Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Nvidia 30 series stock to improve.

Things could get worse in the future for AMD and Nvidia. But good for Intel as they are already gaining back market share due to the unavailability of AMD products. APPLE is King in the future deeper pockets. 

Apple claims half of TSMC 5nm production capacity for 2021 (guru3d.com)

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Heard this morning that a shipping container full of PC parts that would normally be $2000, is now $10,000. 😲

No wonder prices for ALL PC components are skyrocketing. 

Mining $2000 is peanuts now, now big in China as well so some parts never leave the Fareast.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

20 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Mining $2000 is peanuts now, now big in China as well so some parts never leave the Fareast.  

There's a pessimistic view of the future.  Sadly, I expect you are 100% correct.  All I can say is, "so long, flight sims, you were fun when I could build a computer to run you."

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

It was bound to happen w/ exploding population and demand for consumer entertainment.  It's really hard to fathom but one lousy long human lifespan ago global population was around 1.8B.  It's now pushing 8B, and in just 100y.  It's the first time in my life something like a blithering video card is in far higher demand than supply can meet, and I think its a harbinger.

And I read RTX3080 Ti might be limited to 12Gb of VRAM.  That would be a nice improvement for me, but far less than hoped for.  If I could find a 3090 at a reasonable price I'd probably do it.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 2/11/2021 at 5:47 PM, G-RFRY said:

You might be misunderstanding. That was the shipping container itself that cost £2000. The same container, container only, now costs £10,000. It demonstrated how significantly costs have risen to ship electronic  components. 

10 hours ago, Noel said:

It was bound to happen w/ exploding population and demand for consumer entertainment.  It's really hard to fathom but one lousy long human lifespan ago global population was around 1.8B.  It's now pushing 8B, and in just 100y.  It's the first time in my life something like a blithering video card is in far higher demand than supply can meet, and I think its a harbinger.

And I read RTX3080 Ti might be limited to 12Gb of VRAM.  That would be a nice improvement for me, but far less than hoped for.  If I could find a 3090 at a reasonable price I'd probably do it.

I think I manged to get my 3090 at the right time. Thought it was pricey at the time, but now they're way more expensive. Thought I was extravagant but turns out I was actually lucky. 

29 minutes ago, martin-w said:

You might be misunderstanding. That was the shipping container itself that cost £2000. The same container, container only, now costs £10,000. It demonstrated how significantly costs have risen to ship electronic  components. 

Why has shipping cost increased by 500%?  I have to wonder due to the relative abruptness of this that the tariff war is involved.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I think I manged to get my 3090 at the right time. Thought it was pricey at the time, but now they're way more expensive. Thought I was extravagant but turns out I was actually lucky. 

It was definitely pricey at that time, and far worse now!  I'll be curious to see if and when you actually NEED 24Gb of VRAM for any flight sim currently in existance, and for the next couple of years too!  W/ MSFS it is probably possible to force this by putting the render scaler up to 200% but what you get for that would be difficult to justify, i.e. the change in image quality.

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Why has shipping cost increased by 500%?  I have to wonder due to the relative abruptness of this that the tariff war is involved.

Covid apparently. And BREXIT for us as well. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-04/u-k-freight-shipping-costs-quadruple-after-brexit-and-covid-19

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/covid-19-drives-up-ship-operating-costs/

1 hour ago, Noel said:

if and when you actually NEED 24Gb of VRAM for any flight sim currently in existance, and for the next couple of years too!  

I don't at all and I'm not simming at the moment. I bought it because, rarely, I can afford the best at the moment. 

That was a rhetorical Martin, I was saying fhan ANYONE, not you in particular.  I read 3080Ti might get only 12Gb of VRAM which is borderline it seems, though I get by so well w/ 8Gb it might be good enough.  I have no idea what to expect from DX-12 in terms of demand on VRAM but I understand it's significant, just no idea by how much.  If I could buy a 3090 for it's actual retail price today I would consider it just to not have to think about GPUs for the next 5+y, even if the top half of that VRAM may hardly ever see an electron.  The sad part was I had the the FE version in the cart for $1499!  After several minutes of no action I made the fatal mistake of refreshing the screen after which it became sold out.  Almost!

Noel

On 2/12/2021 at 5:57 AM, stans said:

There's a pessimistic view of the future.  Sadly, I expect you are 100% correct.  All I can say is, "so long, flight sims, you were fun when I could build a computer to run you."

Yep! the fun part is wearing off..fast

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

On 2/14/2021 at 10:52 PM, Noel said:

The sad part was I had the the FE version in the cart for $1499!  After several minutes of no action I made the fatal mistake of refreshing the screen after which it became sold out.  Almost!

God that's frustrating.

I've noticed its gone even more bonkers with PSU's now. they have 1200 watt Corsair and EVGA PSU's on Amazon UK, for, wait for it.....         £1200.

About three times the normal price. Utter insanity.