Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

It's a bad time to buy a new PC?

I'm kinda out of the loop with PC parts been so busy with life.  I'm thinking of a Q1 2021 build but wow...there are no new GPU's or Ryzen CPU's to be found.  Is this due to production delays from Covid?  Or is this a crypto mining issue again?

I guess I could go with an i7 10700K as well.  But I'd be stuck with my GTX 1080 ti

Do we know when things will be back in stock?

What about 4k MSFS with a 3080?  Will it work?  What about VR?  Is the assumption that if you can run 4k you could also run VR?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Production shortfalls due to supply constraints (broad-based shortages of Samsung silicon wafers, substrates, and other components) is what's been driving the shortage of 3000-series nVidia GPUs.  Their CFO recently predicted it would take at least several months still for supply to catch up with demand.

I wouldn't want to limit my future options by pulling the trigger on a new 10GB video card with DX12 on the horizon.  With DX12 at 4K res, 10GB of VRAM may well become a real showstopper.  If it were me already sitting on an 11GB 1080Ti, I'd wait and see how things evolve before I'd spring for a new card with even less VRAM.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ok thanks, my wife will like that haha!

Hope you and your family are well Bob!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have thought about building a new PC as well, but the availability of critical parts just isn't there. I am going to suffer through a few more months until we have the next great thing that causes the current scalpers to rotate into that. Then I will probably get a 3080 or 6800 XT. I can wait. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Its overwhelming demand yes, but there are other factors. Covid is having a big impact on companies. Critical electronic manufacturing hubs have been idle. So its a confluence of events, not anticipating big demand, wafer shortages and other component shortages due to covid etc.

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, RobJC said:

I have thought about building a new PC as well, but the availability of critical parts just isn't there. 

Its mainly the latest AMD and Nvidia cards that are hard to get now. Personally, I had a few issues finding a 1000 watt PSU, and now of course an EVGA RTX 3090, but I had no issue securing other components. 10900K was easy, RAM was easy. Storage was easy. Motherboard was easy. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

I have not seen or heard a single word or news blurb that any manufacturer is stepping up, increasing production or seeking other manufacturing sources.

These companies are easily meeting their board member's goals and fiscal needs thus they don't give a word not allowed about the current high consumer demand nor plan to do anything about it.

With the blatant lack of company agility, I predict this electronics shortage to last another 12 months before things become 'normal' again.

Edited by VeryBumpy
clarity

The fastest why to get the new tech GPU`s is to buy a new prebuilt PC, PC builders are keeping some stock of the new GPU`s for them selves to sell with complete builds you get bumped up the list for that.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Its mainly the latest AMD and Nvidia cards that are hard to get now. Personally, I had a few issues finding a 1000 watt PSU, and now of course an EVGA RTX 3090, but I had no issue securing other components. 10900K was easy, RAM was easy. Storage was easy. Motherboard was easy. 

This was my experience. I opted to shoulder on with my EVGA 1080 Hybrid for a while longer but built a whole new 5.1Ghz Intel computer around it.

Last week I took the plunge and bought a 55” 4K quantum tv to use as a monitor. It was an open box deal that was literally too good to not purchase vs a much smaller 4K monitor. I’ve been running MSFS in the high 30’s low 40’s with my current setup in my Sig. P3DV5 gets considerable more FPS with lots of orbx and add on planes, active sky yadda yadda yadda. Of course I’m running conservative ish settings...

I’m now in the market for a 5800x and a 3080 or a 3090 if the price is right....but looks like I will be waiting a while.

As for VR...with my 2070 Super, VR runs just fine on my Odyssey Plus. Obviously the graphics sliders are turned down for this.

Edited by CaptainNick

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Excellent thanks for the info gents!

Nick, is that VR in p3d or msfs?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

26 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Excellent thanks for the info gents!

Nick, is that VR in p3d or msfs?

I can't comment on one of them at this time, nda etc but yes. 

• Upvote 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

9 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Indeed. Most do go OTT. That has always been my experience. I'm the guy that usually points that out to people.

However... with Nvidia now recommending a 750 watt PSU as absolute minimum for the 30 series cards, and some users with 850 watt having issues, and some users like me with a CPU with hefty power requirements, and regarding it as a good idea to hit the sweet spot in the PSU efficiency curve,  the time for a 1000 watt PSU is probably here. 🙂

And I can afford it. 😉

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

I have not seen or heard a single word or news blurb that any manufacturer is stepping up, increasing production or seeking other manufacturing sources.

These companies are easily meeting their board member's goals and fiscal needs thus they don't give a word not allowed about the current high consumer demand nor plan to do anything about it.

With the blatant lack of company agility, I predict this electronics shortage to last another 12 months before things become 'normal' again.

Nvidia on GeForce RTX 30 Shortages: We Don't Get Enough Chips

Nvidia does not deny that it cannot supply enough of its latest add-in-boards (AIB) because of overwhelming demand and because it cannot get enough wafers with chips from its partner Samsung Foundry. The company admits that there are constraints beyond chip supply, so the issue with shortages is indeed very complicated.  

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-shortages