Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Has anyone tried Oculus Quest II with wireless setup ?

13 hours ago, jfri said:

Yes it seem after some further research that you could use an USB port on the motherboard with Oculus link cable and a USB c to USB A adapter which therefore could be an option for me. But I react to the very high price for such items. Also you link report that wireless works as well a cable. That I find somewhat strange.

Another question is a cable based VR set that uses a Display Port connection better than one that uses USB like the Quest 2 ?

I don't the answer to to these questions, I'm afraid. I hope you find a solution.

The TNE 10 link cable is $15USD and works fine Usb 3 to usb C on the Q2. Get it from Amazon

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Just reawakening this topic as the full Virtual Desktop app is now available from Oculus and doesn't need sideloading, so I took the plunge...

Still a bit hit and miss getting wireless to work, but when it does there are some BIG benefits
1, no cable getting caught or wrapping around the joystick cable - this I was expecting.
2, performance in Xplane and P3D about the same as with cable, without any tuning yet - this I hoped for.
Cockpit graphics good, scenery maybe less good without tuning.
3, I did a complete glider flight in XPlane - aerotow, release, thermalling , aerobatics, circuit and landing whilst lying downstairs on the sofa 🙂 ... admittedly without rudder so the landing was ropey but...cool!
I accidentally opened the canopy once...and could have stood up and bailed out!

4, and this was a big surprise - hand tracking works! I can hold the stick and fly just using my right hand, using left hand to release/brake. The controllers are all on the desk. For some reason this only worked sitting at the PC and was a bit flakey, it's easy for hand and stick to disconnect which is disconcerting but can only get better.

Anyone else tried it, got any tips?

17 hours ago, keithb77 said:

Just reawakening this topic as the full Virtual Desktop app is now available from Oculus and doesn't need sideloading, so I took the plunge...

Still a bit hit and miss getting wireless to work, but when it does there are some BIG benefits
1, no cable getting caught or wrapping around the joystick cable - this I was expecting.
2, performance in Xplane and P3D about the same as with cable, without any tuning yet - this I hoped for.
Cockpit graphics good, scenery maybe less good without tuning.
3, I did a complete glider flight in XPlane - aerotow, release, thermalling , aerobatics, circuit and landing whilst lying downstairs on the sofa 🙂 ... admittedly without rudder so the landing was ropey but...cool!
I accidentally opened the canopy once...and could have stood up and bailed out!

4, and this was a big surprise - hand tracking works! I can hold the stick and fly just using my right hand, using left hand to release/brake. The controllers are all on the desk. For some reason this only worked sitting at the PC and was a bit flakey, it's easy for hand and stick to disconnect which is disconcerting but can only get better.

Anyone else tried it, got any tips?

Since I started this thread I have got the HP Reverb G2 which I have tried out during the latest days. I still do have the option to return it and get the Quest II.
But would I really like it better ?
My impression from the G2. The immersion of being in 3D is incredible. Just like sitting in the plane as when I did it in real life (have a tour and a trial fly lesson in Cessna and Piper Archer III).
But there is a slight tendency of shimmer and the view is a bit fussy at the sides (small sweetspot) but inside cockpit it's good. But outside the plane much more shimmer and fussy image with stutter. And then I have selected pre set VR settings (MSFS DCS).
Can this problem be less pronounced in Q2 ? On one hand the Q2 has lower resolution which might help for performance, but on the other hand the cable connection of the G2 should be more effective then Q2 wireless connection. Also a lower resolution of course must be some degradation in sharpness.
And it was interesting that you wrote that performance in wireless is as good as with cable. This would make the Q2 alternative less expensive if you don't need an expensive cable.

Today performance has tanked...don't know why.
Wireless seems very variable, I would suggest regarding it as a bonus rather than rely on it.
But you only need a cheap cable from Amazon, mine was £24, a quarter of the price of the Oculus fibre-optic.
And you only need a 64GB Quest 2 for simming, saves another £100.
But my understanding is that the G2 is better - I get shimmer too.

I get much smoother experience using Virtual Desktop Steamer over the link cable.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Quest 2  here as well. I've not tried wireless yet. But the via wired. It works well for my set-up (see signature).

I now have a Leap Motion controller coming that I will set up.

As for what cable I use...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L98BKV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU