Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

CJ4 Working title AOA Landing speeds!

I need enlighting!

I have over 200 hours in DCS F-16 and a big part of that aircraft is how it lands and its all about AOA, then I have a few hundred hours in the DCS F-18 with a lot of super carrier landing again all about AOA.

Now the CJ4 AOA is .6, after entering wind temp etc in the FMS and it gives landing speeds, they never get you close to the AOA.

Now I have not tied but I could not fill in the landing FMS at all, pitch it to "O" and like a F-16/F-18 the landing speed is what it is. So whats wrong or what am I missing here?

Enlighten me please.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I haven't tried the plane yet, but what are you setting flaps to?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

9 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I haven't tried the plane yet, but what are you setting flaps to?

Landing Flaps are 35

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I really don't know how AoA use in CJ4 IRL. But better ask CJ4 team on discord since they have RL CJ4 drivers there

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

As long as you grabbed the latest beta where they fixed the flaps final approach is like 94 kias on average I believe.  Over the threshold I just idle the power.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In general when landing you use thrust (throttle) to control rate of descent and pitch to control speed.  With the CJ4 that works until say 500AGL (or you can do this earlier in the approach once stabilized). At that point reverse the above rules, use pitch to control angle of attack and thrust to control speed.  Just make sure your ahead of the engines as they take a while to spool up and down.  I'm not a real life pilot but it works with the CJ4 to keep the AOA on the green circle for the landing.

• Like 1

Agree with Ryan - using the latest v0.10.3 beta on a flight just completed, the FMS calculated Vref at 100 knots but final approach speed was about 95 knots for the AOA to be solidly in the green.

David, I also recommend their Discord  

Devs are fairly active (remember they are doing this in their spare time for free) 

https://discord.gg/w6hRc8sh

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The orange and green AoA indicator is indeed not totally perfect, and we still have a bit of flaps lift adjustment to dial in (although the latest version has the flaps workaround baked in). That being said Vref should be quite close to 0.6 on the indexer.

Our flight model guru is busy on the Aerosoft CRJ at the moment, but there will be some more stuff coming to the CJ4 soon.

-Matt

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I’ve watched some YouTube, one with a IRL pilot talking thought the landing.

The difference that I see is he tells the guy to drop the landing gear just before GS and then full flaps. So he is fully configured on GS capture.

You cannot trim pitch for AoA with AP on like you can in a F-16/F-18. 
I currently drop landing gear and full flaps at 5 miles. I am ofc on speed for landing.

But by the looks of the video I need to drop gear and flaps just before GS. I will try this today and hopefully that’s the problem. Yes Ryan I am on the latest version. Dropping full flaps at 5 miles like  the FSL A320 is not working. To many aircraft lol.

I have to say the CJ4 WT is wonderful and I am very grateful for the work the team has done. Thank you.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

3 flights today.

Something is out. But its not a big deal, just best to report it. picture say more than words. Ive had to white out what you see as I am beta testing something.

The IRL pilot says once you have the right AoA you dont flare you just drive it into the runway, I did and it was very fine landing.

Screenshot-633.png

Edited by Nyxx

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

3 flights today.

Something is out. But its not a big deal, just best to report it. picture say more than words. Ive had to white out what you see as I am beta testing something.

The IRL pilot says once you have the right AoA you dont flare you just drive it into the runway, I did and it was very fine landing.

Screenshot-633.png

Flaring to land jets is like squatting to pee. You appear to be way slow and that is too much trim (see VREF on the tape and trim indicator green box).

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Flaring to land jets is like squatting to pee. You appear to be way slow and that is too much trim (see VREF on the tape and trim indicator green box).

Please grasp and follow the topic.

Edited by Nyxx

Here is the vid with a IRL CJ4 Captain talking through but skip to 1:56.00

Gear down just before GS

130Kts to short final

Vref +10

Dont flare as the AoA is perfect.

Edited by Nyxx

You are way too slow there... I tend to agree that with the flight model right now you kind of drive the airplane on. If you flare any airplane in the sim it floats and floats.. like a lack of gravity. I believe the jet has trailing link gear anyways... but you mention the F16.. this is not an F16. I have found the sweet spot for landing and tend to get it on there pretty good. One thing I recommend is pushing the yoke forward and getting that nosewheel down in a hurry. Helps maintain control. 

Edited by jpe828