Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

X-Aviation licensing Issue - Disappointing Support

Just now, mikealpha said:

But what is the purpose of that, other than let honest and  occasional XPlane users  confirm over and over again they are not a theft. 

It's an option.  Most users set it to auto activate every 2 weeks.  The only time we ask for a manual re-activation is once every 6 months.  And we do THAT because sometimes people sell their PC.  If they forget to de-activate the add on, and it's still on the hard drive, the person with the PC won't know the password and email, and the original customers products and licenses are safely locked on that PC.  That's a layer of security I would like to see in every product I buy.

7 minutes ago, mikealpha said:

Thanks for the explanation. But what is the purpose of that, other than let honest and  occasional XPlane users  confirm over and over again they are not a theft. 

It's a security measure. We did some research and found the sweet spot where 99% of our customers would be when it comes to using X-Plane, and that was it. It also prevents situations of sharing on activated PC's by friends, or stolen laptops/sold PC's.

If you don't use X-Plane at least once every two weeks then yes, you'll have the horror of entering in your e-mail and password. If you do use it at least once, you'll never know it even exists.

You certainly won't be having to deal with us. I think it's an okay trade-off vs. having to contact us for hardware changes and waiting for a reply. If you're genuinely upset about a few characters on your keyboard once every 3 weeks or so because you don't fly X-Plane enough to trigger an auto-activation, I guess I can't help you and will need to allow your bitterness of the situation stand. 🙂

But really, it's not that hard. We give a lot of freedom in our system. You've made it sound like you'd be dead in the water, which is entirely inaccurate.

Founder of X-Aviation

You guys find all kinds of excuses for your insecurity and not being able to find a better way of protecting your software.

I was away from my home for 8 months and had my laptop with me, while during this period of time nobody touched my PC, (I had a different windows version and other software) when I came home and fired up my PC none of the software installed asked me to re-activate.

I just did the necessary updates without any intrusive questions and fear from developers of wrongdoing.

Believe me, if they want to hack (pirate) your software they will do it quicker than you can imagine.

Unfortunately, not even Government agencies our days can't keep up with these individuals.

Just find a better way as others did and stop finding excuses, you just make more people upset with all this arguing.
  • Like 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

X-aviation activations system was very boring for me, is the first reason why I stop flying with X-plane. Now P3Dv4 and 5 are in good places.

Have fs2020 but waiting for better aircrafts... a320NX is on the good way.

25 minutes ago, ms2 said:

X-aviation activations system was very boring for me, is the first reason why I stop flying with X-plane. Now P3Dv4 and 5 are in good places.

Have fs2020 but waiting for better aircrafts... a320NX is on the good way.

How do you make an activation system exciting? Everytime you have to re-activate it has a chance of deleting your whole system? 😕

Edited by akatham

1 hour ago, killthespam said:
You guys find all kinds of excuses for your insecurity and not being able to find a better way of protecting your software.

Just find a better way as others did and stop finding excuses, you just make more people upset with all this arguing.

Sorry, but this whole comment is just laughable. In terms of X-Plane, we literally have the most consumer-friendly version of DRM with self-management at the moment. I won't get into that debate with you.

1 hour ago, killthespam said:

Believe me, if they want to hack (pirate) your software they will do it quicker than you can imagine.

We monitor it daily. Since moving to this version of the system they've been trying for 3 years. They're pretty upset about it.

You're making a bunch of something out of nothing at this point. The attitude you have over a simple e-mail and password box because you didn't use X-Plane in 2 weeks is just...wow. Glad I don't have many customers like you. I'd go nuts!

Edited by Cameron XA
  • Like 2

Founder of X-Aviation

Morning Cameron.

This thread has become a lot "stronger" than I imagined due to my frustration, I did not mean it to go that far.

If it was as easy as putting in email address and password, then I would be fine with this.  However, this morning I completely shut off Windows defender, Windows firewall and my Norton, firewall, antivirus, malware....and I am still not able to activate these planes.  Therefore, I'm thinking this protection is not quite as easy peasy as it appears. I have never had this before.

Anyway, while I'm doing some other scanning of old family photos I'm going to keep looking for a solution until I drop dead of exhaustion..🤪

I don't think my attempt to upgrade to Win10, which failed, and I reverted to Win7 has anything to do with it as one person has suggested, but it was on my mind as a potential source but I can't see how.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

42 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

If it was as easy as putting in email address and password, then I would be fine with this.

For three years there are hundreds of thousands of customers using this current iteration of the system without issue. You were one of them till you did some changes to your PC OS recently. It remains as simple as it always has. I have exactly zero reports similar in nature to yours right now, and this is with many thousands of people activating their fresh TBM update all day.

As we've discussed and diagnosed by cross-checking your IP and looking at server history access, your computer is completely blocking any kind of transmission to our server within X-Plane, and thus not even making a request to our server for activation. Somewhere you have a firewall or antivirus at play. My hunch is on Norton, even when you think it's disabled.

I suppose your router could have a firewall too, but I doubt that's it considering you had no issue activating prior to your OS changes.

Edited by Cameron XA

Founder of X-Aviation

3 minutes ago, Cameron XA said:

As we've discussed and diagnosed by cross-checking your IP and looking at server history access, your computer is completely blocking any kind of transmission to our server within X-Plane, and thus not even making a request to our server for activation. Somewhere you have a firewall or antivirus at play. My hunch is on Norton, even when you think it's disabled.

And I am aware that this could be the case as well, which is why I'm looking deep into this.  It's taking absolutely unreasonable amount of time though Cameron. 

To put this into perspective.  I also own licenses for 10 Carenado XP aircraft, recently upgraded for various reasons, I have also downloaded those new installers, they also changed their license serial codes, which I then had to reactivate.  I had one that didn't work, ONE.  And that one, the company provided me with a new serial which did work, it was their issue, assigning an incorrect serial.  So, other than that, smooth sailing.

I hope you can also see this from my customer side. One company, installers aren't working, another all but one worked and the issue was sorted out quickly with a new serial code.  Bingo I'm up flying with their new versions.

And the Norton was fully back on with firewall, antivirus and malware protections turned on!

Just saying, please be aware that the customer experience is important. And I did read  that a bunch of folks seem to be not happy, I guess there always will be.  Anyway I'm not buying any turbo BN-2 Island as was planned, at least until I get this sorted out.  Bare with me.  And please be there in case I need a little more help.

Bryan

Near CAM3

8 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

And I did read  that a bunch of folks seem to be not happy, I guess there always will be.

But not for even remotely close to this reason or problem, and you never have any full picture in another persons woes. Perspective is everything, Bryan. I can find a negative something about anything if I want. That's the nature of forums and designated support arenas.

Admittedly, I am wearing thin on this one, as it's extremely clear the problem lies on your end, but come here to state "I did not mean it to go that far", yet you continue to press further.

You can take it to support tickets if you like. I won't be around here much longer.

Edited by Cameron XA

Founder of X-Aviation

I THINK IT'S RESOLVED!!! The problem was indeed on my end! It was not system related, it was not Norton nor Windows firewalls, BUT it was an addon!!!  Please be aware.

I removed all my flywithlua scripts, one at a time.

I removed one called "x-slew" which converts key strokes to make XP similar to FSX/P3D for slewing.  There was, it appears to be, some sort of conflict with a keystoke or more with this script running.

By removing this script activation appear to be working.

@Cameron XA you may want to make note of this anomaly.  Yes I can confirm that this is the conflict my planes are up and running.  Thanks for you patience with this weird problem.  I was getting pretty desperate, but I know from my decades in this hobby conflicts can be a bugger.

cheers Bryan

Near CAM3

9 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I THINK IT'S RESOLVED!!! The problem was indeed on my end! It was not system related, it was not Norton nor Windows firewalls, BUT it was an addon!!!  Please be aware.

Thank you for confirming.

9 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

@Cameron XA you may want to make note of this anomaly.  Yes I can confirm that this is the conflict my planes are up and running. 

Will do. Never heard of it till now, so I have no idea what that script could have been doing to block outgoing data transmission, but glad you solved it none the less.

• Like 1

Founder of X-Aviation

@Cameron XA, time for a couple beer I'm thinking!  Sent you a personal reply on the ticket as well.

cheers...looks like I will be buying that other plane afterall..😀

• Upvote 1

Near CAM3

29 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I removed one called "x-slew" which converts key strokes to make XP similar to FSX/P3D for slewing

The **** some people install 😂

Edited by Janov

On the one occasion I had to contact X-Aviation support with regard to an install issue with the Islander I got a very swift response which solved the issue.

I had to delete something in one of the Gizmo files although I can't remember what it was now. I then asked whether I could delete Gizmo now the plane is installed but was told I couldn't. I still do not understand what Gizmo really is and what it does? Is it using up resources? I have to say I'd rather not have it somehow.