Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Locked Frames?

18 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Oops - sorry 🍻

You've got a good rig there. MSFS seems to like our 1080Ti's. I'd leave your frames unlocked and let it run.

When you look around and see what problems others are having with high end equipment I feel blessed that my system is proving very effective at running the sim.

Man you guys are lucky. I also have a 1080ti (with a ryzen 3600 and 32gb RAM) and I'm lucky to get 26-31FPS in GA aircraft with a mix of mostly High and Med settings at 1440p or 1080p. I've tried so many things to improve the situation, but nothing seems to make any difference.

1 hour ago, Jeeper said:

Man you guys are lucky. I also have a 1080ti (with a ryzen 3600 and 32gb RAM) and I'm lucky to get 26-31FPS in GA aircraft with a mix of mostly High and Med settings at 1440p or 1080p. I've tried so many things to improve the situation, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Arm yourself with pen and paper and watch this, taking notes of what you don't need on medium, high, ultra, etc.

It's a good eye-opener.

Very cool music too.

2 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Can any kind soul explain the correct way locking fps and refresh rate? I have tried most of the settings that are given as tips here on the forum, but all of them gives me micro stutter, the game runs best for me with unlocked fps with G-Sync + V-sync enabled in Nvidia panel.

My tv is capable of 30hz.  So i just go to nvidia control panel.  Then under display change resolution.  I select refresh rate of 30hz.  Then in the sim I select vsync on with frame rate lock to 60.  My MSFS will now lock to 30.  Yes not 60.  But very smooth for the most part

Others have had better experience with RTSS.  I haven't played around with that much, so you should search this site for it.  Hope this helps.  

PS: I don't use GSync.  I don't have that on my TV.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

43 minutes ago, micstatic said:

My tv is capable of 30hz.  So i just go to nvidia control panel.  Then under display change resolution.  I select refresh rate of 30hz.  Then in the sim I select vsync on with frame rate lock to 60.  My MSFS will now lock to 30.  Yes not 60.  But very smooth for the most part

Others have had better experience with RTSS.  I haven't played around with that much, so you should search this site for it.  Hope this helps.  

PS: I don't use GSync.  I don't have that on my TV.  

I have try that, even lock fps with RTSS, the game runs as smooth and fine as it does when I run it without locking fps, but i get terrible mouse lag and choppy camera movements, that's probably the price you have to pay to run it at 30fps, so this isn't something for me, I have decide that I will continue to run the game without locking fps, my computer seems to be able to handle it anyway.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Well I COULD lock my FPS to my monitor setting (1440p 144hz) but I have this funny feeling that my 2060 is not really likely to get even vaguely close to 144 fps in fs2020 at 1440p .

39 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Well I COULD lock my FPS to my monitor setting (1440p 144hz) but I have this funny feeling that my 2060 is not really likely to get even vaguely close to 144 fps in fs2020 at 1440p .

Of course, you need to change your monitors frequency to 30hz first, I know, it feels like going back to ancient times.... 😎

I wanted to try this myself as so many people say that the game runs so much smoother and better, but nothing got better, rather worse when it comes to camera and mouse movements, at least for me.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

22 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Maybe look at it THIS way:  After taking off you reduce power to gain efficiency and to reduce wear and tear on all those components. Your Ferrari won't last long if you go full throttle all the way.

Sometimes you can cause more damage not using an item at it's intended higher performance setting. I'm not necessarily just talking talking about computer components, certain things are meant to be given a good blast now and again.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

47 minutes ago, eaim said:

Sometimes you can cause more damage not using an item at it's intended higher performance setting. I'm not necessarily just talking talking about computer components, certain things are meant to be given a good blast now and again.

That's certainly true.  My rather ancient mother has a rather swish BMW 1 series Sport which she has "glazed" in to something with the performance of a tractor over the years due to never taking it above 3000 RPM.

9 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Can any kind soul explain the correct way locking fps and refresh rate? I have tried most of the settings that are given as tips here on the forum, but all of them gives me micro stutter, the game runs best for me with unlocked fps with G-Sync + V-sync enabled in Nvidia panel.

I can't say what is the correct way, just what seems to work best for me.

I lock it with the ingame settings and vsync on. I have tried with the Nvidia frame rate lock and VSync but I find that seems to cause small stutters when I'm looking out the side windows.

Curiously the ingame settings always give me twice the value I set. So I set it to 20 in game that gives me a nice steady 40fps with very few stutters apart from some minor ones when entering a large airport. I can set it to 30 and get 60 fps outside the more complex areas but then it stutters quite badly when I do get close to them so I leave it at 20 (to get 40fps)

I'm running at 1440p with a 3700X @ 4.2GHz and a 2070 Super, 32GB of 3600MHz ram

• Like 1