Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

A new Vet in the dales.

The British TV show is a remake of an old series set in 1930's Yorkshire. Now coming to America on PBS

The old:

The new:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/clips/all-creatures-great-and-small-s1-inside-look/

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The Brits are very good at doing period sets, but having enjoyed the original series very much, I wonder how this will match it .

Cheers, 

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

My wife can't get enough of shows like this. Like that one about the socially awkward doctor in some small town. Sorry, I can't recall the name. And the one where the detectives have to solve a murder, I mean the dreary ones that drag on that I think Swedes invented. But also the murder-of-the-week series like Midsomer Murders (not to be confused with the dumb movie Midsommar). Now, I did enjoy River, and Marcella, mainly because Anna Friel is very watchable. I don't even know how to watch PBS anymore since we cut the cable. It's probably available somewhere. Maybe I should get her an Acorn subscription. But my favorite was Peaky Blinders. I was sorry to see that one end. (Wait. It did end, right? Or was it on Netflix, which we dumped?) I got one of those caps. Looks good. And a haircut like they have is probably going to become my style very soon, since it looks pretty easy to do at home. Oh, also the one with the American gunslinger, the Madame, that guy from Game of Thrones and the detective who are all after another Jack the Ripper, then some sort of werewolf. Yeah, the Brits do good shows. I am sure she watched the original All Creatures Great and Small. Ack, I just piloted the red-eye into JFK and am writing stream of consciousness, about to lapse into Finnegan's Wake.

iOhszJ.jpg

Edited by Tim_Capps
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

Like that one about the socially awkward doctor in some small town

Doc Martin :wink:

4 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

I got one of those caps. Looks good.

...with or without the razor blade? :ph34r::blink::biggrin:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

If you check out the original books, which the various versions of All Creatures Great and Small were adapted from (one film and two major TV series, one of these being particularly long-running with, I seem to recall, approaching 100 episodes), you'll find they have quite a bit of aviation related stuff in them.

This is because the Author James Wight - wrote them in a fictionalised autobiographical style under the pen name of James Herriot. Whilst he was indeed a vet for very many years in a practice very similar to the fictional one in the books, both he and his veterinary boss were both in the RAF during WW2, with Herriot being well on the way to becoming a wartime pilot until an operation failed to cure a chronic health problem with him, resulting in him being discharged from the RAF in 1943, but this was not before he had soloed and he was by all accounts a very good pilot.

Wight's books fictionalise the flying part of his real life experiences in the RAF and are a good read, but of course the books concentrate mainly on his whimsical experiences as a vet. Yet like the Biggles books of W.E. Johns, the bits about flying in Wight's books too are very realistic and engrossing, because for the most part they are based on the writer's real-life experiences. 

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, HighBypass said:

with or without the razor blade?

I tried the razor blades for those rare trips into the Mad Max-ish world of the nearest town, but I discovered why they're called "blinders." I couldn't see for the blood in my eyes. The All Creatures Great and Small series looks really good. But Diana Rigg is that old? Last time I saw her, she was in a leather body suit with Mr. Peel and I was in love with her. (I was like six).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah we liked Marcella too in our family. And the oh so polite fat detective Vera. Shetland has the best scenery. Escape Artist reminds me of a Hitchcock film, it's very good. Broadchurch series was redone with the same star in America (David Tennant) after the original series won awards in Britain.

All our favorites....tbEO81O.jpg

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Enjoy watching Endeavour, Shetland and BroadChurch. I can only take so much of Vera, I'm afraid. Since when does a senior police officer walk around in a stupid hat and a tatty old rain coat, and call everybody pet !

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

My all-time favorite conversation from Doc Martin:

Little kid being examined by Doc Martin:  "Am I going to die?"

Doc Martin: "Yes.............................................eventually"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freo said:

and call everybody pet

.. When she's a Geordie.. :wink:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 12/12/2020 at 4:11 AM, Tim_Capps said:

But my favorite was Peaky Blinders. I was sorry to see that one end. (Wait. It did end, right? Or was it on Netflix, which we dumped?) I got one of those caps. Looks good. And a haircut like they have is probably going to become my style very soon, since it looks pretty easy to do at home.

iOhszJ.jpg

The Shelby gang will return, despite a coronavirus delay

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

The good news is that I missed a whole season. The other good new is that one of my favorite characters--Alfie--isn't dead after all, and that's a spoiler I can live with. Possibly the most memorable character ever to appear on television screens. I guess I'll have to sign up for Netflix long enough to catch the last season.

I think this detective movie to be at least close to the best film ever made. Jim Emerson in Microsoft Cinemania called it 'dreaming in technicolor'.

vgreencars-thumb-510x278-51282.jpg

vcarlottaport-thumb-510x275-51354.jpg

vrescue-thumb-510x273-51255.jpg

vwoods-thumb-510x279-51309.jpg

vcopclimb-thumb-510x276-51327.jpg

vgreenbay-thumb-510x278-51300.jpg

vcemcannas-thumb-510x275-51294.jpg

Love Doc Martin, Broadchurch, Downton, etc, I would also recommend Kingdom starring Stephen Fry. I loved the original ACGAS and this looks good.