Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS 2020 in VR is Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I posted a thread with little comment. This allowed people to watch the video and draw encouragement from it..... Or not.

You however, wrote several paragraphs presenting your opinion as authoritative, and essentially the last word, apparently in the name of setting the record straight for everyone.

As you might note above, that is the very epitome of editorializing. Which goes back to my original question: 

I seem to be hearing your answer as being "Yes."

We have stylistic differences.

Sorry if you misunderstood. My "editorialize" comment referred to you forming an opinion on my inner thoughts and motivations, just like you did again (multiple times) here e.g "presenting your opinion as authoritative", "essentially the last word", "apparently in the name of setting the record straight for everyone" "I seem to be hearing your answer as being 'yes'" (by the way, if you are hearing voices you should chat to your friendly MD!)

It's just a bunch of straw man statements - you're making up stuff I didn't say and ascribing motivations to me which are false. Geez, for a guy who's supposed to be all about love and happiness, you do tend to get snarky when someone doesn't agree with your world view, Devon!

Also, are we seriously now going to start trying to win Avsim arguments based on the dictionary definition of single words?? I used to do this when I was debating in high school, for the love of god let's not start doing that here. 

I think I've made it pretty clear in my comments here that I'm enjoying MSFS VR and I'm flying it a lot. It's not, in my opinion, ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!, rather it's a decent first release that should do well with a bit more refinement and performance optimization. 

Let's have a look at the other top threads around this one on the forum right now:

- Not so much impressed by Reverb G2 - blurry image
- Can't bind keys for VR
- Occulus Rift S, can't figure it out
- Any Oculus Users Having Success
- Horrible Frame Rate No Matter What
- Wobbly heat haze look to the outside world

I'm still a fan of Asobo's VR work, but I'm also going to be realistic about what they've achieved and what still needs to be done.

Cheers!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

10 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

But let's do without these clickbait titles - the second video is no better - there's way too much of that nonsense on the internet already, I said before Avsim is NOT Buzzfeed. Let's not make it into "BuzzSim".

If you have issues that serious with the titles of videos, my best suggestion is to go to the youtube (or wherever) video comments section, where the video creator can see your objections and act as they deem appropriate.

In the meantime, I use a video title strictly as written by the various video creators and refuse to editorialize them, for what I deem a very practical and even considerate reason.

That reason is so that if anyone else attempts to post the same video here, they have a fair-to-decent chance, after conducting a search using the video title, of finding quickly that it has already been posted.

If instead, I rename a video to suit my (or anyones) whims, then multiple posts of a given video under different names can and have occured, causing extra work for the mods in having to move, delete, or lock these duplicate posts in their daily efforts to keep the forum trimmed.

It's a habit, and a firm decision of mine to do things this way, and it won't be changing.

Everyone else is of course at liberty to do otherwise, as it's a free country.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

It's a habit, and a firm decision of mine to do things this way, and it won't be changing.

Uh..OK then.

If I see a clickbait title that is misleading, I'm going to comment on it, though. As you say, it's a free country.

Honestly, what I'd prefer is a little more "editorial control" of the videos. Are they actually worthwhile? What does this particular video actually add to Avsim? If the title is "clickbaity", the answer may be "not much".

Anyone can go to Youtube and find a hundred MSFS videos right now. When you post one here, you're suggesting to us that it's worth watching. I didn't watch the second one - what was the secret trick that was going to "INCREASE MY FRAME RATE BY 50%"? If there really is such a hack - which sounds very unlikely - post it. If they're misleading us with a gross exaggeration, then why should it be here?

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

12 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

OK, I went and watched the video. It was, as expected, exaggerated, clickbait crud.

Title: MSFS HOW TO GAIN 50% MORE FPS!!

What is the trick that you can discover if spend 10 minutes of your life watching this?

...wait for it

......still wait for the big reveal.

...YOU TURN YOUR CUSTOM RENDER SCALE TO 60%.

Well, firstly, if this VR implementation was as amazing as we were claiming 5 minutes ago, why are we throwing away 40% of our pixels to make it work? And secondly, almost everyone knows that there's a render scale slider in the VR settings in the sim, and for those who don't, it's a one sentence summary: You can increase performance by turning down render scale in the sim (thus decreasing resolution), or as suggested here by doing it in the OpenXR settings.

