Sign in to follow this  
flying_w

Update 1.10.7.0 Performance Loss - Render Thread

27 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Do you perhaps have any of the Google based mods in Cape Town Scenery - the city buildings, stadium, cable car etc etc? There is a lot of Google derived scenery add-on's for Cape Town as found on the flightsim (dot) to website. If you have these, start by removing every single one of them from your Community folder and see if that helps.

No, all addons were disabled to rule that out before applying the update.  I don't have any of those mods installed that change the internal files of the simulator either, so it must be something else.  While I'm sorry to hear of other problems, it's clear that the problem is not unqiue to me.

FPS test, before patch and done on every patch.

EGNX Runway 27 with my setting 70

Same test after patch 69-72

I Don't use anything but Nvidia driver nothing else and only have in NCP power set to performance and textures set to performance. If you install G-force etc GL to you.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, HighTowers said:

Folks are going to have to find a compromise and live with it.   The last few updates people were complaining of little AA and poor water masking, clear skies when it should be overcast.    Now alot of this is fixed.   Dont think for one sec those improvements are not at the cost of some performance hit.   Flight simulation has always been like this for eons.   And to be honest those specs listed above are not really that high end.  They will certainly do, but relative to some other hardware, they are not going to keep up with doing great AA , with all the fantastic lighting, heavy overcast, reflections, shadows, and water simulation all with high quality.   And to say it was working fine before in earlier builds, doesnt hold water since features and improvements keep getting fixed and or added.  Sure optimizations will come some more, because CPU is not being used to its best capability, and that needs some work, but for the most part, we have to always live with some compromises.   

I agree with you there's no free lunch, if you want new functions and improvements they come at some performance cost.  But no way should it be as much as 66% in my case.  If Asobo come out and say that's how it is that's different, but I don't recall any expectations being set in that regard. And before the update, my modest machine worked great with all the features you describe.  I can turn everything low, and still performance suffers in a way it did not before the update.

Something more has changed, I look forward to understanding what it is.

10 minutes ago, flying_w said:

I agree with you there's no free lunch, if you want new functions and improvements they come at some performance cost.  But no way should it be as much as 66% in my case.  If Asobo come out and say that's how it is that's different, but I don't recall any expectations being set in that regard. And before the update, my modest machine worked great with all the features you describe.  I can turn everything low, and still performance suffers in a way it did not before the update.

Something more has changed, I look forward to understanding what it is.

Keywords "in my case".

Sorry to hear, but if that was truly the case we would have a 35 page topic by now on it.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I do feel sorry for people with this issue, but likewise, my FPS is still in the same area.  Mainly high settings, 1440 at 120% scaling with a 1080Ti.

I lock it to 30 fps normally, but when unlocked I am getting on average 33-38 fps with light clouds and over a medium sized city (Birmingham UK).
This is about the same for me, or at most 1 or 2 FPS lower.  It says 'limited by GPU' which is normal.

There must be some config/driver/set-up issue here because as Nyxx says, not everyone is registering a problem, in fact most don't.

The important thing is to find it for the ones suffering from the problem.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I also see a performance drop running the sim at 4K on my ancient GTX1070. Before the patch, I could use 80% render scaling + TAA and had 30fps in most scenarios (I'm on a 30 Hz TV so no need for more fps). After the patch, I have to turn down render scaling to 70% to get the same performance. BUT: The ground looks MUCH better than before. Most likely because TAA is now working correctly which it didn't before. That's were the performance drop comes from. But hey, there is no free lunch. And hopefully, I can get a grip on one of those RX6800XT GPUs soon...

• Like 2

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Correct, this does not affect everyone, maybe not many and I'm glad to read of the positive experiences others are having with the update.

I sincerely hope what I say does not come across wrong, I've enjoyed MSFS since day 1 and still think it's a great sim and a place I want to be.  When problems occur I'd like to understand them and fix them if that can be done, but no way do I want to give up on it.  I'll raise a ZenDesk ticket and see how it plays out.

I did seem to lose a chunk of performance upon first starting a flight from my usual test airport, down to around 40fps from my normal 50fps, but after around 30 mins of flying and restarting the flight frame rates were back to 50fps. Maybe some caching going on upon first run that settles when given time. I was also using the new nv driver for the first time with the sim, after nuking the old set, so maybe shader rebuilding in the equation as well.

11 minutes ago, flying_w said:

Correct, this does not affect everyone, maybe not many and I'm glad to read of the positive experiences others are having with the update.

I sincerely hope what I say does not come across wrong, I've enjoyed MSFS since day 1 and still think it's a great sim and a place I want to be.  When problems occur I'd like to understand them and fix them if that can be done, but no way do I want to give up on it.  I'll raise a ZenDesk ticket and see how it plays out.

Try this.

Go there https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Start windows in safe mode and run the cleaner.

Only install Driver not GFX or whatever its call. Just Drivers only ( custom install option )

GL.

For me it was turning off FXAA in NVidia and using TAA (while limiting frame rates to 31)....Now my performance is the best its been since I bought MSFS....of course until the next update..... 

I have an AMD 3900X and a GeForce RTX 3080 and since the patch I am now constantly CPU limited and am getting much worse frame rates as well. I haven't been able to figure out what if any settings affect it. I tried disabling all traffic, multiplayer, all ground vehicles, and dropping LOD settings but no avail. Frame rate seems very inconsistent with it being 70 fps GPU limited for a few seconds and then 40 FPS CPU limited.

1 hour ago, marcg11 said:

For me it was turning off FXAA in NVidia and using TAA (while limiting frame rates to 31)....Now my performance is the best its been since I bought MSFS....of course until the next update..... 

Despite working at home like many do these days, I've not been able to get in front of the simulator until now.  First thing I tried was FXAA, and yes indeed IT WAS set in the NCP explicility for MSFS.  Boy did that make a difference, my RdrThread is back below 10ms for the most part with occasional spikes, which is nothing in the overall scheme of things.  My FPS is back to my 30 lock point, and everything is smooth again.  I'd have to echo the thoughts of @marcg11 and others, performance and image quality appear to be the best yet, and subjectively there seems to be a much greater radius of buildings than before.

So a rational explanation to my problems, and with the helpful experiences of others I just needed to find it.  Nothing to do with my "computer being not exactly the latest spec" or "this is the way it is with an update, get used to it".

Thanks all!

Simon

• Upvote 1

I do not understand what might happen to some of you as I get more fps as before.
I did not change any settings. Loading time is a bit faster, everything is a bit faster.

Really happy with this update.
I understand some of you are not happy.

As I wrote, I do not use any third app system settings, I have never reinstalled Fs 2020. I know my windows Os is clean (chkdsk ,sfc /scannow, defrag = ssd trim, cleanmgr)
I'm using W10 2009 20H2 19042.572. My nvme disks are new, drivers are up to date. For sure, most of you already  checked above maintenance tips. Your problems are elsewhere !
I do believe someone will help you here !

People without problems do not post messages. I do not know how many of us have problems (percentage should be low)

Edited by ctdlg

All's well here too--if anything performance might have improved.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X