Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Reinstalling on New Computer - Best Advice to Ease the Pain?

7 hours ago, Reader said:

Odd that, it's exactly what the OP finally said he was going to do. I'm not sure who you would place into your "they" stereotype.

the majority of people,  in life people always want a short cut.  

14ppkc-6.png

On 12/29/2020 at 3:43 AM, Bob Scott said:

I install the add-on as if new, then overwrite it with the modded folder from the previous installation.  To keep it as hassle-free as possible, I try to keep the drive letters and folder names the same as in the old setup.

I keep those backups for a year or more...seems that I end up going back to them fairly regularly.

Having mulled over the options available to me with a new computer being ordered in the next few weeks this is the procedure I'll be going with. Having backups that can be mounted and selected files / folders copied to a new install will save countless hours. Think of all those Cartayna GSX configurations for one. But each airport will be installed from the exe and then the files from the original on backup copied over.

Another reason why you should always buy the fastest CPU and GPU you can't afford. This process is unavoidable and time consuming. Hopefully it will be many years before I'll need to do it again assuming I'm still metally capable.

Hence why the next PC will have a i9-13900K and a 4090 GPU. I've used Aomei Backupper (free) for many years and highly recommend it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

HDD's are so cheap and new systems come with one anyway so I usually just take the old drive out of my old PC and install it in the new PC.  In most cases now you can actually use EasyBCD and make the old drive bootable again with Win10/11 without having to reinstall everything, it will even automagically install all the new drivers.  I like being able to boot to my "old pc" and actually have things accessible but the alternative is to just use it as a data drive so you have all your old files right there in Windows Explorer accessible via the new build.    Myself I have 4 boot options.  P3D, MSFS, Steam Games including XP12 and FS9 🙂  This allows for more dedicated tweaking of the system for each sim platform and different dedicated driver settings rather than profiles.  I'm old school LOL.  

It's as simple as taking the HDD out of the old PC and plugging it into the new one.  I'm ashamed to admit I still have my old 256GB FS9 drive accessible in my brand new system LOL... Just in case because you never know...  

My other piece of advice is consolidate your registration codes LOL.  I have a text file with all my activation/registration codes because even if you do re-install then copy over with modded files you will still need to activate them so having all your codes handy in one spot is very helpful... But by keeping the old drive and same drive paths I was able to simply install P3D and "restore" all my AIG traffic, Global Mesh etc without having to reinstall everything.  

Despite some calling it shortcuts or looking for the easy way there is something to be said for working smarter not harder 🙂 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Having mulled over the options available to me with a new computer being ordered in the next few weeks this is the procedure I'll be going with.

I'm in the middle of a rebuild on my main PC with the same config (13900KS + RTX4090) now.  Even with the ability to carry over much of a prior P3D configuration, it's still sloooooooow going.  I'm already on day 3 of the software rebuild.

This is one thing X-Plane does so much better...just move the folder with all the add-ons in it to the new PC, and it just goes (well, after a short flurry of re-authorizations from X-Plane.org and X-Aviation).

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

@Bob Scott, ah, that’s interesting. You’ve chosen the KS. How does that differ from the K?

I suspect some airports could just be dropped in from a backup whereas others like Flightbeam require proper installation as they have a controlling interface.

I’ll split mine into regions or maybe by developer. Still chewing things over. Agreed a simpler way to get an existing build onto a new computer would be great.

If Microsoft and LR can manage it then it’s something for LM to consider.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray -- the KS variant is the binned version that has a max turbo speed of 6.0Ghz, is more expensive than the K version and draws more power. For more details see https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-13900ks-cpu-review

Have a good weekend!

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

@pgde, thanks for clarifying. Chillblast who is my preferred builder doesn’t list the KS. And with it pushing so much heat out I’m on the fence as to whether it’s worth it. Remember the 4090 is quite a heat generator too. Perhaps only suitable for full tower cases with extra cooling.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Bob Scott, ah, that’s interesting. You’ve chosen the KS. How does that differ from the K?