I'm going to make a Youtube video where I claim a 100% PLUS FPS INCREASE!!!, my secret is going to be turn down render scale to 20%! 🙂

Oz

9 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Uh..OK then.

If I see a clickbait title that is misleading, I'm going to comment on it, though. As you say, it's a free country.

Honestly, what I'd prefer is a little more "editorial control" of the videos. Are they actually worthwhile? What does this particular video actually add to Avsim? If the title is "clickbaity", the answer may be "not much".

Anyone can go to Youtube and find a hundred MSFS videos right now. When you post one here, you're suggesting to us that it's worth watching. I didn't watch the second one - what was the secret trick that was going to "INCREASE MY FRAME RATE BY 50%"? If there really is such a hack - which sounds very unlikely - post it. If they're misleading us with a gross exaggeration, then why should it be here?

Who defines gross exaggeration and usefulness?

Maybe the mods.

Anyone else, especially people self deputized, have no more rights to censor people than I do.

I would say, if somebody finds a video that objectionable, then by all means report it, so the actual site guardians, being generally pretty level headed, can roll their eyes before moving on to something that actually requires their attention.

By the way, if I see a title I don't like, like the numerous "Asobo sux!!!!!" threads, I simply steer clear of them unless I'm feeling masochistic. I've made a firm commitment to ignore and absolutely under no circumstances post in such threads, and it's working out well for me.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

43 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Sorry if you misunderstood. My "editorialize" comment referred to you forming an opinion on my inner thoughts and motivations, just like you did again (multiple times) here e.g "presenting your opinion as authoritative", "essentially the last word", "apparently in the name of setting the record straight for everyone" "I seem to be hearing your answer as being 'yes'" (by the way, if you are hearing voices you should chat to your friendly MD!)

And that's where we have stylistic differences. I use words like "apparently" and "it seems" because I implicitly acknowledge that I might be wrong, and that gives the other party the opportunity to correct the record.

Unless you catch me on a bad day, I will always write with those types of caveats.

On the other hand, many people have a completely different style: Stating opinions as facts that brook to argument, written as if there are no possible alternatives to the given point of view.

On 12/23/2020 at 3:24 AM, OzWhitey said:

Firstly, the people who are amazed by the immersion of sitting in a cockpit in VR have been some how missing out on flying in VR in AF FS2, DCS, IL-2, X-plane and P3D for the past 6+ years or so. 

How do you know this?

Secondly, let's be honest here - MSFS's VR implementation is currently a buggy mess. The performance is pretty awful, even with $2000 video cards and Intels'latest and greatest CPU.

In your opinion.

Definite stylistic differences.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

Firstly, the people who are amazed by the immersion of sitting in a cockpit in VR have been some how missing out on flying in VR in AF FS2, DCS, IL-2, X-plane and P3D for the past 6+ years or so. 

How do you know this?

I think your objection here is a reading comprehension/writing clarity issue. If people are amazed about sitting in a cockpit in VR - and I've read several comments of this nature - it means that they haven't tried any of the many other sims that have had VR for years.

The feeling of actually sitting in a cockpit with an HMD is amazing, but it's in no way novel to MSFS. I know you know that, as we've both been big AF FS2 fans in the past. If someone wants to argue that the cockpit immersion aspect is somehow better in MSFS than DCS or X-Plane, sure they can - but that would be a whole different argument (and a difficult one to make, given factors such as the lack of hand controllers etc)

Secondly, let's be honest here - MSFS's VR implementation is currently a buggy mess. The performance is pretty awful, even with $2000 video cards and Intels'latest and greatest CPU.

In your opinion.

Yes, it's a discussion forum, not an academic journal or a religious text. Everything we post here is just our random opinions!

Enjoy your flying, I'm back to take the Zlin Savage Cub to some new and unexplorer corner of the world now.

