Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Marble Machine (music instrument using 2000 marbles

A favorite of mine and a story.

In the port authority bus terminal for years there stood a Rube Goldberg machine that attracted teenaged me like a moth to a flame. When in the area, I almost always stopped by just to gape at it as I reimagined it dozens of different ways in my head, how I might change it, wondering if my changes could actually work.

That pleasant hum when you do complex math, or put your whole mind to a task that requires total concentration.

I imagine this gents mind must hum similarly, with the added satisfaction of a craftsman and musician who has actually managed to make his dreams come true.

Lucky (and creative) guy!

• Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Cool!!!!!!! He combined old tech to create something contemporary.He can change the trip dog  configurations, and  compose a new tune on the main wheels.Old carousel organs,and barrel  organs are somewhat set up the same way.

Edited by Paul Deluca
  • Like 1

Perhaps the world's largest music box... 

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

Perhaps the world's largest music box... 

The original sculpture/machine that caught my attention as a kid: Sparked a lifelong fascination with complicated gadgets! 🎶

People watching George Rhoads' rolling ball sculpture 42nd Street Ballroom (1983) in the North Wing of the Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan, New York City

GmgL07.jpg

(The little kid you see here in the video gaping is my spiritual stand-in)

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Around ten years ago I recall watching a video of another "ball bearing driven music machine" but I cannot find it now. What made this one unique was that the ball bearings were launched from pneumatic tubes so precisely that they would reliably hit their targets. In action it looked like a giant popcorn machine with ball bearings shooting all over the place! 😍

Here is the new "X" model completed -- or at least until Martin decides to change it again! After all, take a look at how many ball bearings 'miss their targets and land on the floor!

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2019/04/marble-machine-x/

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think he lost a few marbles towards the end 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane