Sign in to follow this  
Araxxos

Flybywire A320 landing bug?

Hi 🙂

Does anyone else use the latest Flybywire mod for the A320 and have the same issue with it banking left on short final/just before touchdown..? For me it happens on every landing where the airbus does a left bank just before touching the ground....

Anyone know of a fix?

Check your Approach speed in the FMS. Probably somewhere around 147 KIAS. Hold that speed until the Retard call. Only then do you pull back on the throttles. You need to fly the A320 onto the ground.
If you start pulling back on the throttles when you start the flare, your speed will rapidly erode below 120 knots, wing stalls and drops. Crash.

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

2 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Check your Approach speed in the FMS. Probably somewhere around 147 KIAS. Hold that speed until the Retard call. Only then do you pull back on the throttles. You need to fly the A320 onto the ground.
If you start pulling back on the throttles when you start the flare, your speed will rapidly erode below 120 knots, wing stalls and drops. Crash.

That's good information, thank you. I've had a few approaches that I think I have dipped my speed a little too low right before flaring and the auto go-around kicks in, sending my engines full throttle.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

For reference, that’s not at all how the real Airbus flies. MS have got it completely wrong.

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Like 4

Incorrect. 

• Like 2

Tony Fontaine

The entire plane is a bugfest with the latest mod. 300+ issues on GitHub. You can't fly it and expect a smooth ride at this point.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

There's an issue with the plane holding pitch attitude in both takeoff and flare.  Elevator authority is lost in ground mode transitioning to flight mode during take off and flare mode. I even noticed this in cruise while flying manually that it requires a lot of elevator to pitch up. Airbus philosophy is basically set trim once and leave it. Once you pull back or push forward on the stick and return it to center, it memorizes the pitch and holds it there. In flare mode the autotrim should pitch the nose down slightly to remind the pilot to flare but it's way overdone. I know the mod is a step forward with systems and such, but ABOSO needs to fix this I believe first. The guys working on the mod are trying as best they can to get it right.

• Like 4

Tony Fontaine

4 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Its a known issue, i have the same problem no matter what the speeds are.

its does it randomly.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

As far as I know the mod doesn't change these things on the plane at all. The modded plane and the default plane fly the same way. And you never know when these bugs strike. One time it can all go fine, and then then next three landings you will have left wing dip on flare, nose wobbles like a crazy duck, or it simply wont land hehe (though that is more of a 787 thing). 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Yes it’s a known issue but as I stated above here, it works to prevent wing dipping. It may be a slight workaround but to those saying “incorrect” and “that’s not how it flies” is actually not “incorrect”. Rather enlighten us with your wisdom if you wish to contradict.  🙂

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

4 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Yes it’s a known issue but as I stated above here, it works to prevent wing dipping. It may be a slight workaround but to those saying “incorrect” and “that’s not how it flies” is actually not “incorrect”. Rather enlighten us with your wisdom if you wish to contradict.  🙂

Speed doesnt seem to do much to fix the issue. I can add 10 knots to my vref speed and the thing would still dip on one wing. Also, I can add 10 knots to my vr speed and she still doesnt want to fly properly. Have to force her up with plenty of back pressure on the stick. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

56 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

The retard call is only an ‘instruction’ during an autoland. The thrust levers can be closed whenever you like during a manual landing. On a 320/319 that’s often just as you start the flare, unless you have some big sink or something. On the 321 you do it a little later. 

At any Vapp you’ve got ages before you’d get anywhere near the stall or wing drop during the flare. You’d be dragging the tail along the ground before that happened. 

Edited by 2reds2whites

The mod had lowered the lift coefficient with flaps down. This change has been reverted in the latest master version due to its poor low speed performance. Try the new master version, not the stable version.

I already enlightened you about 5 posts above. I wouldn't call 10 kts extra on approach a 'slight' workaround. The plane would float too much.

Tony Fontaine