Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

So, is FSX Deluxe worth $70?

I was one of the convention attendees that was promised a free copy of FSX for attending. Well, though no fault of AVSIM, I am still with out FSX. I uninstalled FS9 a while ago to focus on work thinking that I would have FSX soon. That was a mistake. I haven't had any FS 3 months. I'm dying here!So the question is, to all that have bought FSX, is it worth spending the money to get a copy now or is it something I could wait for - perhaps re-install fs9 in the meantime? In other words, is it a "must have right now" sim?Thanks

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Hi Jeff,I can see the possibility of this post heading south quickly but what the heck.Whether you want to spend the money can be a difficult question to answer from an outsiders point of view. I was intrigued by the demo enough that I found the real deal one day before the official release, bought it, installed it and have had no regrets.It's by no stretch of the imagination a fluid experience when trying to turn everything up to max. There are, however, things that have been posted throughout the forums that make the experience more enjoyable. I'm of the "turn autogen off" crowd since the textures in FSX are extremely well done. Sure, when you're on the ground, you loose some of the ambiance surrounding the airport, but once in flight the textures are very convincing.Try to look objectively at the posts that will inevitably follow and weigh your options. This is just a hobby for me. If it weren't FSX, it would be something else. I'm glad to have made the purchase. Jim Karn

Guest JohnEGPF

For me FSX is stunning, probably the biggest advance I have see in any version 1M ground textures that convey a lot more than mere "eye candy", default aircraft that I can trim for level flight, the way turbulance is modeled, plus 5.1 sound, the sound of the AI aircaft at big airport with 5.1 has to be heard to be believed.I know many people have having big problems performance wise, and I hope this can be fixed with upcoming patches, and No its not perfect.I'm not so keen on the new European city Autogen buildings, plus there seems to be less ground texture variations based on regions than in fs9, but is it better than fs9 for me.. oh yes tried a flight earlier in FS9 and it its flying on rails just cant go back to fs9. *Edited to add PC details*Intel E6600@3.2 ghzNvidia 7900GTO 512MB2 gig Crucial DDR2 800 memoryAsus pb deluxe motherboardSoundblaster audigy card with 4.1 speakersTuniq tower cooler( huge but VERY effective)John

This is the only game that i would ever pay this much for and yes it is worth that much even with its performance woes and terrain bugs. FS9 was worth it too. Granted, as the other user said they are not perfect, but what other game out there models the entire world and allows you to fly around the world if you so wish? Once you do the tweaks, it doesn't run all that bad until you hit the major cities and/or get in some 3rd party add-on planes.

>I was one of the convention attendees that was promised a>free copy of FSX for attending. Well, though no fault of>AVSIM, I am still with out FSX. I uninstalled FS9 a while ago>to focus on work thinking that I would have FSX soon. That was>a mistake. I haven't had any FS 3 months. I'm dying here!>>So the question is, to all that have bought FSX, is it worth>spending the money to get a copy now or is it something I>could wait for - perhaps re-install fs9 in the meantime? In>other words, is it a "must have right now" sim?>>ThanksAvsim, posted last week, that those free copies should have been shipped on 11/27 so I would guess yours is in the mail, if they followed through!!Edit: Just saw the post about the mixup between, standard vs deluxe. It still looks like it should only be a couple of weeks. I think you should hold off until then. If they still haven't resolved the issue, then you could consider purchasing it. Paying $70 now for something you should get free in 2 weeks isn't very cost effective.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

