Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Constantly getting wrong runway assigned

Last night, wind 110 at 20 knots, I got assigned runway 28 (exactly, perfectly the wrong runway), and this even though I had put in the approach in the world map flight planner prior to launching the flight. I just landed runway 10 anyway, but it seems I get assigned the wrong runway at least two times out of 3. 

You should be able to pick which runway you are assigned to.

Wind direction on automatically picked runway start always catches me. When will I learn. I see the wind direction and speed and I continually hit the fly button without considering the end of the runway that program puts me at. If I pick a parking spot, then things are fine. Us hard headed people will always have to drive to the other end of runway. I guess.

Edited by jimcarrel
  • Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I’ve noticed this a lot too, I’ve also noticed a lot of windsocks seem to be blowing 180 degrees from where they should be.  I wonder if there’s a connection?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Egg on my face too...

I usually set active weather and then the Fly button. And it seems, without fail, I'm placed at the wrong end of the runway. A bug, I guess.

And since were here, talking about wind direction; I wonder why they have the wind arrow, in the weather settings dialog, pointing in the wrong direction? At least to my way of thinking. This is also true with DCS. When pointed out to the DCS developers, they replied that's the way we do it and it's too late now at any rate. To be clear, in DCS, the arrow points to where the wind is coming from, not where it's going. That seems bass-ackwards to me.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

How can we know what's wrong.  In my G1000, the PFD shows the wind 180 degrees off compared to the indicator on the MFD.  What is correct?

Someone else says the wind sock is blowing the opposite direction?  Is it the windsock that's wrong or the avionics indicator or the ATIS or what?

Maybe ATC is assigning you the right runway but the wind indicator is 180 degrees out?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Good questions, I wish there was an in game option (or a mod failing that) that will just give a read out of current weather conditions.  I find myself guessing as well as to what is actually true in the sim weather.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

In the last asobo Q&A they talked about this a bit. It seems the airports actually get METAR based data, and when in the air away from the airport, you get the model-based weather with upper level winds etc. 

Its possible the 2 get out of synch, and/or perhaps the sim is generating its runway selection based on the model data and not the METAR. 

If the METAR is old etc, obviously that could cause this kind of scenario. 

4 hours ago, RichieFly said:

To be clear, in DCS, the arrow points to where the wind is coming from, not where it's going. That seems bass-ackwards to me.

It is. Wind of 270 is from 270 (the west) and the arrow should point east. If that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

Good questions, I wish there was an in game option (or a mod failing that) that will just give a read out of current weather conditions.  I find myself guessing as well as to what is actually true in the sim weather.

You can see it in the world map if you zoom in to your departure and destination. It's wrong, but you can see it! 

5 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Egg on my face too...

I usually set active weather and then the Fly button. And it seems, without fail, I'm placed at the wrong end of the runway. A bug, I guess.

And since were here, talking about wind direction; I wonder why they have the wind arrow, in the weather settings dialog, pointing in the wrong direction? At least to my way of thinking. This is also true with DCS. When pointed out to the DCS developers, they replied that's the way we do it and it's too late now at any rate. To be clear, in DCS, the arrow points to where the wind is coming from, not where it's going. That seems bass-ackwards to me.

Yea, DCS always has been a sore spot concerning wind direction and it's presentation on the map, But again, that's me not learning different locals depicting it different on a map  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's