Sign in to follow this  
FlightSimToday

How to set the correct weight and balance in the A320 Mod

Myself and my Flight Sim Network partner have been stupid. For those that have been following on stream will know we have complained for some time about how slippy the A320 is.

It just runs like a rocket even at idle taxi. Then a light bulb moment meant we realised what we had been doing wrong. 

This video is to help anyone unsure like we were.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlightSimToday said:

Myself and my Flight Sim Network partner have been stupid. For those that have been following on stream will know we have complained for some time about how slippy the A320 is.

It just runs like a rocket even at idle taxi. Then a light bulb moment meant we realised what we had been doing wrong. 

This video is to help anyone unsure like we were.

Wow.....super helpful video!  Thank you for posting!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caneman said:

Wow.....super helpful video!  Thank you for posting!

Im glad you found it useful. I just cant believe how obvious it is haha.

Doesn't the Simbrief import process take care of this when you load the plan using the process outlined in the video below (at 30 sec)? I've had a couple situations where the fuel load isn't sufficient for the flight, but it seems to work in most cases.

• Like 2

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Thanks for sharing, but you don’t need to use the MSFS Weight and Balance screen and drag sliders. You just missed one step in the FBW MCDU:

Go to ATSU > AOC > PERF / W&B

Do “OFP REQUEST SEND” to import SimBrief data, then “REFUEL LOAD” to load fuel, click next page, and then “PAYLOAD LOAD.”

Edited by FlyingInACessna
  • Like 1

Even with the added weight I still think the A320neo has either to much lift or still isn't heavy enough(in a flight model way). Normally it takes a couple of degrees of rotation to get to the angle of attack to generate enough lift to lift off. 

In the video It looks like the V-speeds calculated are probably correct in the real world, but for MSFS it looks like 10-15 kts to high. Approaching 140kts it really is light on the wheel as it already want to lift in a similair way a DHC-5 Buffalo would take off. 

• Upvote 1

You are exactly right @bigifooti. And it is caused by the same thing that also can result in floating at landing. I can't go into the cause right now, but we are working on a fix. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, duckbilled said:

Doesn't the Simbrief import process take care of this when you load the plan using the process outlined in the video below (at 30 sec)? I've had a couple situations where the fuel load isn't sufficient for the flight, but it seems to work in most cases.

16 hours ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Thanks for sharing, but you don’t need to use the MSFS Weight and Balance screen and drag sliders. You just missed one step in the FBW MCDU:

Go to ATSU > AOC > PERF / W&B

Do “OFP REQUEST SEND” to import SimBrief data, then “REFUEL LOAD” to load fuel, click next page, and then “PAYLOAD LOAD.”

Hello to you both.

The import does not work correctly as that is what we thought. It will load the fuel in but not the weights. Essentially you are telling the MCDU one set of information when you are in reality different.

Try it once and you will see what we mean.

• Like 1

Thanks for the video. I always set my weights in the FS2020 weights screen based on my flight plan, but it hasn’t seemed to help the taxi or takeoff issues 😞 

I’ve started to single engine taxi, which helps, and watch my v/s on takeoff and adjust if necessary.

Hopefully, with FBW’s custom fbw and a/p, this will get better.

33 minutes ago, nyfirefly11 said:

Thanks for the video. I always set my weights in the FS2020 weights screen based on my flight plan, but it hasn’t seemed to help the taxi or takeoff issues 😞 

I’ve started to single engine taxi, which helps, and watch my v/s on takeoff and adjust if necessary.

Hopefully, with FBW’s custom fbw and a/p, this will get better.

I think once FBW really get hold of things it will leap forward much more.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:12 AM, FlightSimToday said:

The import does not work correctly as that is what we thought.

Well, it works perfectly fine for me - every time, both fuel and payload. You need to make sure that you're using a correct a/c profile on Simbrief.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models