Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

Seasonal Tree Colors

13 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

Thanks for the comments. Asobo did a really great job with snow and I find winter in MSFS to be beautiful. 

How are you getting snow/winter textures on the ground?  I tried a flight out of Minnesota's Flying Cloud airport setting the month to January and there's no snow on the ground.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

10 minutes ago, Dillon said:

How are you getting snow/winter textures on the ground?  I tried a flight out of Minnesota's Flying Cloud airport setting the month to January and there's no snow on the ground.

I was using the MSFS Weather preset of Snow. So open the Weather dialog box and click the dropdown at the top and you will see the selections for Live Weather, Clear Skies, Few Clouds, Scattered Clouds, etc. Towards the bottom is a selection for Snow. Click that and you will see snow. For me I usually adjust the cloud position as the default gives me very limited visibility. Let me know if that works for you. 

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

14 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Weather menu. Snow layer slider. Super easy. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Wow, I just came across this thread. I am very frequently reminded of the generous and talented people in this community and this is a sterling example of this. Mike and Rob, thank you for your creativity and generosity!

Rick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

I was using the MSFS Weather preset of Snow. So open the Weather dialog box and click the dropdown at the top and you will see the selections for Live Weather, Clear Skies, Few Clouds, Scattered Clouds, etc. Towards the bottom is a selection for Snow. Click that and you will see snow. For me I usually adjust the cloud position as the default gives me very limited visibility. Let me know if that works for you. 

Mike & Rob, I threw this out but no one responded so I will try again on the chance it wasn't seen:  instead of using presets where the user says to himself, "I'm taking off in Denver CO, it's Oct 24th, which preset should I use?", then chooses one, is there potential do you think to run that decision could be made by referencing a data table/algorithm that simply and seamlessly chooses the correct season preset for that elevation, latitude and day of the year?  What do you think?  It seems very desirable to me but I have no idea if it's possible currently.

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

instead of using presets where the user says to himself, "I'm taking off in Denver CO, it's Oct 24th, which preset should I use?", then chooses one, is there potential do you think to run that decision could be made by referencing a data table/algorithm that simply and seamlessly chooses the correct season preset for that elevation, latitude and day of the year?

This is a good thought and @Rob_Ainscough would probably be able to give some insight to the the technical aspect of this. From solely a perspective of creating presets, it is possible for me to create 12 presets (one for each month) that depict tree color changes throughout a year. In concept I could see that each one of those presets could be assigned to a month and latitude. In terms of having the app automatically render that preset based on the month and latitude parameters is a totally different thing and would be something for Rob weigh in on.

• Like 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

but seems to require  starting of a new flight (can still be in sim, just not in flight).

Cheers, Rob.

RT would certainly be a very worthy goal.  Sometimes while in the TBM930 I will complete a flight plan, shut down the plane but stay in the parking area, to return in an hour or so to create another flight plan from its onboard flight planner.  From your knowledge of the architecture could that trigger a new scenery set?  It was nice to discover ATC reads the newly created flight plan correctly and allows you to file it IFR and all works as expected.  All the Best on this one it would be huge!   We do keep hearing comments true or false that Asobo is working on seasons so it's a little intriguing you are both working on this project now.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It is unclear exactly how long it will take Asobo to add this feature to the product and I may be wrong but they haven't said it will be free, so this free mod is timely and greatly appreciated. Great job guys!

11 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

Thanks, that worked!

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, JJ_ said:

It is unclear exactly how long it will take Asobo to add this feature to the product and I may be wrong but they haven't said it will be free, so this free mod is timely and greatly appreciated. Great job guys!

Everything's been 'free' so far and there is zero precedant for anything else.  They will sell ample copies to keep the sim alive when it ports to Xbox so highly doubtful they will charge a nickel for when seasons are added.  LM though will happily nail for for another $200 for the DX-12 and EA upgrade, right after the $200 for conversion to 64-bit, right after the other $200 for a bit more optimization of the existing ancient code.

• Upvote 1

Noel

8 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Let it go ... seriously, just getting annoying now and doesn't serve any purpose.

Cheers, Rob.

Sure it does--it lets newcomers appreciate more what they are getting for very low cost in MSFS, especially when someone conjectures they might have to pay for seasons, japan update, NA update, and so on.  

• Like 1

Noel

The thing that sticks out to me on the snowy versions is that the trees have no snow on them and all the roads are snow covered. Did all the snow plow drivers go on strike and shake all the snow off the trees onto the streets? 🤪 🤔

But I understand that it's most likely because of the limits of Asobo's assets your working with at the moment. Also I'm looking forward to release of the project regardless as it will probably next fall at least before Asobo gets their own version out.

Edited by Bob_D

23 hours ago, Bob_D said:

The thing that sticks out to me on the snowy versions is that the trees have no snow on them and all the roads are snow covered. Did all the snow plow drivers go on strike and shake all the snow off the trees onto the streets? 🤪 🤔

But I understand that it's most likely because of the limits of Asobo's assets your working with at the moment. Also I'm looking forward to release of the project regardless as it will probably next fall at least before Asobo gets their own version out.

Have you used the sliders that control snow features?  I didn't look too closely except to note you can vary the distribution of snow quite a bit.  Its a transitional feature I'm sure.  At some point it will be tied to actual weather and conditions.

Edited by Noel

Noel

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Have you used the sliders that control snow features?  I didn't look too closely except to note you can vary the distribution of snow quite a bit.  Its a transitional feature I'm sure.  At some point it will be tied to actual weather and conditions.

No not me personally, I have only flown in live weather. So no sliders to adjust in live weather.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:45 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Well what we're working on is free, hopefully Alpha this weekend and them public Beta next weekend pending on any issues from Alpha.

Cheers, Rob. 

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, BUT I cannot find any further information on this project.  Is this "dead", "postponed" , etc ?? Anyone know ? 

WAT1460.png