> I'm of the "turn autogen off">crowd since the textures in FSX are extremely well done. >Sure, when you're on the ground, you loose some of the>ambiance surrounding the airport, but once in flight the>textures are very convincing.>That's an excellent way of describing "auto gen off". I do the same, as the photo type city textures look excellent and sometimes even better, without auto-gen houses placed on top. In fact, those textures, as you've described, are so convincing, that it looks more like an actual flight movie, than simulated animation.I've been checking out several locations where cities meet the foothills of mountainous areas, such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Seattle, etc. FSX looks very impressive in these areas due to the crisp looking high resolution textures of subdivisions carpeting the lower foothills. I'm hooked on the higher resolution texture"look" of FSX. While there are some areas in FSX, that don't actually look as good as the previous FS9, there are just too many places where FSX looks exceptional. When that's combined with a much more convincing airmass, it just becomes the sim I prefer using.Overall, I do try to keep frame rates in the 25 fps region. 25 fps in FSX is smooth and stutterless. Even with clouds from real weather, or the default weather scenario, I'm able to run in the mid 20's most of the time. I also use FSGenesis mesh, and have most scenery settings on the high end. Water effects and auto-gen is off. Besides, sometimes, even the water setting on "off" looks better. L.Adamson edit: I'd re-install FS9 if you have the room. I tend to treat FS9 & FSX as two different simulations instead of a replacement for FS9. I know that FS9 will never have the high res look of FSX, but I figure that FSX will never have the fps headroom for a lot of frame rate hogging addons. Might not be a case of never, but I don't see it in the immediate future.Athlon 64 3800+/2GIG/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/ 1600*1200*32

Guest United

You've been waiting 3 months to get FSX Deluxe, we who have FSX Deluxe have waited 3 months to have any of our preciously FS9 addons updated to FSX and very very very very few are currently available. Randy Jura, KPDX

Download the demo. If the demo runs well on your computer you *may* be happy with FSX. If the frame rates are poor then you may want to stick with FS9.

>You've been waiting 3 months to get FSX Deluxe, we who have>FSX Deluxe have waited 3 months to have any of our preciously>FS9 addons updated to FSX and very very very very few are>currently available. >>Randy Jura, KPDX3 months? FSX was officially released 17th October not 2nd September. ;-)

>Paying $70 now for something you should get free in 2>weeks isn't very cost effective.I realize that but that is the problem. We have been hearing 2 weeks since the release date.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

>I realize that but that is the problem. We have been hearing 2>weeks since the release date. Hmmm. $70 bucks???This mornings FSX dawn flight around KSLC with real weather and the default Lear, was so gratifying, that I'd almost give up FS9 with it's many aircraft addons, if it came down to one sim or the other! The look and feel of flight is exceptional! :-hah Afterall, I'm a 50/50 eye candy/ flight dynamics pilot when it comes to simulated and real flight. Aces has done a wonderful job on both city-mountain textures and feel of moving airmasses at least in my area of flight. It's very impressive, and makes FS9 seem dull in comparison. And I'm always comparing. I'll get an excellent real weather FSX flight, and then immediately fire up FS9 and do the same.Being realistic, I hope to see some high fidelity, frame rate friendly 3rd party aircraft for FSX in the near future, although some FSX defaults are quite an improvement from previous versions.The key to FSX, is making sure that frame rates stay in the area of being fluid and stutter free. I run 20-25 fps normally, and don't get below 16 which might be a second or two. Your CPU must be capable, as well as adjustments in sliders or tweaks. I have yet to make any tweaks.Other than that, if it's only two more weeks, for sure, I'd probably wait! :-hah L.Adamson

Well, I couldn't wait.I must that that it seems to be a solid product. Is it perfect, no but it definitely has potential. I'm looking forward to applying some tweaks, add in some ac and getting the traffic going (which I am sure will cause issues). I am really pleased with the default airports. Cancun and Cozumel look decent as well as the small GA airport near my home - 7D2.I must say that the KDTW looks pretty good and it was wonderful to take off with traffic moving on I94. With the default, I don't think I will miss ImagineSim's DTW.

Why on good lord would you delete FS9 from your system? FS9 rocks. Of course I am talking about a very very beefed up FS9 with tons of addons. And while FSX is a good base to work from it will take a couple of years for the addons and computer hardware to catch up with it, just like happened going from FS98 to FS2002, FS2002 to FS2004.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

>Why on good lord would you delete FS9 from your system? FS9>rocks. Of course I am talking about a very very beefed up FS9>with tons of addons. And while FSX is a good base to work>from it will take a couple of years for the addons and>computer hardware to catch up with it, just like happened>going from FS98 to FS2002, FS2002 to FS2004.I was unemployed - looking for a job, applying to grad school and it was becoming a distraction. I had to adjust my priorities. Now that I have found that job and got in to grad school, I want to get as much FS in as possible before the semester begins. That is why I am being so impatient.Now I am not sure it was a "true distraction" but my wife sure felt it was.