Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

MSFS2020 thoughts

I did my first flight in MSFS in a couple of weeks and as always am blown away by the scenery. The sense of immersion is that good. I can say that after 40 years of flying in the real world (now retired)  both fixed and rotary wing.

The things that makes me park the sim is the lack of decent aircraft a situation hopefully to change soon with the arrival of the CRJ....and hopefully soon after others. I am grateful for the work of those talented people who have modified the CJ4 and TBM to greatly improve them. The next thing is to get the weather nailed. I'd love to see the PMDG DC6, the Toliss air busses from XP11, the Milvis KA350..... plus an accurate add-on weather package. Then being the scenery junky that I am I may never go back to the other sims except for a visit. Be interesting to see where MSFS is in a year.

• Like 6

Just Flights Arrow III is also expected to come soon. That'll satisfy my GA needs for a while. Loved that bird in XP.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I haven't flown it at all for some weeks - partly because I'm engrossed with the Run 8 train sim but also because it got old flying around the default aircraft replete with bugs. Even now checking back in, there doesn't seem much at all on the horizon for those of us who like to fly the older heavy iron (DC10's L1011's even a 767). I know we have the FBW A320 and it's great but still a modern airliner and of course has to be updated every time Asobo introduce a patch or fix.

Maybe the UK scenery update next week will draw me back in, albeit aimed at the low and slow crowd rather than those who want to simulate a 1000 mile passenger jet hop.

I have hundreds of hours in the C 152-172 aircraft, and I think the Default C 172 flies pretty well. Not A2A quality yet, but let's face it, the A2A aircraft cost almost as much as the Base MS 2020. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

19 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

I haven't flown it at all for some weeks - partly because I'm engrossed with the Run 8 train sim but also because it got old flying around the default aircraft replete with bugs. Even now checking back in, there doesn't seem much at all on the horizon for those of us who like to fly the older heavy iron (DC10's L1011's even a 767). I know we have the FBW A320 and it's great but still a modern airliner and of course has to be updated every time Asobo introduce a patch or fix.

Maybe the UK scenery update next week will draw me back in, albeit aimed at the low and slow crowd rather than those who want to simulate a 1000 mile passenger jet hop.

Is Run 8 still around. I spent a ton of money and many many hours on that sim years back, and when they started the infighting amongst the programmer and the supporters, I left. I think I even threw my Raildriver in the dumpster one day, when I was cleaning house. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Is Run 8 still around. I spent a ton of money and many many hours on that sim years back, and when they started the infighting amongst the programmer and the supporters, I left. I think I even threw my Raildriver in the dumpster one day, when I was cleaning house. 

The multiplayer scene is not very active but I prefer SP anyway, running the industries etc.

3 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

The multiplayer scene is not very active but I prefer SP anyway, running the industries etc.

Yeah, all I did was Multiplayer, because that's all they had at the time. The final straw for me was some old railroad has been started cursing me out because I broke a knuckle on a steep climb, call me every curse word he could think of.  I signed off and never went back. 

16 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah, all I did was Multiplayer, because that's all they had at the time. The final straw for me was some old railroad has been started cursing me out because I broke a knuckle on a steep climb, call me every curse word he could think of.  I signed off and never went back. 

:gaul:

Back to FS2020, well I did fire it up yesterday evening but still love/hate. After 10 minutes waiting for the black loading screen to conclude (I don't have any add ons, not even the FBW A320 at present) thought I would try the 747 for a hop between Keflavik and London. All set up, take off roll, pulls to the left, twist joystick to correct and nothing happened. Crashed into the side. My stick all configured after the last update when they changed all the settings. Going to try again in a while, but if it happens again it looks like the sim will be going on the backburner for another month and back to lugging freight out of Bakersfield!

Edit: Yep, still pulling off to the side even after running my stick through the configurator.

Edited by Elvensmith

53 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

:gaul:

Back to FS2020, well I did fire it up yesterday evening but still love/hate. After 10 minutes waiting for the black loading screen to conclude (I don't have any add ons, not even the FBW A320 at present) thought I would try the 747 for a hop between Keflavik and London. All set up, take off roll, pulls to the left, twist joystick to correct and nothing happened. Crashed into the side. My stick all configured after the last update when they changed all the settings. Going to try again in a while, but if it happens again it looks like the sim will be going on the backburner for another month and back to lugging freight out of Bakersfield!

Edit: Yep, still pulling off to the side even after running my stick through the configurator.

I have had this issue as well. It has to do with the view. FS2020 automatically adds keyboard flight controls by default. this means that to move your view using the arrow keys also moves the flight controls. this doesn't happen all the time but check and see if that could be a factor. it had me stumped for a good hour googling to find the issue before actually checking to see if FS mapped controls to the keyboard.

17 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

partly because I'm engrossed with the Run 8

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find other Run 8 fans here.   A more esoteric hobby than even flight simulation.  😄   I usually spent my time building massive rakes in the hump-yards.   For me they're a fascinating logical puzzle, and the physics in Run 8 make kicking cars very rewarding.

@ShortFinal... Worth a shot as I set the arrow keys back up to move the view after the last (?) update kicked them out. Will check there's no conflict. May be I need to alter the view keys to use Ctrl or Shift.

@kaosfere… Nice to find other Run 8 users lurking. I have to say uncovering and learning the industry features has transformed the sim and given it real purpose. I just had an 8000 feet consist land in Mojave with traffic for the Trona branch and the various local industries. Will take a while to sort out!

Edit: Oh the other thing I noticed - on loading a saved game the FMC is still dropping the flight plan.

Edited by Elvensmith
FMC bug still present.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, dbw1 said:

I did my first flight in MSFS in a couple of weeks and as always am blown away by the scenery. The sense of immersion is that good. I can say that after 40 years of flying in the real world (now retired)  both fixed and rotary wing.

The things that makes me park the sim is the lack of decent aircraft a situation hopefully to change soon with the arrival of the CRJ....and hopefully soon after others. I am grateful for the work of those talented people who have modified the CJ4 and TBM to greatly improve them. The next thing is to get the weather nailed. I'd love to see the PMDG DC6, the Toliss air busses from XP11, the Milvis KA350..... plus an accurate add-on weather package. Then being the scenery junky that I am I may never go back to the other sims except for a visit. Be interesting to see where MSFS is in a year.

I feel like at this stage of MSFS its more like a game and something for people who arent really interested in true airline sim, but for those who  just likes exploring or GA. The scenery and graphics are truely breathtaking but at this point in time there isnt a good enough addon aircraft for me to concider switching. Although i truely do think that it is the future of flight simming and that it within 2 years will be the superior sim.

24 minutes ago, Rob1n said:

I feel like at this stage of MSFS its more like a game and something for people who arent really interested in true airline sim, but for those who  just likes exploring or GA. The scenery and graphics are truely breathtaking but at this point in time there isnt a good enough addon aircraft for me to concider switching. Although i truely do think that it is the future of flight simming and that it within 2 years will be the superior sim.

I have been adding scenery almost since the beginning and being in Canada surprisingly there are some really good Canadian scenery producers plus one fellow in Switzerland (SimAddOns) whose MSFS creations are very good. Real world weather is getting much better but still a ways to go. I've been building up my MSFS to be ready when payware aircraft become available that I want. The CRJ will probably be the first more complex type....then I will get a custon livery from IniBuilds for it. Hopefully not too long now.

As to scenery XP11 with orbx TE plus others including some great Cdn devs, XP these days is very good and coupled with excellent aircraft....check out the payware TBM900 with the Garmin 1000....excellent...so many great addon aircraft. I will probably always have XP installed too.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's great.  I'm loving every minute of it.  It just seems organic - the weather, turbulence, lighting.....

Bring on some good ATC and I'm packing in my job.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:49 PM, dbw1 said:

The things that makes me park the sim is the lack of decent aircraft

How is the Working Title CJ4 not a "decent" aircraft? And the sim has been out not even 6 months.