Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Sites selling freeware?

48 minutes ago, mark111 said:

Hi,

Yes, its me, i am the creator of this mod.

And you are all correct, its way too complicated to start doing it this way.. I'm updating the scenery so often, no body can keep up.. 

So i am pulling out of the vending idea and the 2 purchases that were made will be refunded ASAP..

It has to be one or the other... so i'm just going the freeware way,

Look out for update V7.9 coming soon at flightsim.to and Nexus

Hiya Mark.  That is really good of you to support the community in this way.  I intend to download your Gatwick and try it over the holiday.  It is getting excellent reviews.

I will be sure to send you a donation for your efforts, and as recognition for what you have done and the time you have put in, I hope others will send you a donation also, no matter how big or small.  👍

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, mark111 said:

Hi,

Yes, its me, i am the creator of this mod.

And you are all correct, its way too complicated to start doing it this way.. I'm updating the scenery so often, no body can keep up.. 

So i am pulling out of the vending idea and the 2 purchases that were made will be refunded ASAP..

It has to be one or the other... so i'm just going the freeware way,

Look out for update V7.9 coming soon at flightsim.to and Nexus

You may try seeing about adding a donation link on the free site, do not ask me how you do this.  This may help with your efforts but have seen it done with another mod.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mike62 said:

You may try seeing about adding a donation link on the free site, do not ask me how you do this.  This may help with your efforts but have seen it done with another mod.

Please do...  Based on your decision I'd be happy to donate as well Mark...  The concern was absolutely someone taking your work and selling it which has been done before!  Glad that wasn't the case and happy to support your efforts! 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

No need to worry. We are here to ensure that no one tries to sell what we know is freeware from our creative creators.

Thank you for your excellent contribution.

Yes, thankfully the folks at flightsim.com moved it to the freeware section. I mean, all the rules about insurance and having a separate computer etc etc and making a proper business has completely put me off.

My computers nearly 8 years old and about the give up i would think with the SDK and blender projects.

Thanks for the heads up on the legality. I think its much easier to just give it out free,

Mark

2 hours ago, Mike62 said:

Oh, lots of sites and downloaders have already uploaded to other sites probably with their own donation links..

The only good thing is i keep them to busy trying to keep up with my constant updates

3 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

The author pulled it out from flightsim.to and put it in simmarket. However as I said to him before here, those seasons mods are just too expensive, one season costs like 12usd (means over 40usd for all seasons) meanwhile these features are coming next year to the sim anyway. I am all for supporting for freeware developers but it has to be at reasonable price.

I must admit that seasonal mod looked pretty word not allowed good. Just i dont like messing with internal files outside of the community folder

8 hours ago, Younonowt said:

last week i called him out on it by asking him how bad someone must feel when they have just spent $20 on a addon to find out its free, plus its not worth $20 as its early access and still uses the default runway,taxi way and ingame parking charts 

Hi, when i get all the safe docks in place, all 175 of them, and may attempt to start editing the runway,taxiway,apron/parking positions/jetways etc etc. Hopefully the SDK over the next few months will make ILS and all the other Navigation easier to create because right now they normally get messed up when you overlay a new airport with the same name as the default, i.e EGKK

This is a mammoth task for one person. and i am so sorry i asked for 20$ for about 1000+ hours of work i have put in so far

@mark111, I think you need to edit your last post. Your reply is embedded in the quote

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It is worth noting that Robert Young has done the Turbo Bonanza for free, apparently because of the hassle, obligations, criticism that is part and parcel of trying to ship addons as a commercial product.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

People can be entitled enough with freebies. I wouldn't want any money on the line. 

And with something like this you're totally helpless in the face of all its fast moving and inaccessible parts. If they break some freeware you can simply tell your users to kiss it.

If they've laid out money in your direction they expect some redress even when you have none to offer. 

• Like 1

I cannot see why  Developer cannot sell HIS product and also if he wants it give it away to a class of people or to anyone.  Many developers have given software free for those registering within a certain period.  I can think of at least one airport and an environmental package and there are many more as there should be.

Harry Woodrow

1 hour ago, harrry said:

I cannot see why  Developer cannot sell HIS product and also if he wants it give it away to a class of people or to anyone.  Many developers have given software free for those registering within a certain period.  I can think of at least one airport and an environmental package and there are many more as there should be.

You seem to have missed the point. Nobody has said a dev can't  offer something for free as well as selling it, but the fact everyone was able to get this particular add-on for free, anyone who paid for it would be rightly angered if they later realised exactly the same product was free. This wasn't a case of free to the first x number of people, it was simultaneously payware and freeware.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

So what.  It was him to give away or to sell.  Presumably but not required if the purchaser paid for the sim he has a contact channel to the developer for possible information.  It is his to give or to sell. If the customer bought it he was presumably happy to do so.  I can download FAA manuals free from their convoluted website,  I can buy that free product on Amazon by paying for it.  Up to the consumer.

Harry Woodrow

4 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

You seem to have missed the point. Nobody has said a dev can't  offer something for free as well as selling it, but the fact everyone was able to get this particular add-on for free, anyone who paid for it would be rightly angered if they later realised exactly the same product was free. This wasn't a case of free to the first x number of people, it was simultaneously payware and freeware.

The plan was to update the vending version ahead of the freeware version, and send the new updates to supporters first. And the later by a week or 2 update the freeware to current. I did consider not updating the freeware version as its had 1000's of hours put into it already and its being ripped and probably sold/donation links to rippers already.

But thanks to this thread that idea is over. So now everyone can be happy :) I'll just keep plodding along as freeware.

I simply do not have the finances to start a business and buy another computer as a comment above stated

• Like 3

17 hours ago, harrry said:

So what.  It was him to give away or to sell.  etc

And still you miss the point. Nevermind, moving on...

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)