Sign in to follow this  
Bottle

NVidia control panel changes = +10 fps

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it has for me and blew my mind. I tend to use KORS (with Orbx scenery) as my base and run the NVidia FPS monitor so have got a good feel for how the sim runs. As everyone, I've been tweaking the in-game settings and arrived at High plus a few settings at Ultra as a compromise. I should say I'm using a 1070 overclocked card, 32 Gb of system RAM and a stock-speed i7-6700 CPU.

The latest updated really messed up the clouds for me for some reason (looked more like Minecraft than clouds). So I messed with more settings, rebooted, etc. but nothing worked. I then decided to go through the NVidia control panel settings one by one and landed on the YouTube video for guidance (see below). I followed everything he recommends except the 2080-specific settings that my card doesn't show and since I have everything on NVMe SSDs, I disabled the shader cache. There are settings in this video I wouldn't have normally bothered with, but I set them in any case.

Start up the sim in the same familiar place and plane (TBM) and OMG, the image quality is better, the clouds are fixed (though still a little pixilated for my liking), but most of all, where I would normally be on 30 fps on the runway, I'm now solidly on 40 fps! I don't have the time or inclination to test which setting(s) made the difference, but I suspect setting the PhysX to the GPU instead of the CPU and some other explicit setting to the GPU may have done it.

As they say, it's worth a try!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bottle said:

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it has for me and blew my mind. I tend to use KORS (with Orbx scenery) as my base and run the NVidia FPS monitor so have got a good feel for how the sim runs. As everyone, I've been tweaking the in-game settings and arrived at High plus a few settings at Ultra as a compromise. I should say I'm using a 1070 overclocked card, 32 Gb of system RAM and a stock-speed i7-6700 CPU.

The latest updated really messed up the clouds for me for some reason (looked more like Minecraft than clouds). So I messed with more settings, rebooted, etc. but nothing worked. I then decided to go through the NVidia control panel settings one by one and landed on the YouTube video for guidance (see below). I followed everything he recommends except the 2080-specific settings that my card doesn't show and since I have everything on NVMe SSDs, I disabled the shader cache. There are settings in this video I wouldn't have normally bothered with, but I set them in any case.

Start up the sim in the same familiar place and plane (TBM) and OMG, the image quality is better, the clouds are fixed (though still a little pixilated for my liking), but most of all, where I would normally be on 30 fps on the runway, I'm now solidly on 40 fps! I don't have the time or inclination to test which setting(s) made the difference, but I suspect setting the PhysX to the GPU instead of the CPU and some other explicit setting to the GPU may have done it.

As they say, it's worth a try!

Interesting. Im gonna go throught it and see the differrence

I don't know what monitor he has, but adding Sharpening and Digital Vibrance of 80!!! sounds very weird.

For me sharpening just adds a lot of noise, and Vibrance makes the image look artificial.

• Like 3

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

For MSFS we would need the opposite, less contrast and less saturation to become closer to reality.
I wish nVidia would allow to tweak shaders per application without the need to install Geforce Experience

• Like 1

This is really excellent in general, but remember it is generic.  Some of his settings aren't the best for MSFS.

As mentioned, the sharpening isn't needed, as MSFS is already over-sharpened a bit, and also, I set mine to 10 bit colour, not 8, as I find the clouds are a bit less pixelated around the edges in some circumstances.

Also, for MSFS, most settings should be application controlled and shouldn't be over-riden by the NVidia control panel.

Gamma Correction is one setting I leave on though, otherwise MSFS can look a bit washed out.

I would say that this isn't 'snake oil' though like some people on the internet.  With one guide recently, virtually every setting was wrong for an MSFS set-up, and I was left wondering if it was a joke!

At least this guy is genuinely doing his best and means well, and for a generic setup, it is pretty good advice - a good baseline to work off.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thank you for sharing this video!

These general recommendations are good overall, but you can further push the NVidia CPL specifically for FS2020 (as a matter of fact not just FS2020 from my experience) with a few more changes:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-4k-settings-and-suggestions-episode-2/272854

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Yes, good video.

Unfortunately, the guy didn't speak fast enough for me.

Stu

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

9 minutes ago, RXP said:

These general recommendations are good overall, but you can further push the NVidia CPL specifically for FS2020 (as a matter of fact not just FS2020 from my experience) with a few more changes:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-4k-settings-and-suggestions-episode-2/272854

Interesting read!  I like the way he is swapping the MSFS sharpening for the Nvidia one there, as that was a main concern of the other video - too much sharpening. 

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, Bunchy said:

Yes, good video.

Unfortunately, the guy didn't speak fast enough for me.

Stu

😄  I am wondering if he accelerated it after recording it actually, so that it didn't go on for too long.  If that is the case, more should do it I think! 👍

Indeed it would my Brummy friend

• Like 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll investigate the link and advice given. Maybe there's more I can squeeze out.

True, I didn't play with the digital vibrancy either and I also have 10 bit colour set because my monitor can handle it.

Maybe I had a really bad setting and all this did was clear it, but I definitely got a stable 10 fps increase on average. Something in there seemed to have done some magic for me. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Interesting read!  I like the way he is swapping the MSFS sharpening for the Nvidia one there, as that was a main concern of the other video - too much sharpening. 

Yes. That was very interesting. I made that change in the .opt file, but I did not turn on the Sharpening in NCP. I like the result.

Edited by espent

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

So, from what setting in NCP exactly are those "10FPS"derived from. Certainly not from the sharpening. I smell snake oil.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

37 minutes ago, Bottle said:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll investigate the link and advice given. Maybe there's more I can squeeze out.

True, I didn't play with the digital vibrancy either and I also have 10 bit colour set because my monitor can handle it.

Maybe I had a really bad setting and all this did was clear it, but I definitely got a stable 10 fps increase on average. Something in there seemed to have done some magic for me. 

Sometimes, just clearing it all down to 'off' or 'application controlled' can 'optimise' it a bit - it stops both the Nvidia Control Panel and MSFS going after the same thing.

+10 fps is a really good improvement though.  It makes me wonder if there is any perceivable quality loss; if not, then all good! 👍

• Like 1

I'm trying these suggestions now.

First thing I noticed too, with render scaling in sim at 100% and image sharpening on in NVCP, then the sim is over sharp, to me at least.

Will turn sharpening off on my second test flight.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1