I feel blessed that my system is proving very effective at running the sim.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

18 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I believe its CPU limited, so a 3090 wont really make much difference...That is what I seems to have found out though. PS the sim looks terrible with anything below 200 imo. 

I think you are right, maybe we should put our hopes at better CPUs in the future, I think I skip the RTX 3 series, the game is running well enough on my 2080Ti for now and instead wait and see what the future has to offer, an optimization to DX-12 is perhaps the only thing needed for our systems.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, Le Français said:

My main concern in my 1080TI. My CPU is fine but my GPU is always running at 100% so I wanted to try to reduce a bit of stress by locking to 60FPS. Thoughts?

Personally, I limit the fps externally to give my GPU a bit more headroom.

Why run it at 100% and heat up my office, if that does not buy me any smoother flight? 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

35 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

The GPU should be pegged at 100% - it's what it's been designed to do and designed to run at.

You're getting your money's worth from it.

I have never seen any evidence that video cards are designed to run at 100%.. and personally, I feel that I am getting my money's worth when it runs at 60% 🙂

Great minds may differ on this..

• Like 1

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I have never seen any evidence that video cards are designed to run at 100%.. and personally, I feel that I am getting my money's worth when it runs at 60% 🙂

What card have you got Bert?

What card have you got Bert?

GTX 1070.

Bert

14 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

GTX 1070.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-usage-100-when-playing.2116177/

If your PC tower case is not compromised by poor design and your cooling is all good you should definitely run that baby at 100%.

Look at it this way; if you had a Ferrari - would you never drive it over 50 mph?

UNLEASH THAT POWER!

Your FPS will thank you for it. And that means more sliders to the right!

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

If your PC tower case is not compromised by poor design and your cooling is all good you should definitely run that baby at 100%.

Look at it this way; if you had a Ferrari - would you never drive it over 50 mph?

UNLEASH THAT POWER!

Your FPS will thank you for it.

😆🤣

10 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Maybe look at it THIS way:  After taking off you reduce power to gain efficiency and to reduce wear and tear on all those components. Your Ferrari won't last long if you go full throttle all the way.

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

4 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Maybe look at it THIS way:  After taking off you reduce power to gain efficiency and to reduce wear and tear on all those components. Your Ferrari won't last long if you go full throttle all the way.

Nor will your graphics card but it'll (cooling efficiency permitting) do you the 3-4 years at 100% usage before you start to eye up an upgrade - and it won't cost you the price of Ferrari.

To continue your analogy - stick the graphics card in your PC case and "firewall it's throttle".

I would like to try RTSS but I cannot get it to except MSFS exe or a short cut or the quick start cheat.

I tried it just using global and I have to say It was very smooth. I set it to the youtube set up I found vid with scanline set to -30, no idea if that's right or not but the flight I did was super smooth. How can I add MSFS to the apps.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

56 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

have never seen any evidence that video cards are designed to run at 100%.. and personally, I feel that I am getting my money's worth when it runs at 60% 🙂

I'm with you on that one Bert.

I don't understand why I would want to run my GPU constantly at 100% with no discernable improvement to my experience.

I have mine locked at 40 fps and it runs very smoothly at 1440p with a mix of Ultra and high settings. If I unlimit the fps it will average out at about 50 (ish) but it doesn't feel any different to me.

What is different is that unlimited my GPU is at about 79 degrees C, Using about 215Watts and much noisier.

With limited to 40 fps it's at about 62 degrees C and using about 150 Watts and fairly quiet.

Another plus with running it limited is if I fly into a much more complex scenery area I have some spare capacity in my GPU and it doesn't stutter. If I run it unlimited the fps suddenly drop in complex areas and it feels much worse.

If we are going to use a Car analogy

41 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Of course I would go over 50mph but I wouldn't be driving it flat out everywhere at maximum revs. It would wear out faster, cost a fortune in fuel and I would still be constrained by other traffic around me so I wouldn't achieve anything.

I also wouldn't think I wasn't getting my moneys worth just because I couldn't run the car flat out out in every gear 100% of the time.

Take this example :-

My car will do about 80mph at the red line (6,500 rpm) in 3rd gear. If I had the road to myself I could do 80 miles in 1 hour.

If I were to put it in 6th gear 80mph would be at about 3,000 rpm. I would still do the 80 miles in 1 hour. 

The difference being it would cause less engine wear, cost less in fuel and be quieter. for the same outcome, also if I need to go a bit faster I can in 6th gear, but in 3rd I'm already maxed out at the rev limiter.

Running your gfx card at 100% all the time is like running your car in 3rd gear all the time just because you can and for no benefit.

Obviously if you prefer to run it flat out that's your call, and your cost. I just can't see why you would want to do it.

Edited by Blat14
addition
  • Like 2