Sign in to follow this  
ducaud

Crashes to desktop

Hello,  

About a week ago I finished building my new PC and downloaded the premium version of MSFS2020. I have a rather powerful system,

I have an I9-10850K , 32Gb of DDR4-4000 RAM, one NVME SSD and two SSDs, and until I get my hands on an RTX  3090, I am using my  GTX 1080Ti with 11GB,

For the week I have been doing some flights to sightseeing around the world, and I find the graphics really impressive and true to life. I  am a pilot and a few years ago I crossed the US diagonally from Florida to Oregon at low altitude.

I have recreated some parts of the flight, and i can tell you that, what they got here is really impressive.

I was very happy until I fired up the simulator today and it started to do an upgrade. Japan scenery and many other "improvements" Right after the "Improvements" I started a flight. I flew for about 10 minutes, then I opened the map, and I was instantly back at the desktop. I started a second flight, and the same thing happened. I started a third flight, but know I now,know not to open the map. After a while I wanted to change the camera view, and once again I was at the desktop.

I guess it was quite good at the beginning, until it was "upgraded". Itcould also be another thing altogether, for which Microsoft is also responsible.

I have a home built Boeing 737 cockpit that uses the Prosim737 software, I am utlimately intending to use MSFS2020 with Prosim737 once they are compatible. 

I have stayed (until now) using Windows 7, and the reason is primarily that you can stop completely Windows from starting automatic updates. Now that MSFS 2020 came out, and P3D v5 is out I did not have the choice to continue with Windows 7.

This afternoon at system startup it did a Windows 10 upgrade, right before it did the MSFS2020 upgrade. So, I do not know which one of the two caused the issue. In any event, what I was dreading could happen when I moved to Windows 10 happened extremely quickly. 

Lets  see what is causing this,

Regards

It's the sim. Rather unstable for the moment. Hopefully next patch will resolve those stability issues. Haven't had a crash myself since ... I can't even remember anymore, tech alfa maybe, but sure as hell crashing now.

Edited by Evros
  • Upvote 1

If you mean the VFR map it is a known bug that was mentioned in patch notes, there is a workaround that fix the problem, I do not use the VFR map myself so I have not bothered about it.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I just read that Little Nav Map is already compatible, and is also a lot more useful. But it also crashed to desktop, when I changed the camera views. I giess will be fixed in a patch.

3 minutes ago, ducaud said:

I just read that Little Nav Map is already compatible, and is also a lot more useful. But it also crashed to desktop, when I changed the camera views. I giess will be fixed in a patch.

I think there is a setting in the game where you can set the VFR map to open with the game, then I think it will work without CTD, but I'm not sure.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Thanks, but the functionality of the VFR Map is not really that good. I will try LNav Map.

The workaround I've been using is to open the VFR map as soon as I enter the cockpit. It's the first thing I do. I leave it there until I'm set up and ready to go and then I close it. I was getting the CTD following the Japan update but not anymore.

I got a Ryzen 7 1800X rig about three years ago. I'm very happy with the performance of the sim on Ultra settings, but I'm really looking forward to a new rig sometime in the next two or three years. This sim should be superb by then!

Mike Beckwith

28 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I think there is a setting in the game where you can set the VFR map to open with the game, then I think it will work without CTD, but I'm not sure.

Doesn't work ... I still get CTDs - also if I open close the map on the ground, before startup. Bringing up the map after take off often gives me a CTD. Note: this is with the latest update but without installing the Japan scenery.

However, my latest LittleNavMap is working like a champ. What a superb piece of work that is!

Adam.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

LittleNavmap is much much better and can run on a separate networked pc.

my system is very similar to yours and after the recent 1.9.3 Japan update I also encountered constant random CTDs. my solution was to change VOICE setting from AZURE online to WINDOWS OFFLINE and NO MULTIPLAYERS. have not had a single CTD ever since. and yes, VFR map was confirmed to CTD by Asobo.

we just discussed several options here and probably should make this a sticky until next update:

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

10 minutes ago, turbomax said:

my solution was to change VOICE setting from AZURE online to WINDOWS OFFLINE and NO MULTIPLAYERS. have not had a single CTD ever since. and yes, VFR map was confirmed to CTD by Asobo.

I set up my voice to offline (and installed the language packs in Windows) ages ago - and also have multiplayers disabled. I still get CTDs.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

that doesn't neccessarily mean those 2 settings are irrelevant, you might have additional issues. some people use incompatible stuff and mods in their community folder, use folders without sufficient user access rights, overclocking and heat problems, wrong virtual memory settings, faulty drives, underpowered power supplies, antivirus blocking access to files and folders, anything goes. you could also check the official Zendesk Q&A

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

I have only had CTD when i tried to overclock either my GPU or CPU. No CTDs if i keep things stock. But this is with a 4 core, 8 thread CPU. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

We all have our personal approaches to the VFR map bug.  I had two CTD’s yesterday even not using the VFR map, so I set the map to open at start; then I minimize it and don’t use it and I have been successful this morning for a few test flights.

The CTD’s were the first I’ve had since the Beta.

3 minutes ago, James Callan said:

We all have our personal approaches to the VFR map bug.  I had two CTD’s yesterday even not using the VFR map, so I set the map to open at start; then I minimize it and don’t use it and I have been successful this morning for a few test flights.

The CTD’s were the first I’ve had since the Beta.

You could also disable it by unchecking it from the config tool on same toolbar. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

15 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

However, my latest LittleNavMap is working like a champ. What a superb piece of work that is!

Adam.

I have to try Little NavMap, it looks good but seems a bit complicated, is it hard to learn?