Cheers, and merry Christmas to you and all the other VR aviation fans out there. 🙂

Oz

It is a little bit of a pitty that someone expressions and emotional feelings, posted by the OP, which is a nice warm welcome post on such a good ASOBO step to offer VR, is getting hijacked and discussed to death by some people who have other meanings and opinions. It is ok to give other feedback, but after that it should be enough....we have more posts about the thread titles being ok or not, compared to how amazing this vr experience is. I am also amazed and own several sims all vr. Still my MSFS WOW effect is bigger compared to my prior wow effects in x plane and p3d. 

BUT THAT is just my opinion.... 😉

I would like to see more options and experiences here......no verbal fight...but just opinions about you first expressions 

Marcus

• Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

7 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Jerkier when flying. Frame rates not smooth. Not sure why, but asobo obviously didn’t give much thought to oculus integration.

I never had much luck with Quest 1, but Quest 2 seemed to be working well with p3d when i flew it for many hours last weekend. Did not get the same happy experience in MSFS, it’s my least favorite of 3 HMDs i’ve tried for this sim (as per other comments, i absolutely love the quest 2 as a general VR device, go and get one anyway just not as your primary MSFS hmd!)

Good to know. Thanks!

I have the quest 1 working pretty good now, took a while to get right, still a bit glitchy at times but working and looking much better than in P3D, the link is pretty unstable on the quest 1 which causes issues and even though initially I'm in a USB 3 port it falls back to USB 2. It's certainly not an unbelievable VR implementation but it's not bad, we all have our own impressions and I'm happy the OP is having a great experience, I need to get my self G2 and a 3090 GTX, merry Christmas

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

14 hours ago, captain420 said:

With official implementation of VR into MSFS, I am very curious to know how well it is. I have a few questions and concerns, if anyone has experience and can answer them, I'd appreciate it. As it would help me make my mind on going VR or not.

1. How is flying in VR vs flying with TrackIR? What are the pros and cons?
  2. I am currently flying the sim on a 55" UHD 4K TV, will VR be noticeable better?
  3. Besides purchasing a VR headset, do I need anything extra to get full enjoyment out of MSFS?
  4. Will I be able to run my sim on ultra settings with VR?
  5. Does the TV actually have to be on while using VR, since I am viewing everything from the headset, can I shut the TV off to save energy?
  6. Do pop up windows such as The Skypark, Aivlasoft EFB, PFPX, SimToolKit Pro, Volanta, Navigraph Charts work well in VR?
  7. Will it be difficult to access keyboard commnands during flight since you can't see it? I have certain shortcuts mapped and I'm concerned about how I would see them with a VR headset on.
  8. What is the BEST VR headset that works well with MSFS out of the box?
  9. What resolution will the sim run at with a VR headset and will my computer be able to handle it?

Thanks!

1. uncomparqble. In vr you are in the Plane. Like a holodeck 

2. you could have a 100“ 16k and it still would be an embarrassing comparison

3. a hotas

4. no

5. yes you can turn it off

6. not tested yet

7. close you eyes and try using ur kB. There is Ur answer 

8. there is not the one best. Depends on budget and hardware performance

9. depends on the headset 

• Like 1

Lukas Dalton

Maybe VoiceAttack will be handy in VR?

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

Well here is a quick and dirty video of how its running right now on my system.

I chose a big, sprawling city and this is how it looks to me as far as FPS, with the caveat that actual in-headset resolution is lower than that captured in the video.

Still, at 130% rendering quality (I also use 150%) legibility of the instruments is quite good, and certainly comparable to other sims I have used in vr such as Aerofly. (Actually, a bit better, for me)

Flying is quite smooth.

• Like 3

Devons rig

59 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well here is a quick and dirty video of how its running right now on my system.

I chose a big, sprawling city and this is how it looks to me as far as FPS, with the caveat that actual in-headset resolution is lower than that captured in the video.

Still, at 130% rendering quality (I also use 150%) legibility of the instruments is quite good, and certainly comparable to other sims I have used in vr such as Aerofly. (Actually, a bit better, for me)

Flying is quite smooth.

Looks really good, what's your formula involving HMD settings via Tray Tool?

Trying to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

Also that Monaco scenery is fire!!!

Lets see how bad it crawls my system in VR🤣

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

19 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

As I said earlier, I’m just trying to throw a bit of realism here.

You said ‘Lol, don’t get offended’. I ask again, in which post did you read offense?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea