Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Arrives tomorrow, quick question...

Hello, my G2 arrives tomorrow. I managed to get a a refurbished unit from Germany to the U.K. 

Anyhow, I’ve a quick question, and please forgive my ignorance on this subject as I am brand new to VR. 

I currently run a 3090 with a i9900KS 5ghz 32gb ram. 
My monitor is g-sync and 3840x1600, which I renderscale to 110. This gives me 4224x1760. Roughly 7.4 million pixels. Everything on ultra. Works perfect. 
I am assuming (because I don’t really know, properly) that the G2 runs at 2160x2160 per eye, which equates to 4320x2160, which is roughly 9.3 million pixels? 
Therefore if I was to renderscale to 90, then it should in theory be 3888x1944 which is roughly 7.5 million pixels, which should give me the same performance as in 2D mode? 

Am I getting that right? 

I imagine it will be a lot slower than 2d mode at the sameish render scale due to to it being two different actual renders and the need for higher frame rates in vr vs 2d mode. 

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

The actual resolution of the rendered VR image is larger than the displayed image in the headset. The VR renderer needs to render a larger image in oder to do barrel distortion, so the displayed image is a cropped version of the larger, barred distorted image. So you can't set the render scale so it corresponds roughly to your monitor's pixel count and expect the same performance as on the monitor.

• Like 1

Man this is confusing. Is this why people set render Scale in the openXR developer app and also in the sim itself? 

I got a 3090 today and can run vr with taa100 and ss200 and most to high smoothly. U will be good

• Upvote 1

Lukas Dalton

7 hours ago, DaWu said:

I got a 3090 today and can run vr with taa100 and ss200 and most to high smoothly. U will be good

Perfect. What is SS200? I know that TAA 100 is the sim render scale right? 

TAA is temporal anti aliasing. It's fairly intensive processing but looks great as it eliminates almost all shimmer / aliasing but still looks quite sharp and clear. Maybe there's a text .cfg file that can be changed to set a custom amount instead of either full TAA, other anti aliasing modes or completely off? I'm a bit unsure what the "TAA 100" being mentioned by users is referring to as well, unless it's the in game VR render scale?

100 in game VR render scale seems to be the lowest setting that still gives very clear cockpit instruments. You'll be able to read them, even the smallest electronic displays, sitting comfortably in your seat without leaning forward. When set any lower they start to get a bit fuzzy. For some reason lowering the Open XR developer tool rendering scale (provided you don't go below 50) doesn't affect the instruments, so people have found keeping in game at 100 and reducing developer tool scale instead, yields clear instruments but fuzzier outside world while gaining some FPS. 

Even with a 3090 I'd be surprised if it gets much beyond 30fps with the G2 when flying the 747 over places like New York and LA. Other areas with small planes run quite well

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Hello, my G2 arrives tomorrow.

Please let us know how your first flight in VR was 😁

3 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

Please let us know how your first flight in VR was 😁

As soon as it’s in my hands I will. It was delayed with UPS at the moment. 

If you're expecting your VR headset to look as sharp and clear as your 2D monitor at the same resolution, you're in for a tremendous disappointment.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I am running a 10900kf and the 3090 with the G2.  I've found my sweet spot is openxr at 80, sim at 100.  LOD for both terrain and objects at 175.  I can go anywhere (downtown Manhattan etc., any airport with no change in performance).  I've got buildings, clouds, glass effects on ultra, the rest on high or med per taste, and ai ground aircraft traffic at 80.  I've found that the LOD at 175 (trees at medium BTW) blends well with the distance limitations of VR clarity.

For all the resolution discussions, the only thing I would like to see is bigger taxiway signs.  Unless stationary, than can be tricky to read, but I won't fly 2D anymore.  the immersion experience has no comparison on multi monitor setups, resolution clarity or not.  I use my 3 monitor setup for BIM and audio recording work where having the extra "desktop" comes in handy.  Maybe it's my vision in my mid 50s, but the representation on the monitors seems too crisp at distance.  One thing I do like from the Nvidia settings for VR is to utilize the sharpness = on.  Was too grainy in 2D, but is good in VR.  Enjoy VR!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bszuch said:

G2.  I've found my sweet spot is openxr at 80, sim at 100

What’s the difference from leaving open XR at 100 and setting the sim at 80? 

3 hours ago, David Mills said:

If you're expecting your VR headset to look as sharp and clear as your 2D monitor at the same resolution, you're in for a tremendous disappointment.

Despite not the sharpness, 2D does not give you the feeling in the belly when taking off or flying a steep turn,
the always present feeling where you are in space and not to mention the altitude estimation when landing.

But i really wanted to hear Ianrivaldosmith first VR experience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

But i really wanted to hear Ianrivaldosmith first VR experience.

As soon as I get it and try it I will post here and let you all know how it is. I’ve been reading about settings now for the last 24 hours or so, so that I am ready to go when it arrives. I understand most of it and have learnt a lot. 
Once thing I am still Unsure if is whether to leave the sim render scale at 100 and then reduce the scale in openXR down to 70. Or, leave openXR at 100 and reduce it in the sim to 70. 
Either way I believe that will bring it down to a respectable level of pixels for processing. Then I can focus on the other settings which are much easier afterwards. 

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

As soon as I get it and try it I will post here and let you all know how it is.

Don't panic, the sharpness comes slowly with the settings, make sure that you don't necessarily start in KLAX at the beginning but on a simple small airport with a small machine that you can take off and land undisturbed.
I would leave clouds and texture and windshield effects at Ultra and as you say render scale at 100,
I don't have a G2 but a Valve Index but it will be similar.

And we have similar Hardware.

• Like 1