I suspect some airports could just be dropped in from a backup whereas others like Flightbeam require proper installation as they have a controlling interface.

I’ll split mine into regions or maybe by developer. Still chewing things over. Agreed a simpler way to get an existing build onto a new computer would be great.

If Microsoft and LR can manage it then it’s something for LM to consider.

The i9-13900KS is to the i9-13900K as the i7-8086K was to the i7-8700K.  Same chip, but top-binned, sort of a guaranteed winner of the silicon lottery.  I had really good luck with the 8086K...it was worth the extra $$ this build to make sure I could get close to the magic 6 GHz.  I've got this one running the three primary P3D threads at 6.0 GHz without much trouble (the rest of the P-cores are at 5.6 GHz, and the E-Cores I'm using are clocked up a bit to 4.5).

But...I doubt one could make that happen without a really robust cooling system.  I run two 360mm radiators in series external to the case plumbed with 1/2" ID tubing, and I see core temps hitting the mid-80s running a RealBench stress test, and in the 60s running P3D.  No way you put a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler onto a 13900K and hit it with Prime95...it'll be thermal throttling in literally seconds.

A lot of the add-ons require you to run the installer to register the software and put an encrypted key into the registry, so it's never as simple as just swapping a drive to the new PC.  I end up installing most of the payware stuff with the installer, then deleting the folder and replacing it with what I had before to keep my mods and config settings.  Works most of the time.  But quite time consuming to set up.  I'm about 120 airports into a 365 airport configuration at the moment.

• Like 1

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Bob, I guess you had a much better mobo than me because I could only get the i7-8086K to run at 4.9 on 3 cores and 4.8 on the other 3 using AI Suite. This time I’m going for the Asus ROG STRX mobo and will discuss cooling options with Chillblast.

According to this article the 13900K can be well overclocked. As the KS may not be an option this seems my best choice.

I have around 70 airports. Good luck with your install. 👍 Do you ever fly into the same airport twice? 😄

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Bob, I guess you had a much better mobo than me because I could only get the i7-8086K to run at 4.9 on 3 cores and 4.8 on the other 3 using AI Suite. This time I’m going for the Asus ROG STRX mobo and will discuss cooling options with Chillblast.

According to this article the 13900K can be well overclocked. As the KS may not be an option this seems my best choice.

I have around 70 airports. Good luck with your install. 👍 Do you ever fly into the same airport twice? 😄

My trusty 8086K is now my daily use and FPS shooter PC (the one I'm typing this on now).  It's paired with a Maximus XI Hero mobo...going on five years old and still running at 5.1 GHz on a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler now.

My real-world flying was as all over the map as my simming.  I flew C-141B heavy transports all over the globe, then three tours flying government VIPs in Gulfstreams hitting all sorts of mainstream and off-the-beaten-path destinations--twice based out of Europe and once out of Andrews AFB in Washington DC.  So something like Charleroi to Chisinau or Christchurch to Alice Springs seems as natural to me as Heathrow to Amsterdam probably seems to you.  😉

• Like 3

Bob, I’ve got a buyer for mine so that money is going towards my next system. I have an i5 8th gen for Radar Contact, Aivlasoft EFB and LNM. 7 years old and still fine.

As I’ll be using VSync on a 30Hz monitor that will relieve workload on the hardware except at the very large airports with lots of Ai. Seeing most disappear to Improve fps and still not hit 30 shows the CPU is not powerful enough. The GPU will ensure nighttime flights will have enough power. The 1080Ti is showing its age.

Do you fly those routes in real time? Some look really long. That’s why I like Concorde. Four hours was its time limit but in that time you could get from Heathrow to Barbados. I did manage Honolulu to Auckland but fuel was below legal minimum.

What a shame for you Gulfstream have never allowed their aircraft to be modelled for flight sim. 🙁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather