Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Has anyone tried Oculus Quest II with wireless setup ?

I am considering getting into VR mainly for flightsimming. I have read that it should be possible to use OQII with a PC and with a wireless connection. Have you tried this ? If so does it work well ?

Advantages ? Disadvantages ?

Hey jfri

Yeah I have tried it. If you have the right setup it works as reliably as cable using the standard Virtual Desktop hook into SteamVR and from there P3D. I own a Reverb G1, Rift CV1 and an Oculus Quest 2 so have good grounds for comparison. The Quest 2 on wireless produces a very good lock at 1/2 72Hz 36FPS in P3D 5.1 HF1. Very smooth and almost as smooth as cable so long as you are on a good 5G router no issues the Virtual Desktop method of going wireless has really matured and there are some good options for making adjustments (more than on cable). You can set the frames up to 90Hz with 120Hz coming but there is no point in doing that with P3D. 72Hz or 80Hz is fine (why stress the system for nothing?)

Only downside is that even at maximum wireless bitrate, the overall image quality is not as good as the Reverb because of some compression bi-products going wireless. Also the color dynamics of the Quest 2 are not as good as the Reverb. The Quest 2 is definitely a cheaper display but good enough. Also the contrast range is not as good. I'd put the image quality as sharper and better than the CV1 maybe comparable to the Rift-S, very readable just not the "blow me away" image quality that you get on the Reverb. With wireless at only 5GHz there has to be some cost when really it needs to be at 60GHz. However if you plug it into the PC with a cable, image quality improves.

Another downside is that there is a fair bit of work to get it to happen with probably 2-3 hours of work. You have to be good at following instructions. Also it needs a good VR ready PC and a good quality 5G/6G router.

But on the other hand being completely wireless is "blow me away" stuff. I run P3D on an XBOX Elite 2 wireless Bluetooth controller configured using the top notch ReWASD mapping software for rudder/aileron/elevator on the sticks and so am completely untethered from the computer - zero wires. Sound out of the Quest 2 is good enough but there is a sound jack to run quality headphones. I'm using noise cancelling headphones Bose 700 on a Mod Mic wireless boom which works really well. Unfortunately Bluetooth 5 wireless is unable to run both wireless headphones and wireless Elite II controller at the same time because it causes disconnects in the Elite II.

The Quest 2 is a stunning piece of engineering no question. The Oculus software has really come of age now and the tracking is superb for inside out. I'd say it is 90% the tracking volume and accuracy of an outside-in setup on three light houses. The versatility of the headset is unbelievable. You can do things like sit down on the couch and use the computer on the equivalent of wall size screen in VR. All in all a cool experience going completely wireless. You can even run the sim from another room if your 5G router is good enough.

Just bear in mind that VR especially Quest 2 is overall a big problem for privacy and mind control because of Facebook.

Anyway here is the setup:

Laptop Omen 17 9880H 16 core overclocked to 4.1 GHz 2080 onboard GPU 32 GRAM on Oculus Quest 2 on a 5G router wireless Sidequest load SteamVR and Virtual Desktop.

Graphics settings:

Virtual desktop: 72Hz high quality 125MBs bitrate stream video buffering

SteamVR: 150% super sampling

P3D: 36fps internal lock medium/high settings 1024 textures 4MSAA

All from memory so might have forgotton some details.

Cheers

Edited by glider1

On 12/1/2020 at 7:48 AM, glider1 said:

Hey jfri

Yeah I have tried it. If you have the right setup it works as reliably as cable using the standard Virtual Desktop hook into SteamVR and from there P3D. I own a Reverb G1, Rift CV1 and an Oculus Quest 2 so have good grounds for comparison. The Quest 2 on wireless produces a very good lock at 1/2 72Hz 36FPS in P3D 5.1 HF1. Very smooth and almost as smooth as cable so long as you are on a good 5G router no issues the Virtual Desktop method of going wireless has really matured

I don't know if I have a 5G router. Is a router that have 5 Ghz band a 5G router ? If so then it seem I have it.

7 hours ago, jfri said:

I don't know if I have a 5G router. Is a router that have 5 Ghz band a 5G router ? If so then it seem I have it.

5G router quality varies a lot. It isn't just that it is 5GHz but fast routers also have microprocessors inside to efficiently process the data packets. The easiest way to tell is to use Virtual Desktop which can show you statistics about your connection speed and latency.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:48 AM, glider1 said:

Hey jfri

Yeah I have tried it. If you have the right setup it works as reliably as cable using the standard Virtual Desktop hook into SteamVR and from there P3D. I own a Reverb G1, Rift CV1 and an Oculus Quest 2 so have good grounds for comparison. The Quest 2 on wireless produces a very good lock at 1/2 72Hz 36FPS in P3D 5.1 HF1. Very smooth and almost as smooth as cable so long as you are on a good 5G router no issues the Virtual Desktop method of going wireless has really matured and there are some good options for making adjustments (more than on cable). You can set the frames up to 90Hz with 120Hz coming but there is no point in doing that with P3D. 72Hz or 80Hz is fine (why stress the system for nothing?)

Only downside is that even at maximum wireless bitrate, the overall image quality is not as good as the Reverb because of some compression bi-products going wireless. Also the color dynamics of the Quest 2 are not as good as the Reverb. The Quest 2 is definitely a cheaper display but good enough. Also the contrast range is not as good. I'd put the image quality as sharper and better than the CV1 maybe comparable to the Rift-S, very readable just not the "blow me away" image quality that you get on the Reverb. With wireless at only 5GHz there has to be some cost when really it needs to be at 60GHz. However if you plug it into the PC with a cable, image quality improves.

As I understand it there will lower quality image with Q2 compared to a cable based headset even if the router is sufficiently good.
(I have spoken to my internet supplier and he says I have a 5G router since it have 5 Ghz and he don't think there should be a problem using a Q2 with it)
(connecting the Q2 with cable is not an option for me since my video card don't have an USB C port)

How does the compression artifacts manifest them and overall how is the image lower quality. Is it glaring ? For example in some reviews of the HP G2 Reverb (an alternative considered) it is said that you don't need to lean forward to see the instruments which is the case with other headsets. Is this the case with Q2 ?

I have had no luck using the wireless virtual desktop with the occulus,

When I go into the VR mode in game, the headset doesn't go into the VR environment. I see the split screen in the lens and monitor....

MSFS works fine (better) than wired, I made a post yesterday about it here.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

18 hours ago, jfri said:

As I understand it there will lower quality image with Q2 compared to a cable based headset even if the router is sufficiently good.
(I have spoken to my internet supplier and he says I have a 5G router since it have 5 Ghz and he don't think there should be a problem using a Q2 with it)
(connecting the Q2 with cable is not an option for me since my video card don't have an USB C port)

How does the compression artifacts manifest them and overall how is the image lower quality. Is it glaring ? For example in some reviews of the HP G2 Reverb (an alternative considered) it is said that you don't need to lean forward to see the instruments which is the case with other headsets. Is this the case with Q2 ?

The compression over wireless degrades quality a bit depending on how good your router is. You may have 5G but that doesn't necessarily make it a good router. A good router has extra dedicated processing. People on wireless gaming tend to go for dedicated routers and the developer of Virtual Desktop that makes this all possible has said this himself. But if you are getting it to work good!

The image quality on a Quest-2 over a dedicated quality wifi5- or 6 router is much better than Oculus CV1 comparable with a Rift-S but not as good as a Reverb. Instruments in GA aircraft are readable. You have to lean forward a bit to read the really small text. All depends on how good your GPU is too.

Edited by glider1

17 hours ago, aceridgey said:

I have had no luck using the wireless virtual desktop with the occulus,

When I go into the VR mode in game, the headset doesn't go into the VR environment. I see the split screen in the lens and monitor....

MSFS works fine (better) than wired, I made a post yesterday about it here.

I had the same problem P3D doesn't switch over automatically to VR on wireless.

Assuming you have got Virtual Desktop working and are playing other games wirelessly on the quest-2

• make sure SteamVR is already running
  • start P3D
  • enable SteamVR in the menu when in the cockpit on the 2D desktop screen
  • short click the button on the left controller for the Quest-2 that has the three lines stamped on it. This will bring up the Virtual desktop menu
  • select switch to VR in virtual desktop then it will cause P3D to switch to full virtual reality
Edited by glider1

10 hours ago, glider1 said:

The compression over wireless degrades quality a bit depending on how good your router is. You may have 5G but that doesn't necessarily make it a good router. A good router has extra dedicated processing. People on wireless gaming tend to go for dedicated routers and the developer of Virtual Desktop that makes this all possible has said this himself. But if you are getting it to work good!

The image quality on a Quest-2 over a dedicated quality wifi5- or 6 router is much better than Oculus CV1 comparable with a Rift-S but not as good as a Reverb. Instruments in GA aircraft are readable. You have to lean forward a bit to read the really small text. All depends on how good your GPU is too.

Buying a new router is not an option for me. It seem likely that the Q2 is not a good choice for me. And the HP Reverb 2 might have problem with my system.

19 hours ago, jfri said:

Buying a new router is not an option for me. It seem likely that the Q2 is not a good choice for me. And the HP Reverb 2 might have problem with my system.

Just curious, why not just use the Link cable? For a cockpit sim where you're sitting down the cable shouldn't be much of a bother.

2 hours ago, andreh said:

Just curious, why not just use the Link cable? For a cockpit sim where you're sitting down the cable shouldn't be much of a bother.

Connecting the Q2 with cable is not an option for me since my video card don't have an USB C port

13 minutes ago, andreh said:

Your link suggests that you could use a USB C port on your motherboard. This is contrary to what a reseller has told me that is a dedicated link USB C port on the video card is required. Also from a link within your link I find this statement
'In fact, the cord that comes with the Oculus Quest isn’t compatible with Oculus Link as it only supports USB 2.0 data rates.'
So at any rate you would need to buy a new cable which is very expensive from what I have heard

I was under the impression from various youtubers that any USB would work. It doesn't have to be on the gpu or even type c, even though the specs say that. You can always experiment and try. It won't hurt.

Alas, I don't have the quest myself, so I can't verify it.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:59 PM, andreh said:

Yes it seem after some further research that you could use an USB port on the motherboard with Oculus link cable and a USB c to USB A adapter which therefore could be an option for me. But I react to the very high price for such items. Also you link report that wireless works as well a cable. That I find somewhat strange.

Another question is a cable based VR set that uses a Display Port connection better than one that uses USB like the Quest 2 ?