Sign in to follow this  
AndyCYXU

De-icing on C172 ?

Is there de-icing on Cessna 172 and if so where, or is this one not meant to fly in the clouds?

I only found cabin heat and pitot heat, nothing to defrost my frozen windows.. but again maybe that one is not meant for flying in the clouds..

Thanks

5 minutes ago, AndyCYXU said:

Is there de-icing on Cessna 172 and if so where, or is this one not meant to fly in the clouds?

I only found cabin heat and pitot heat, nothing to defrost my frozen windows.. but again maybe that one is not meant for flying in the clouds..

Thanks

No

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Cessna 172’s are not made with a de-icing system in real life. I’ve had my PPL for 7 years and flown almost 500 hours in them.  Only de-icing is to not fly through clouds above the freezing level.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jspilot said:

Cessna 172’s are not made with a de-icing system in real life. I’ve had my PPL for 7 years and flown almost 500 hours in them.  Only de-icing is to not fly through clouds above the freezing level.  

Thanks that's what i though, but i figure i better check 🙂

Only anti icing: pito heat, and carb heat for older models of 172

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, AndyCYXU said:

Thanks that's what i though, but i figure i better check 🙂

VFR in a 172 you are risking a "please explain" from the relative aviation authority if you go anywhere near a cloud.  Cloud is verboten in VFR .  Like scud running below 500'  it will get your fingers smacked or worse.

IFR, the ATC, in theory, should hopefully route you around clouds with a METAR warning for ice if your in a 172, though I doubt the ATC in game does that.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

I've done my share of flying through the clouds too many times in my virtual 172.  Let's just say I've learned to keep below them when the temps are at or near freezing.  Turning the pitot heat on only seems to slow the inevitable icing which can only be resolved by dropping below the clouds and waiting it out (and possibly having to hand fly due to the autopilot going on a murderous rampage - hehehe).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyCYXU said:

Thanks

Not certified for flight into known icing, my friend. The only deicing on a 172 is the pitot tube and the windshield. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Little Jenny said:

I've done my share of flying through the clouds too many times in my virtual 172.  Let's just say I've learned to keep below them when the temps are at or near freezing.  Turning the pitot heat on only seems to slow the inevitable icing which can only be resolved by dropping below the clouds and waiting it out (and possibly having to hand fly due to the autopilot going on a murderous rampage - hehehe).

The other exit strategy is climb out,  but at the rate a 172 climbs when above 10,000 feet you may end up accumulating enough ice to sink the Titanic all over again before you get out.

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

VFR in a 172 you are risking a "please explain" from the relative aviation authority if you go anywhere near a cloud.  Cloud is verboten in VFR .  Like scud running below 500'  it will get your fingers smacked or worse.

IFR, the ATC, in theory, should hopefully route you around clouds with a METAR warning for ice if your in a 172, though I doubt the ATC in game does that.

Yes in fact I was flying IFR with the 172 which is IFR equipt and ready, except for the de icing equipment, and No ATC in the game will not guide you around the clouds lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The other exit strategy is climb out,  but at the rate a 172 climbs when above 10,000 feet you may end up accumulating enough ice to sink the Titanic all over again before you get out.

What I ended up doing was going
Below the clouds as soon as I saw the ice start to accumulate, but back to original question yeah I thought there was some kind of de icing system but obviously not, and the Heat Knob on the right is just for cab heat I was hoping it was a difroster for the window at least but nope.

Just to clarify- the pitot heat will not help one bit with structural icing.  All it will do is keep the pitot tube from clogging with ice thus taking away your airspeed indicator.  Someone mentioned carb heat also and while that will technically prevent ice from building up in the carb it does not do anything with structural icing.  In fact, if you are flying a 172 with carb heat you are taught to apply that when descending during any flight once you drop the RPM’s below green arc as carb ice can form at temps anywhere ranging from 20 degrees upwards to like 70 degrees according to my former instructor.

Just thought some clarification would help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyCYXU said:

What I ended up doing was going
Below the clouds as soon as I saw the ice start to accumulate, but back to original question yeah I thought there was some kind of de icing system but obviously not, and the Heat Knob on the right is just for cab heat I was hoping it was a difroster for the window at least but nope.

That heat knob is for cabin heat.  That system works by sucking some air from the engine compartment and pumping that back into the cabin.  In real life you really have to be careful using cabin heat in a 152 or 172 to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.  That’s why most single engine piston planes that rely on this system for heating have a CO2 indicator stuck on a window somewhere to notify if the CO2 levels rise within the cabin.

14 minutes ago, jspilot said:

Just to clarify- the pitot heat will not help one bit with structural icing.  All it will do is keep the pitot tube from clogging with ice thus taking away your airspeed indicator.  Someone mentioned carb heat also and while that will technically prevent ice from building up in the carb it does not do anything with structural icing.  In fact, if you are flying a 172 with carb heat you are taught to apply that when descending during any flight once you drop the RPM’s below green arc as carb ice can form at temps anywhere ranging from 20 degrees upwards to like 70 degrees according to my former instructor.

Just thought some clarification would help.

Before it gets messy. There are two type of equipment anti-icing and de-icing. Anti-icing is turned on before icing condition as preventive measure. While de-icing is turned to remove icing that start forming.

Among icing there are types  induction and structural. Carb heat is to prevent induction icing

Pito heat, prop heat, windshield heat are anti-icing equipment 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI