Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Tobii Eye Tracker 5

Any word from ABOSO if it's going to be supported at some point?

Chris Camp

Has anyone got it working in MSFS?

Chris Camp

Anyone using this successfully in MSFS yet...?

Chris Camp

Hi Chris,

Here is someone using it in MSFS, ha a look:

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

Nice!

Thanks!

Chris Camp

This looks interesting. Is it better than Track IR?

Wait, Track IR works flawlessly in MSFS 2020.

What's this got that's better?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

Yup, I bought a Tobii 5 a couple of weeks back to try with MSFS. It does work via FaceTrackNoIR and I love the convenience of head tracking without anything needed on your head. Out of the box, it works well and very smooth but it always felt a bit laggy. I had to play around with settings in the filter in FaceTrackNoIR to get it tracking quickly one to one. Doing this though made it a bit jittery, it’s almost too accurate and the filter struggles to smooth it tiny movements.

I also found I was losing ~5fps in game on average but setting up FaceTrackNoIR to use my Trackhat instead also had the exact same FPS reduction so this appears to be a software issue and unrelated to Tobii. 

If you only have Tobii, it’s well worth setting up to use in MSFS but if you already have TrackIR or equivalent then it’s not worth switching at the moment imho. I’m personally sticking with my Trackhat for just now but I would love to see native Tobii support in MSFS. I think if they did this then we wouldn’t have the performance issues I was seeing and I would jump back on it. They could also then include optional eye tracking support for extra accuracy. 

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do my best.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:17 PM, Donka said:

Yup, I bought a Tobii 5 a couple of weeks back to try with MSFS. It does work via FaceTrackNoIR and I love the convenience of head tracking without anything needed on your head. Out of the box, it works well and very smooth but it always felt a bit laggy. I had to play around with settings in the filter in FaceTrackNoIR to get it tracking quickly one to one. Doing this though made it a bit jittery, it’s almost too accurate and the filter struggles to smooth it tiny movements.

I also found I was losing ~5fps in game on average but setting up FaceTrackNoIR to use my Trackhat instead also had the exact same FPS reduction so this appears to be a software issue and unrelated to Tobii. 

If you only have Tobii, it’s well worth setting up to use in MSFS but if you already have TrackIR or equivalent then it’s not worth switching at the moment imho. I’m personally sticking with my Trackhat for just now but I would love to see native Tobii support in MSFS. I think if they did this then we wouldn’t have the performance issues I was seeing and I would jump back on it. They could also then include optional eye tracking support for extra accuracy. 

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do my best.

Do you mind sharing the curves you have set up for the Tobii5?

I uninstalled and sold the Tobii as I'm sticking with my Trackhat for now but I'll check my sim pc to see if I still have the settings file - I'm sure I did keep a copy and if so, I'll share this evening.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Official support coming in SU7 on 18th November. 😀

• Like 2

Hard to beat Track IR in my opinion, it works and works well.

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I know your asking about tobi but If your looking for a solution on the cheap, 15$ Smooth track app and a camera (I use my iPhone camera on a stand) and you have yourself a head tracker with no head gear required that works great. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Hard to beat Track IR in my opinion, it works and works well.

Agreed I'm just tired of wearing additional gear on my head!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

23 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Agreed I'm just tired of wearing additional gear on my head!

Agreed, strangely liberating to not have to wear some form of head gear. Will also be interested in how well eye tracking performs if that is also enabled. 

It tracks head or actual eye movement and I don't have to wear a stupid clip on my head every flight? Count me in. Been using Track IR for years but this looks like a nice step forward. 

• Like 1

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"